Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days old and attacked by a lumber truck and its screws :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would share this with people who would probably be more sympathetic.

Had the car 2 days, driving on a local bridge, and a truck overtook me and dropped a couple of boxes of large lumber screws. The first I ran straight over and the second exploded on the attached forklift and pelted my car.

Thankfully the local Tesla Service Center inspected for damage and other than a screw in a tire and some minor scratches the car is fine. Had the tire replaced (NOT PATCHED!) and am waiting for the building supply's insurance company to contact me.

Reactions: WilliamG
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! Glad you had the TeslaCam going to record it. You may have been royally "screwed" otherwise.

Had a large bolt fall off a truck, or something, and it next whanged into my window, showering wifey with glass. As I was headed to the SC, I texted ahead, and they replaced said windshield when I got there.

I did not have my camera on, never do, but insurance company paid in full despite me NOT trying to pull several large trucks over and shouting and waving. Things like this happen, even to burners. And if an insurance company complains at all, it's time to shop around.

No one was screwed when I bolted. Old windshield had 96,000 miles on it, was somewhat pitted, so I was glad to start my next hundred thousand miles with a clear view of the world

O s**t. Hard to avoid if not impossible sometimes but even harder to accept when your car's brand new.

A lot times companies will say you can't prove it was from our vehicle, but in your case thanks to TeslaCam you can! So happy to see a new owner having a USB device set up already.

Someone did not properly load that truck so negligence on their part. Thankfully it didn't hit your windshield or cause you or anyone else to hit another car avoiding it. If you turn this into your insurance I'm sure they will in turn get the money back from the trucker's insurance company and if there was any deductable you'd get that back too. Glad you are okay.

Is there any reason to have a semi on the left most passing lane
since I believe semi, and passengers cars with a trailer, have a slower speed limit?

The truck must have been quite speeding, as I often noticed that if I'm on the left most passing lane while driving at the speed limit,
I often get a car just behind my bumper, flashing light or using the horn to try to pass me.

Last edited:
Why are you just maintaining the limit, while in the passing lane?
Seconded. There is a reason they are honking and flashing. You should not be in the left lane doing the speed limit. This drives people NUTS!
I think you kind of over react. I have a 75 miles one way commute in a very congested area
where almost all the lanes are moving at about the same speed. The traffic condition very similar to the above video.

I drive at the speed of the traffic so I cannot go faster than the car in front of me as if is often difficult to change lane.
Most of the time If I'm on the left most lane is because I'm using the carpool lane or I need to branch out using a left lane exit.
Otherwise when you have a long commute, it is more relaxing not using the faster lane where pepople don't keep a safe distance.

But my point was to wonder why a Semi was on the fast lane and speeding at more than 85 m/h?

And what was the speed limit in this area?
It was 75, and I was probably doing closer to 85 since I was passing half of the traffic and half of it was going about the same speed.

But my point was to wonder why a Semi was on the fast lane and speeding at more than 85 m/h?
EXACTLY - There was NO REASON for it to overtake me. I was in the 2nd from the left lane and I was actually going to get out of its way when the traffic to my right cleared. The driver was simply in too much of a hurry.

almost all the lanes are moving at about the same speed.
I cannot go faster than the car in front of me as if is often difficult to change lane.
it is more relaxing not using the faster lane where pepople don't keep a safe distance.
All 3 are symptoms of the exact same problem: people cruising on the left lane. If people adhere to the passing rule, it's a beautifully self-sorting algorithm

because he was trying to pass

Reactions: jboy210
It was 75, and I was probably doing closer to 85 since I was passing half of the traffic and half of it was going about the same speed.

EXACTLY - There was NO REASON for it to overtake me.

I was in the 2nd from the left lane and I was actually going to get out of its way when the traffic to my right cleared.

The driver was simply in too much of a hurry.

Truck Speed Limit Regulations by State

State Florida
Rural Interstates 70
Urban Interstates 65

Other Limited Access Roads 70

State California
Rural Interstates 55
Urban Interstates 55
Other Limited Access Roads 55​

What is the maximum speed limit for commercial vehicles in California?

Certain commercial vehicles have the maximum speed of 55 mph on highways. These include:
  • Truck or tractor with three or more axles
  • Truck or tractor drawing another vehicle behind it
  • School bus with students inside
  • Farm labor vehicle with passengers inside
  • Vehicles carrying explosives
If you are going to drive a big truck, bus or towing a vehicle, you must stay in the right-hand lane
or a lane that is specially marked and designated for slower vehicles.

If you are driving on a road with four or more lanes, you may only drive at the two right lanes.​

Last edited: