Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T
  • Local GPS maps that make navigation possible without a cellular signal

According to the 3 manual, navigation works with maps downloaded and updated via Wifi, so navigation should not be dependent on a cell signal, correct?

p. 98:
Map Updates

As updated maps become available, they are
automatically sent to Model 3 over Wi-Fi. To
ensure you receive them, periodically connect
Model 3 to a Wi-Fi network (see Connecting
to Wi-Fi on page 103). The touchscreen
displays a message informing you when new
maps are installed.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and MP3Mike
A faster processor would enable more features,
(etc)

I might well pay good money for those features. I would not pay anything for the hardware that might possibly in the future enable those features maybe if Tesla gets around to it or maybe not. Kind of like how I have no intention of paying for FSD until and unless it's actually rolled out to the fleet.
For me, cutting edge technology is high on the list.
I'm not excited about technology for its own sake, but for the sake of what it can do for me, and I'm especially not excited about hardware for its own sake unless it enables functionality that I care about, that actually runs and does stuff.

That said, sure, it'd be great if the hardware were upgradeable. At present though, it doesn't seem like Tesla is very excited to embrace that model. More the Apple model we all know and love, where you upgrade your hardware by throwing it away and buying new hardware. ;-)

Reactions: MarkS22
We took delivery Thursday the 28th in Fremont at the new delivery center. We both really like the car a lot. It is unexpectedly different than our Model S 75D (which we love). This is not necessarily a bad thing.

First thing is the delivery process. It was pretty streamlined. We were in and out in an hour. They knew we already had a model S and the only available option was the cliff notes version. That was fine. The paperwork was painless and in order. The representative was polite and well spoken. There is a Barrista. So that was nice. PRO TIP- trade up whichever cell phone charging wire with the people taking delivery next to you. They give you one android usb cord and one Apple one. Most likely you need two of one type.

Build quality was really good. I'm particularly impressed with the interior. Its just so original and well thought out, and just... different. I got in and said wow, "I feel like I'm in a space ship." Then when my friend got in later he said the same thing, then the father in law- same thing. So I don't think its just me. The seats are wonderful, I love them. The single screen is growing on me. There is a perplexingly large amount of head room for a car of its size. It feels like even more than it is with the glass roof.

The exterior quality was also really good. I couldn't find a single flaw in the paint. The panels fit together well with the exception of the hood. I think it is sunken in a little more than it should be. So there its a bit lower than the surrounding fenders. Hopefully they can adjust it. I couldn't find any other flaws with the panel alignment.

Some of the details aren't quite as refined as the Model S. for instance the charging port is strangely large and awkward looking when extended. The light for the charger port are also located over a T symbol off to the side. The lines of the car are generally a little more utilitarian. The steering wheel is smaller. There are less stalks surrounding it. For instance you have to dig into the screen menus in order to change your follow distance on autopilot. It doesn't seem to have auto high beams like the model S. I would describe the car as minimalist. There really isn't anything there that doesn't need to be there. It has a lot of open space. I would also say the car is a bit less pretentious than the model S. Everyone reading this knows what it is, and that its rare at the moment. But it it doesn't quite garner the attention the S does.

On the other hand some things are a straight up improvement over the Model S. It has hangars for your dry cleaning! They even retract into the headliner. It has lighted vanity mirrors (nice ones too). It has hooks (also retractable) in the frunk to hold your grocery bags. The charger bag has velcro on the bottom to keep it from moving around in the trunk! There are cup holders in the door panels. Small details but improvements.

The stereo is hands down better than the upgraded Model S one. One of my hobbies is high end home stereo equipment. Trust me- it sounds really great. The soundstage is middle center. The highs are crisp and clear, and the bass is adequate to impressive. They put some work into it. Sound quality is all about personal taste, but I'm really happy with it.

When you start driving you really notice just how exemplary the visibility is. Its kind like driving a bubble. In all directions you just see outside with minimal obstruction. My wife was in the driver's seat initially and immediately floored the accelerator. Its quick! Really quick. It isn't the takes your breath away, startle your passengers quick. But thats okay. Its more acceleration than you need. For such a light car with RWD it may be more than enough at times.

So the thing that becomes quickly evident is that it is a light car compared to the Model S. The rear wheel drive makes it even more obvious. You can break the rear end loose! I'm not talking about drifting here. But if you drive aggressively around a corner the rear will slip out a bit. The model S (AWD version) will go exactly where you point it, its unflappable that way. The rear wheels just don't break loose. The model 3 is very different. Its umm... playful. Like a sports car. The steering is light and sprightly. You feel the bumps in the road. If you goose the accelerator while going around a turn the rear wheels will break loose. Its really different. Its more fun. You could put driving skills to more use than the S, and have a good time doing it. I wasn't expecting this aspect. But I'm not disappointed.

There are a couple of things not implemented yet. The Wifi is disabled. The scheduled charging is not available. The autopilot calibrated in about 50 miles. However it (the autopilot) had an issue where it was umm "reluctant" to start again in traffic on the freeway after coming to a stop in traffic. I'm sure it'll all be corrected in a software update, which is coming "soon." I know the story. With Tesla the software is always improving, and they always release products a little bit unfinished. I'm not quite willing to shell out for "full self driving" before it works. However their history of using somewhat beta software doesn't really bother me. I'm patient with them. I'm really happy to have received mine so early. They have overdelivered with everything they have made in my opinion. The model 3 is no exception.

Great summary. Particularly excited to hear your summary of the sound quality--better than the upgraded "S", should be pretty impressive then. Is your color the gray or silver? looks different in the two photos. I'm trying to decide which way to go for when my config day arrives.

Additional first impression after 3 days.
Big Negative: The HiDef screen is great, however, I keep the rear camera on a lot. In the early morning/evening the sun is low and the glare is very bad. The HiDef screen is also much darker - normal for HiDef - and with the glare makes the scene hard to depict. Also, the glare emphasizes the many, many, many handprints that get on this 'all purpose' control panel are incredibly visible when the glare is bad.

I would buy the 3, rather than pay 60% more for an S, but I will not trade my S for my wife's 3. Some of the tech is better, but the S is more comfortable for extended driving, there are more controls immediately available to monitor different things (mileage vs navigation, etc) and a split screen that I can customize rather than a single screen and a small control area. IMO, the air suspension will make a huge difference for this car.

Nice thread for Model S owners to brag or blab about their older model Teslas.

I am a very happy 2016 Model X AP1 owner.

Model "X" is the flagship Tesla. IMO, and fulfills its mission for me every day.

Quite simply, it is the nicest, safest, fastest SUV made today.

I have owned nearly every type and brand of sedan and SUV over the years and I would not trade my Model X for any of them, especially a toy like the Model 3, regardless.

Yes, my Model X is LARGE, HEAVY and EXPENSIVE and so are most vehicles on the road, today. Imagine yourself in an unscheduled meeting with a Ford 350 Duellie, a GMC Tahoe XL, a Nissan Armada, etc. not to mention the myriad members of the OTR freight business on I35 at 70 mph, day and night.

In a Tesla Model X you can count on surviving. And that is what I call "great American engineering".

especially a toy like the Model 3, regardless.
And so it begins. :( I thought we were all a family here!
t2623.gif

whats more annoying is the model S has locking blinker stalks, and the 3 does not. driving the model s for two years now i have gotten used to what to expect, now its all different with the 3. easy enough to get used to... but it is also easy enough to drive a mile with the blinker on when you think it was off...
Remember when - I think sometime in 2015 - Tesla inverted the positions of the blinker/headlights stalk and the AP stalk? All of us who bought a new Model S spent at least two weeks infuriating drivers in front of us by flashing our headlights at them whereas we only wanted to turn on AP!
:rolleyes:
Large doesn't equal more safe, and hasn't for a long time.
A small hand on a big button, that is upon which the fate of humankind now depends :)

We took delivery Thursday the 28th in Fremont at the new delivery center. We both really like the car a lot. It is unexpectedly different than our Model S 75D (which we love). This is not necessarily a bad thing.

First thing is the delivery process. It was pretty streamlined. We were in and out in an hour. They knew we already had a model S and the only available option was the cliff notes version. That was fine. The paperwork was painless and in order. The representative was polite and well spoken. There is a Barrista. So that was nice. PRO TIP- trade up whichever cell phone charging wire with the people taking delivery next to you. They give you one android usb cord and one Apple one. Most likely you need two of one type.

Build quality was really good. I'm particularly impressed with the interior. Its just so original and well thought out, and just... different. I got in and said wow, "I feel like I'm in a space ship." Then when my friend got in later he said the same thing, then the father in law- same thing. So I don't think its just me. The seats are wonderful, I love them. The single screen is growing on me. There is a perplexingly large amount of head room for a car of its size. It feels like even more than it is with the glass roof.

The exterior quality was also really good. I couldn't find a single flaw in the paint. The panels fit together well with the exception of the hood. I think it is sunken in a little more than it should be. So there its a bit lower than the surrounding fenders. Hopefully they can adjust it. I couldn't find any other flaws with the panel alignment.

Some of the details aren't quite as refined as the Model S. for instance the charging port is strangely large and awkward looking when extended. The light for the charger port are also located over a T symbol off to the side. The lines of the car are generally a little more utilitarian. The steering wheel is smaller. There are less stalks surrounding it. For instance you have to dig into the screen menus in order to change your follow distance on autopilot. It doesn't seem to have auto high beams like the model S. I would describe the car as minimalist. There really isn't anything there that doesn't need to be there. It has a lot of open space. I would also say the car is a bit less pretentious than the model S. Everyone reading this knows what it is, and that its rare at the moment. But it it doesn't quite garner the attention the S does.

On the other hand some things are a straight up improvement over the Model S. It has hangars for your dry cleaning! They even retract into the headliner. It has lighted vanity mirrors (nice ones too). It has hooks (also retractable) in the frunk to hold your grocery bags. The charger bag has velcro on the bottom to keep it from moving around in the trunk! There are cup holders in the door panels. Small details but improvements.

The stereo is hands down better than the upgraded Model S one. One of my hobbies is high end home stereo equipment. Trust me- it sounds really great. The soundstage is middle center. The highs are crisp and clear, and the bass is adequate to impressive. They put some work into it. Sound quality is all about personal taste, but I'm really happy with it.

When you start driving you really notice just how exemplary the visibility is. Its kind like driving a bubble. In all directions you just see outside with minimal obstruction. My wife was in the driver's seat initially and immediately floored the accelerator. Its quick! Really quick. It isn't the takes your breath away, startle your passengers quick. But thats okay. Its more acceleration than you need. For such a light car with RWD it may be more than enough at times.

So the thing that becomes quickly evident is that it is a light car compared to the Model S. The rear wheel drive makes it even more obvious. You can break the rear end loose! I'm not talking about drifting here. But if you drive aggressively around a corner the rear will slip out a bit. The model S (AWD version) will go exactly where you point it, its unflappable that way. The rear wheels just don't break loose. The model 3 is very different. Its umm... playful. Like a sports car. The steering is light and sprightly. You feel the bumps in the road. If you goose the accelerator while going around a turn the rear wheels will break loose. Its really different. Its more fun. You could put driving skills to more use than the S, and have a good time doing it. I wasn't expecting this aspect. But I'm not disappointed.

There are a couple of things not implemented yet. The Wifi is disabled. The scheduled charging is not available. The autopilot calibrated in about 50 miles. However it (the autopilot) had an issue where it was umm "reluctant" to start again in traffic on the freeway after coming to a stop in traffic. I'm sure it'll all be corrected in a software update, which is coming "soon." I know the story. With Tesla the software is always improving, and they always release products a little bit unfinished. I'm not quite willing to shell out for "full self driving" before it works. However their history of using somewhat beta software doesn't really bother me. I'm patient with them. I'm really happy to have received mine so early. They have overdelivered with everything they have made in my opinion. The model 3 is no exception.

We picked our Red 3 up Tuesday and my first impressions are very similar in every respect.

Reactions: onautopilot
whats more annoying is the model S has locking blinker stalks, and the 3 does not. driving the model s for two years now i have gotten used to what to expect, now its all different with the 3. easy enough to get used to... but it is also easy enough to drive a mile with the blinker on when you think it was off...
I thought the same thing... but now I appreciate that the Model 3 implementation is actually better. Try an auto-lane-change in autopilot mode on both cars, and you'll see the advantage of software-cancellable turn signals (Model 3) vs. mechanically-cancelled turn signals (Model S).

With Model 3, after the car does its lane change, it turns off the turn signal by itself. In the model S, you have to cancel it yourself after the lane change by clicking the turn signal back to it's neutral position, which in my experience sometimes results in the activation of the 3-blink signal to the OTHER direction if you over-correct the lever. It's neat in the Model 3 to see it just shut off the turn signal itself after it is sure it's successfully executed the lane change.

The same happens in auto-park behavior. On Model 3, if you put on your turn signal to let others know of your intention to pull into a parking space (parallel or perpendicular), your car will cancel the turn signals after it's finished with the maneuvers. Not so on Model S.

More passenger/storage volume, seating for > 5, free supercharging, a binnacle, buttons/knobs (for the vents, glove box, etc), unlimited mile battery warranty, and a hatchback, which I doubt the current gen 3 will ever have. Other things like the heated steering wheel and sunroof (probably a lot more) the 3 may eventually get, or not.
Isn't free supercharging coming to an end for every Tesla vehicle sold after this month?

OHHHHHH, i only did a few auto lane changes in my 118 miles, but was so used to the S manual cancel that i did not even wait to see if the 3 would auto cancel. great info!
Model S/X lane change will most likely work by 3-blink indication when/if they get the blind spot monitoring and lane changes reliable.

We had BMW 1-series as 2nd car and I never fully liked the indicators with same logic as Model 3. But could live with them.

I thought the same thing... but now I appreciate that the Model 3 implementation is actually better. Try an auto-lane-change in autopilot mode on both cars, and you'll see the advantage of software-cancellable turn signals (Model 3) vs. mechanically-cancelled turn signals (Model S)..

On the Model 3, is there audio feedback to let the driver know that turn signal is engaged?

We have an S and a 3, and I would second that.

Everything else about the car is so impressive that I am thinking about using my second reservation/invite to downsize from S85D to 3LR AWD when that becomes available. My two biggest reservations? Road noise. And uncertainty about frontal collision safety (way less car in front of you) ... pending testing results.

Bummed about the road noise. It is the only disadvantage vs. the S that bothers me.

We picked our Red 3 up Tuesday and my first impressions are very similar in every respect.

Even about the S being quieter?

The updated warranty spec now includes the drive unit.

That's great news:

Your vehicle's Battery and Drive Unit are covered under this Battery and Drive Unit LimitedWarranty for a period of:
•Vehicles with Standard Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
•Vehicles with Long Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles (192,000 km), whichever comes firat, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad