Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A different question: how does the driver operate the touch screen in a Model 3 when wearing gloves?

My father has Reynaud's syndrome -- poor circulation in his hands, they are terribly cold all the time -- and so frequently wears gloves. We have an M3 on order for him. Suddenly, I'm afraid that he won't be able to operate the touch screen!

Thanks,
Alan

Bummed about the road noise. It is the only disadvantage vs. the S that bothers me.

But most people have reported that the road noise is less in the Model 3.

Electric cars have a much lower noise floor, which means everything sounds better, even at low volume. Elon Musk is allegedly an audiophile, and it shows. Unexpectedly low wind noise is a big help.

I guess that doesn't specifically mention road noise, but I have seen multiple people say that the Model 3 is quieter.

A different question: how does the driver operate the touch screen in a Model 3 when wearing gloves?

My father has Reynaud's syndrome -- poor circulation in his hands, they are terribly cold all the time -- and so frequently wears gloves. We have an M3 on order for him. Suddenly, I'm afraid that he won't be able to operate the touch screen!

Thanks,
Alan

You just need gloves that say they work with smartphones, the ones with capacitive pads on the fingertips. There are a lot available.

I guess that doesn't specifically mention road noise, but I have seen multiple people say that the Model 3 is quieter.

It’s not quieter.

Reactions: Pollux
You just need gloves that say they work with smartphones, the ones with capacitive pads on the fingertips. There are a lot available.

It’s not quieter.
It's quieter than the P85+ that I've driven in the past. Sound dampening was certainly not a priority back then. It did have bald and underinflated tires but I'm certain with the 21" wheels, it didn't help either.

Out of all the new vehicles I was in where I played w/the turn signal lever, every single one I recall had the traditional turn signal lever design. The only one I remember with the unusual BMW/Mini-like design/behavior was a Lexus RC 350. Even other Lexuses didn't seem to have this nor did any Toyotas.
Have you ever considered that you having been using the turn signal wrong? Those that have problems with it are are used to the mechanical click and push it until it does even for changing lanes. But if you lightly hold it down the direction you want to change lanes, it will turn off as soon as you let go of the stalk. This is accomplished the same way even for the mechanical stalks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and cwerdna
The comments here and in various other reviews seem to confirm my concerns with regard to ride quality and noise levels on the 3. Minimally, they do contribute to my desire to hold out for an air suspension equipped car. While it is the damper tuning that actually impacts ride quality, my experience with the Model S shows Tesla seems to have put "softer" dampers on the air equipped cars (or the air bladders are simply imparting less impact harshness overall).

It's a shame test drives are still likely to be months away...

Thanks,
Alan
Tesla sells these gloves which can be used with touchscreens:
Men's Leather Driving Gloves

Or you can find others intended for smartphone use which are less expensive.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Alan
Either buy touchscreen compatible gloves or make them yourself with capacitive thread. Just Google capacitive thread... You just need enough to pass from fingertips to exterior. Easy peasey

Hope so.

The comments here and in various other reviews seem to confirm my concerns with regard to ride quality and noise levels on the 3. Minimally, they do contribute to my desire to hold out for an air suspension equipped car. While it is the damper tuning that actually impacts ride quality, my experience with the Model S shows Tesla seems to have put "softer" dampers on the air equipped cars (or the air bladders are simply imparting less impact harshness overall).

It's a shame test drives are still likely to be months away...

Traditionally the bigger German sedans have been for older folks (of which ranks I am joining at all together quick a pace), vs. the smaller sedans for younger.

BMW 7 series. More luxury
BMW 3 series. Better performance.

As a future Model 3 owner, it would have been nice to think that it has near equivalent level of luxury, while having superior handling and price compared to the S.

But sometimes things really are too good to be true.

Having said that, all Tesla’s are more efficient than a Prius while having performance level up to supercar level, so maybe some things can be too good to be true:)

There are a couple of things not implemented yet. The Wifi is disabled. The scheduled charging is not available. The autopilot calibrated in about 50 miles. However it (the autopilot) had an issue where it was umm "reluctant" to start again in traffic on the freeway after coming to a stop in traffic. I'm sure it'll all be corrected in a software update, which is coming "soon."
Just wanted to add a few more things to this list. Car came with firmware 2017.46.15 16c31d2. This particular firmware doesn't have auto wipers or USB playback. After I got home, I updated to 2017.48.15 8812942 which was already available when I took delivery yesterday. This added those two features.

Bluetooth:
I'm still having trouble connecting my iPhone with 11.2.1 firmware. When I called Tesla support the person told me they're aware of the issue. I'm able to pair but unable to connect phone after pairing. I don't think contacts and recent list is working as I was able to pair a Samsung S8. It took a long time before it asked for permission to download contacts. Once it was paired I was unable to view recent calls or contacts. The only thing I can do at this time is make calls by saying Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx since it doesn't have any contacts imported. Of course you can always use your smart phone by doing Hey Siri or OK Google to do the same. I was told that not sync contacts with my iPhone to have it work. This lead me to the other problem where I couldn't forget the device. It would just keep spinning. So then I would have to reboot the car. Eventually the Bluetooth device disappeared.

Media Player:
There is no shuffle or repeat at this time. Nor is there forward of a song playing through USB by touching various lengths of the song. I haven't confirmed but I think FLAC files are resuming for me as opposed to always starting from the beginning like my Model S. This issue with the S caused me to convert my long FLAC songs (over 1hr) to MP3 so that it would resume rather than play from the beginning again.

Autopilot:
I barely got to try Autopilot as it finally was available just before I exited the freeway. I did try parallel and perpendicular parking. The one time I tried parallel it parked fine although it didn't center the distance between cars and parked much closer to the car in front of me. Then I went into a parking lot to perpendicular park and it's still slow where it does 3pt turn to back into a spot. Not sure why they can't have it park in one sweep. Does anyone know how you're supposed to cancel Autopilot without stepping on the brakes? I haven't tried pressing down on the stalk and afraid to attempt to press the park button.

Tesla App:
So you can now remotely open your frunk and your trunk from within the Tesla App. I've only confirmed it on iOS. When I swapped to my Model S, that option is not available. So this is specific to Model 3. I didn't see any options to summon so that's probably another OTA in the future.

Easy Access Entry:
It doesn't look like the most recent firmware invokes the easy access by releasing the seat belt but by putting it in park which is not a desired behavior.

Now that the climate controls are all done electronically, Tesla should have it remember the settings for different profiles for those people that don't like the air to blow to their face or passengers.

Interesting to note that the there is a mat in the frunk that covers the tow hook but there isn't a mat in the trunk. I was also told by a Tesla employee that greeted me when I entered the store that the frunk is completely waterproof. Not sure how I feel about having things leak if there is a mat though. So he mentioned how it would be a good place to put damp clothing.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Alan
My dad struggles with touch screens due to having calluses that don't seem to conduct any capacitance. I bought him an inexpensive stylus from the office store for his iPad that he really likes. I think it might be a good option for the 3 and could even be beneficial to keep fingerprints off the screen. It could be kept in the cupholder for those of us that don't use them for drinks.

:rolleyes:

Large doesn't equal more safe, and hasn't for a long time.
As I understand it, frontal tests are done such that every car is compared to a frontal crash with a car equal in weight (with itself). So a small car and a large SUV may have the same 5-Star rating, but the small car is based on a head-on collision with itself, so it would not far as well with a head-on collision with an SUV. It's hard to get past Mass X Velocity. Of course there are many other things that go into safety, such as accident avoidance and roll overs that favor small cars.

Hope so.

Traditionally the bigger German sedans have been for older folks (of which ranks I am joining at all together quick a pace), vs. the smaller sedans for younger.

BMW 7 series. More luxury
BMW 3 series. Better performance.

As a future Model 3 owner, it would have been nice to think that it has near equivalent level of luxury, while having superior handling and price compared to the S.

But sometimes things really are too good to be true.

Having said that, all Tesla’s are more efficient than a Prius while having performance level up to supercar level, so maybe some things can be too good to be true:)

While I agree the larger cars tend to have better luxury, it is possible to maintain decent ride quality with solid handling. Admittedly, the current trend toward ever larger wheel sizes can make this challenging. Oddly enough, given the low center of gravity of he Model 3, it simply wasn't necessary to fit a firmer damper since the car inherently has better handling. Corner carving is definitely fun (note: I have a P85+ now and have previously owned other sports sedans - 328i sport, M5, M3, etc.), but as a percentage of one's daily driving it is usually well below 5% (heck, more like well below 1% for most of us). In short, a "little too firm" ride can get old fast, but much of that comes down to the roads you actually drive on day-to-day and your tolerance for "firm".

Reactions: kbM3
While I agree the larger cars tend to have better luxury, it is possible to maintain decent ride quality with solid handling. Admittedly, the current trend toward ever larger wheel sizes can make this challenging. Oddly enough, given the low center of gravity of he Model 3, it simply wasn't necessary to fit a firmer damper since the car inherently has better handling. Corner carving is definitely fun (note: I have a P85+ now and have previously owned other sports sedans - 328i sport, M5, M3, etc.), but as a percentage of one's daily driving it is usually well below 5% (heck, more like well below 1% for most of us). In short, a "little too firm" ride can get old fast, but much of that comes down to the roads you actually drive on day-to-day and your tolerance for "firm".
And the wheels/tires you choose.

That's even scarier to think putting it in reverse.
I agree - having become so used to Model S autopilot, it's scary to use that gear selector to also be the autopilot control stalk. Just seems wrong and scary to even touch a gear selector at 60mph on the highway. But you do get used to it. If the car is moving, that stalk is autopilot control... if it's at a stop, it's the gear selector.

That said, I bet Tesla may ultimately rectify this by adding a dedicated TACC/AP stalk in future builds like they do in the S. Just seems an odd area to save the $5 in parts.

Reactions: suwaneedad
I agree - having become so used to Model S autopilot, it's scary to use that gear selector to also be the autopilot control stalk. Just seems wrong and scary to even touch a gear selector at 60mph on the highway. But you do get used to it. If the car is moving, that stalk is autopilot control... if it's at a stop, it's the gear selector.

That said, I bet Tesla may ultimately rectify this by adding a dedicated TACC/AP stalk in future builds like they do in the S. Just seems an odd area to save the $5 in parts.
Not exactly. When I first got my Model S, I had met up with some people to eat and it started to rain. Being in CA we don't see that much rain. So I was driving slow as I was getting ready to go over a speed bump and I wanted to use my windshield wipers to wipe the rain that had accumulated on the window. I mistakenly hit the park button rather than the wiper on the other side and the car suddenly stopped. Maybe they've fixed that now but I was able to apply the parking brake while moving.

Reactions: Pkmmte