Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's OK. If the car knows that the entirely mechanical opener was used, it can still drop the window a tad. My experience with other frameless doors is the issue of dropping the window a tad and raising are compatible with mechanical door releases (think anyone but Tesla)....
  1. You open the door (mechanically)
  2. Car senses that the door was opened
  3. Car slightly lowers window
  4. You close door
  5. Car raises window

You missed a step:

2.5 The damage to the seal is done.

If it doesn't have a sensor to intervene before the door is opened it may be to late. (Or if the response time isn't fast enough.)

Someone help me out here.... So what if someone uses the emergency release? If the car knows that it was used, instead of barking at you on the screen, why not just lower the window as if you had pushed the proper release?? It is in a common place and people will use it, so drop the window either way???
According to this article The Electrek Review – Tesla Model 3, a promise delivered:

Tesla says that using this release too often can damage the seals which keep noise and water out of the car. So you’ll want to coach your passengers on proper door handle use. Just another day in the life of a Tesla owner. Tesla and their ever-weird door handles.

You missed a step:

2.5 The damage to the seal is done.

If it doesn't have a sensor to intervene before the door is opened it may be to late. (Or if the response time isn't fast enough.)
I seriously question this. The important question is whether opening the door without lowering the window first actually does damage. Maybe it would, but that would be unusual compared to most frameless designs. Many mechanical-only frameless doors existed before Tesla got clever with solenoid activated releases. They have historically lowered the windows after it was opened. Maybe lowering first is desired, but it would be fairly unusual, historically, IMO. Additionally, if Tesla knew this, they should have built a switch into the mechanical release so that the 99.9% of the time they are used (with power) they would not damage the seals. If your frameless window design causes damage when you open the door without lowering the window first *and* your going to give occupants 2 ways to open the door....

That's OK. If the car knows that the entirely mechanical opener was used, it can still drop the window a tad. My experience with other frameless doors is the issue of dropping the window a tad and raising are compatible with mechanical door releases (think anyone but Tesla)....
  1. You open the door (mechanically)
  2. Car senses that the door was opened
  3. Car slightly lowers window
  4. You close door
  5. Car raises window
Exactly. If there is still power, it can do step 3 and there's no problem. If there isn't any power then it would just skip that step.

My 2005 Mini with frameless windows and mechanical interior door openers would detect the door opener movement and lower window slightly on opening. There was a slight delay however so it was possible to beat the window movement and get some resistance from the seal.

All Telsa needs to do is put a microswitch under the mechanical latch, and wire it in parallel with the push button. Unless you pull really fast on the mechanical one, the window will probably drop enough to minimize any damage. It can still function as an emergency opener without power.

Q for M3 owners: do one for the team and open the doors with that mechanical latch.
Do it slowly and do not push at the door. Does the window go down a bit or does it not?

I bet it lowers and the problem is just the timing.

By using mechanical latch and pushing at the doors there is only the top seal holding the door closed until the window lowers enough to clear it. If you do not push at the door there is no damage at the seals unless other door seals are very compressed and will cause the doors to push against the window seal.

In my frame-less door car window also lowers and I also have a mechanical latch. Sometimes in winter the window freezes to the seal so it cannot lower and I have to simply use the force to get the door to open and window away from the seals. It causes some changes to the seal but it is just haurd rubber so this is not irreversible.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Here's a much easier fix for Tesla: make the door release button chrome instead of black. I have no idea why they made a black button on a black door console in a black interior and expected people to find this non-conventional way to open the door. I'm convinced 90% of my passengers who can't find the button or mistakenly pull the handle would have done it right if they button were a contrasting color. As for precedent, see the Model S. The part you pull, in a black interior, is brushed metal so it stands out and is super easy to find.

Here's a much easier fix for Tesla: make the door release button chrome instead of black. I have no idea why they made a black button on a black door console in a black interior and expected people to find this non-conventional way to open the door. I'm convinced 90% of my passengers who can't find the button or mistakenly pull the handle would have done it right if they button were a contrasting color. As for precedent, see the Model S. The part you pull, in a black interior, is brushed metal so it stands out and is super easy to find.
To be fair it is lit with an LED. Maybe they need it to pulse or flicker when it is put in park.

To be fair it is lit with an LED. Maybe they need it to pulse or flicker when it is put in park.
You're right, but it's both dim and tiny. Does not stand out in any way. Very hard to see in a dark car for some reason. Your idea about it pulsing, or flickering (or just getting way brighter) when car is in Park, is a good solution.

It's not really an "issue"... it's just not an intuitive design.

The majority of people I've had ride in the 3 so far, I've had to tell them how to open the door... both from the outside and inside. Most people are not familiar with the "push then pull handle" to get in, then a button release to get out.
Wow, I'm afraid to ask what they do when they try to adjust the air vents. :D

so i finally converted my since purchased average for the S and the current consumption for the 3 over to mi/kWh so i can compare against my two other EVs

2013 honda fit ev average is 4.5mi/kWh
2013 fiat 500e average is 3.8mi/kWh
2016 S p90d is 3.3mi/kWh
2018 3 is 5.3mi/kwh best and 4.3mi/kWh for average since taking delivery.

crushing it.

You're right, but it's both dim and tiny. Does not stand out in any way. Very hard to see in a dark car for some reason. Your idea about it pulsing, or flickering (or just getting way brighter) when car is in Park, is a good solution.
Or they can send some of those electrons with a metal plate under the emergency release to deter people from using it.