TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two door handle replacements will cost me over $1100 - is there a cheaper way?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by umenon, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. umenon

umenon New Member

My 2014 Model S 60 has already been through one door handle replacement (left rear) for which the local service center didn't charge me anything even though technically my car was out of the 4 year/50000 mile warranty period.

Yesterday when I took the car in because the right (front and rear) door handles wouldn't open, I was told the cost of replacement would be a little over $1400 but they would waive the labor which would bring the cost down to $1100.

I read in this forum that door handles can be had for $200 on ebay so I checked it out and sure enough, there are pre-owned door handles available for under $200. Will a non-Tesla authorized auto shop be able to install these for me? Can someone recommend one in NJ (I live in central Jersey) ?

2. jim5359

jim5359 Member

$1100 for each handle or for both? Do they come with a warranty?

Do you really want to spend $400 plus installation for 2 used handle mechanisms that may only last a few months?

3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

Wait until your center screen dies. Now that is going to be a sad day.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

If the video above doesn't do it check with HSRmotors?

While they specialize on the harder more important parts, they might have simple parts laying around from cars they are picking apart.

6. demundus

demundus Active Member

If the OP gets a used handle that he can be sure came from the revision... the swap is easy enough (couple hours your first time). I have one for sale that was a revision, I know this because it was swapped for me, and then I was in an accident a month later and got another one due to a change in door design. I'm sure there are similar situations.

7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Most non operable handles can be repaired for under $20. Watch some of the youtube vids on the repair procedure.

• Like x 1
  8. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Mine broke monday, i watched you tube videos. Took it out yesterday . The little gear broke. I got an entire unit off eBay. Its easy to do, you need 9mm , 10mm sockets, t35 torque bit, something soft to pop door panel off with. Took me about 30 minutes. Very easy if you watch videos .

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Tesla sells replacement gears.

10. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

speak of the devil.. finally got my S85D back after nearly 2 months at the body shop and -- you guessed it -- the rear drivers handle is stuck in "presented" position, and the door won't open.. which sucks b/c I place my briefcase/backpack back there while i'm driving.

Back to Tesla Service it will go :(

11. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Fixing stuck in "presented" position is as easy as pulling a fuse!

12. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

This is exactly the reason im going to get the extended warranty

• Like x 1
  13. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I will probably get the extended warranty also, but if I have a failed handle, it will cost me a fraction of the deductible to fix it myself.

14. Naonak

Naonak Member

The cost to repair really depends on what the problem is... do you know specifically what the issue is with your handles?

15. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

The deductible is currently $100, right?

16. viper2ko

viper2ko Active Member

200 i think

17. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

I got a very bright light and magnifying glass. Looked at why the gear broke. Seems a lot of water got into latch, caused a lot of corrosion.
    The screws are rusted. I think some preventive maintenance of oiling the contact with the rod is in order for older cars, and if you are bored new ones. A little WD-40 Will work fine. I will pull other 3 and spray them with WD-40.

18. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

There have been other reports of water intrusion into the handle assembly. Something about a gasket mis-aligned or even missing in some cases.

19. geometro

geometro Member

Sorry to hear this. I wish they treated these with a lifetime warranty— door handles are critical and they made these cool, but overly complicated.

20. Edo102

Edo102 Member

I heard Tesla sold the gear for just a couple bucks. Went to my local SC, but was told they only sell the whole thing. If anybody can get a hold of some, i!d love to buy 4. Only need one right now, but imagine it won't be long bf I will need another.