Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two drivers - Second uses the card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t have my car yet, but if my wife or daughter is also going to be driving it, could they also have the app on their phone and unlock, drive and lock through the app or can there only be one primary person using father app and the other “occasional” drivers would use the key card?
If you just have the key card do you have to actively lock the car with the key card (the same way you unlock it) or does it lock just by walking away?
Thanx

Don’t have my car yet, but if my wife or daughter is also going to be driving it, could they also have the app on their phone and unlock, drive and lock through the app or can there only be one primary person using father app and the other “occasional” drivers would use the key card?

If you just have the key card do you have to actively lock the car with the key card (the same way you unlock it) or does it lock just by walking away?
Thanx

The occasional drivers download the Tesla app and log-into your account, and pair their bluetooth to the car. I'll be picking up my car today and both my wife and I will have app access.

Yes, you have to actively lock it, similar to unlocking.

The occasional drivers download the Tesla app and log-into your account, and pair their bluetooth to the car. I'll be picking up my car today and both my wife and I will have app access.

Yes, you have to actively lock it, similar to unlocking.

I was curious about this. So what happens if both phones are paired;

1) when you leave and she forgets her phone in the car, the car won't lock, correct?
2) when you both leave, I presume the car waits to lose connection to both devices and then locks, correct?

The car can store up to 19 authenticated keys, either phones or cards.

1) when you leave and she forgets her phone in the car, the car won't lock, correct?
2) when you both leave, I presume the car waits to lose connection to both devices and then locks, correct?

From the manual:

Note: Model 3 can connect to three phones
simultaneously. Therefore, if more than one
phone is detected and you want to use, or
authenticate, a different phone, move the
other connected phone(s) out of range or turn
off its Bluetooth setting.

I think both your assumptions above are correct.

I’ve had the car lock with a paired phone inside. Had to use the keycard to open it and retrieve the phone.
I would be listening for the lock sound to confirm though.
We also have two phones with the app and paired, logged into the same account. It’s much simpler.

I’ve read people have the same car on separate apps but I cannot confirm.

It's alarmingly simple but - ask to have the 2nd Tesla account added to the 'primary' for the car and either phone will now work. Whether you want to do this is a completely different question

We also have two phones with the app and paired, logged into the same account. It’s much simpler.

Actually no - it works much better if you add the car to the 2nd account. Been there done that... twice...

Reactions: PoitNarf
It's alarmingly simple but - ask to have the 2nd Tesla account added to the 'primary' for the car and either phone will now work. Whether you want to do this is a completely different question

Actually no - it works much better if you add the car to the 2nd account. Been there done that... twice...

Is there a way to do this that doesn't constantly advertise your location to the the second phone? I'm not hiding bad anything from my wife, but say around birthdays and whatnot I don't want her tipped off on my gift shopping trips, etc...

Side question for current owners - I assume you can ask for a second card at delivery so you can keep one in your wallet and give the other to your spouse? What do they cost for extras?

Is there a way to do this that doesn't constantly advertise your location to the the second phone? I'm not hiding bad anything from my wife, but say around birthdays and whatnot I don't want her tipped off on my gift shopping trips, etc...

Side question for current owners - I assume you can ask for a second card at delivery so you can keep one in your wallet and give the other to your spouse? What do they cost for extras?

It comes with two key cards, extras are $5 or something like that.

• Helpful
Reactions: KiddFunkadelic

You can temporarily turn off remote access to the car in the touchscreen menus. That will prevent anyone else that has app access from seeing where the car is.

She can disable notifications and probably will want to - not every driver needs to know every time the car finishes charging as example..

Edit due to above posting about turning off access - just remember to put it back later I guess - but if you're trying to do shopping in stealth the absence of information may be information in itself

Last edited:
Key cards are $8...I got 2 new ones last week because it took the girlfriend 2 days after I gave her one to her to loose it. So now I got 3 spares...just in case.

There's no problem swapping between key card and phone, its seamless we do it all the time. I'll park my car in a lot and if she gets home before me she'll use the key card to unlock it and drive it home.

1) Yes, but that's a good thing. Keeps you from forgetting your phone.
2) Correct. But it just needs you to walk about 3-5 feet it seems. It's really short. Which means you can listen for the honk or look for the mirrors to fold as lock confirmation, and if it doesn't, you know you might have left a phone in the car.

Wife and I both use the same login for the app. Not a problem. Have separate driver profiles. Key card only used when the car won't recognize the phones (totally other issue).