Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two EV chargers on one circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to add a Gen 3 plug to the outside of my house and have it connected to the existing 50A 14-50 plug powering a Leaf at the moment.
I will be getting a 3RWD and it is replacing the Leaf.

So only one car would charge at a time for now.

Is this something that can be done?
I was told yes by an electrician when the plugs where installed but now the electrician doing the Tesla Charger says there is a code preventing 2 EV's from being on the same circuit.

I am looking to add a Gen 3 plug to the outside of my house and have it connected to the existing 50A 14-50 plug powering a Leaf at the moment.
I will be getting a 3RWD and it is replacing the Leaf.

So only one car would charge at a time for now.

Is this something that can be done?
I was told yes by an electrician when the plugs where installed but now the electrician doing the Tesla Charger says there is a code preventing 2 EV's from being on the same circuit.
2014 Code was:

210.17 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit. An outlet(s) installed
for the purpose of charging electric vehicles shall be
supplied by a separate branch circuit. This circuit shall have
no other outlets.

Don't know if it's been updated.

I believe a workaround is to convince yourself and the electrician that you want it for other purposes.

But ideally you want something reliable that ensures that the 2 cars can't charge simultaneously and not just 2 outlets.

• Informative
Reactions: JP Bark
Do both outlets need to be powered up simultaneously? Could you have a changeover relay or switch so that it isn't possible to power both outlets at the same time?

Or how about a load shedding device so that one outlet cuts off if load on the primary outlet goes above a certain limit?

No idea if code-compliant devices exist in The US that do that, but they are standard / common devices from an electrical control point of view.

Do both outlets need to be powered up simultaneously? Could you have a changeover relay or switch so that it isn't possible to power both outlets at the same time?

Or how about a load shedding device so that one outlet cuts off if load on the primary outlet goes above a certain limit?

No idea if code-compliant devices exist in The US that do that, but they are standard / common devices from an electrical control point of view.
They defiantly do not both need to be active at the same time, and would be just fine.
What makes this more frustrating is getting all of this information hearsay from my parents who are home with the electrician.

2014 Code was:

210.17 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit. An outlet(s) installed
no other outlets.

Don't know if it's been updated.

I believe a workaround is to convince yourself and the electrician that you want it for other purposes.

But ideally you want something reliable that ensures that the 2 cars can't charge simultaneously and not just 2 outlets.
It is interesting that the text has a plural in the beginning for outlets for the purpose of charging shall have not other outlets..
So a branch can have more then one outlet if the purpose is not charging EV's?

parents who are home with the electrician
That's always tough 🙂

I'm sure there is a basic changeover switch that would allow the "One Only (at a time)" idea to be adhered to. A relay approach would allow a simple switch to be located somewhere convenient (or two if need be) to select which socket would be active.

The load-shedding idea would allow one socket to start off and the supply to switch to the second outlet when the first charging load drops below a preset level.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP Bark
It is interesting that the text has a plural in the beginning for outlets for the purpose of charging shall have not other outlets..
So a branch can have more then one outlet if the purpose is not charging EV's?
An outlet(s) installed
no other outlets.
It's odd use of language. I read it that there could be multiple EV outlets but ONLY EV outlets permited on that branch. I doubt that's what it is intended to mean, but if it means the branch can have other random non-EV outlets, that makes no sense either!

The fact that they even added the plural option surely suggests more than one of something is OK!

May be it refers to multiple separate branches, each with one EV outlet. The 'An' confuses that interpretion, but it's the one that may be makes most sense.

? Outlet(s) installed for charging.........
.....separate branch circuit which shall have no other outlets on them. ?

The plural thing is a little awkward, but it can still make sense in context because it does say each one still needs to be on its own branch. You may have a really large garage and are doing a large electrical job that includes doing three of these "outlets" for EV charging. That is plural, but it is still saying no matter how many you do, each one still needs to be on its own separate branch.

So big picture for this thread and the electric code issues is that you just aren't allowed by code to have multiple of any of these EV charging things, whether outlets or hardwired units, just physically attached onto the same live active circuit, unless it's a set of units running a load sharing system. So you can't have a wall connector with an extra 14-50 outlet hanging off of the line as a "backup". They need to be separate, or you can make them separate by having a toggle throw switch inline, as @Battpower mentioned.