Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two foot driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An invention that's been around for two decades, but is only now getting any real attention, could change the way millions of people drive -- if people ever have the good sense to adopt it, its inventor says. Japanese inventor Masuyuki Naruse claims that placing the braking and acceleration pedals in our cars side-by-side, just inches apart, is a dangerous design flaw. The solution: his Naruse pedal, a unified pedal design that puts accelerator and brake on the same foot-activated lever.

Naruse's pedal places the accelerator control on the side of a larger brake pedal where the foot can nudge it to the right to increase acceleration. Downward pressure on the pedal results in only one singular action: stopping. This, Naruse says, will prevent the many thousands of accidents each year caused by drivers stomping on the wrong pedal, accelerating into peril when they are trying to brake.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-08/single-pedal-braking-and-acceleration-could-prevent-accidents
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/business/global/04pedal.html?_r=0

I was actually thinking about this on the way to work this morning. The weather seems to have broke in Atlanta, and looks like no more cold mornings. So I was in high spirits. The roads were wet from overnight rain, and I was driving on a steep twisty road to get to work. I was driving a bit quicker than normal.

I kept thinking that when I let off the accelerator I was applying the brakes. So I needed to be careful not to just let off all the sudden (I wasn't actually driving that fast for the road but the thought was there) and break free the rear end. I have done that on a bicycle numerous times, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. But I didn't want that to happen in the Tesla.

But my thoughts kept coming back to. What if I am in a position where I want front and rear brakes to happen at the same time? I am not sure of the exact situation where this would be the case. Basically if you want to plow forward versus have your rear end kick around. But there *might* be a situation in the Tesla where you want to keep some slight pressure on the accelerator (to coast) and apply the brakes to get the fronts and rears to stop at the same time.

In my opinion, though, the safest approach of all would be to just have a single pedal, with computer controlled application of friction brakes if the pedal input exceeds regenerative braking capability.

I agree. Toyota has smoothly blended friction braking on top of regen braking so it shouldn't be that hard for Tesla. And it would allow max use of regen instead of being artificially capped to limit regen surprise effect.

I agree. Toyota has smoothly blended friction braking on top of regen braking so it shouldn't be that hard for Tesla. And it would allow max use of regen instead of being artificially capped to limit regen surprise effect.

No it wouldn't. Tesla's implementation is far better than Toyota's. In addition, Toyota's system is very complex and has poor transition feel between friction and regenerative braking. With Tesla's system you have control over what happens.

Last week I injured my right foot during hockey, which made driving home painful. So I used a 2 foot method (less movement of injured foot). At one point I hit the brakes before I had completely removed my right food from the accelerator and got a nice audio & instrument panel warning that both pedals were pressed.

No it wouldn't. Tesla's implementation is far better than Toyota's. In addition, Toyota's system is very complex and has poor transition feel between friction and regenerative braking. With Tesla's system you have control over what happens.

Toyota and Lexus version is perfect on the many models I've driven. No problem at all. To the extent you think the toyota version isn't perfect why do you think that Tesla couldn't improve on it?

In all seriousness, I do left foot brake when driving an automatic. With a properly tuned/sensitized left foot, reaction times are much quicker. It seems the person involved in the accident may not have been a regular left foot braker :)

Many years ago when I commuted to school in a rough neighborhood in Newark, New Jersey my car pool members and I used two foot driving. The locals rarely stopped at stop signs and the only way to avoid being T-boned was to have your left foot hoovering over the brake.

Now, I occasionally use it when I am on inclines as a "hill hold" approach. I'm frankly not as good as I used to be so my Model S periodically complains.

Larry

One foot driving is a wrong method & structure. (a/t car) there are lots argument about using foot in internet. then, direct relative, car maker had to issiue a technical or scientific warrent/data for one foot driving. but they hadn't, because there is nothing. so they kept scilence.

two feet driving is right. i collected many data/warrent for two feet driving, please click below,

http://blog.naver.com/murupark/30179409099

nov 23,2013.
zinq-park, taxi driver, seoul Korea.

Keep an open mind and use your best physical capabilities. If you have driven clutch vehicles extensively, especially where you need to double-clutch, you have a well educated and strong left foot that can help share the driving chores. Also, do not view the '2 foot sound' as a warning but simply as an indication that both pedals are being pressed: music to the ears of someone in 2 pedal mode. Say you have to do a 180 on a very narrow muddy road with deep side ditches. You better believe that you will need to press on both pedals simultaneously as you inch back and forth. Or you end up stuck in the ditch miles from no where. Or endless stop-n-go mile after mile where you need to even out the workload between legs and feet.
--

Toyota and Lexus version is perfect on the many models I've driven. No problem at all. To the extent you think the toyota version isn't perfect why do you think that Tesla couldn't improve on it?

I don't ever want to waste energy because I don't know when the pads kick in. I'd rather the brakes only engage the pads. Max regen should come when no pedal is pushed down.