Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two ideas I have for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should make the first 100,000 model 3 cars identical. Same color, options etc. The reason it to speed up production and reduce cost. They could offer this car to all the people that had pre-orders, then after these are built, start manufacturing the cars with varying options. I think it's really important for the success of Tesla to do everything to get these cars out as soon as possible and reducing variation would help.

My second idea is that Tesla should charge Model 3 owners $24 for 24 hours use of superchargers. And model 3 owners that want to use superchargers would pay for the first 30 days up front. After they have used up the 30 days then that just pay for a day at a time. I know everyone wants "free" supercharger use, but I don't think it practical. I'm looking forward to the day that there are millions of Tesla's on the road. I want Super chargers to be plentiful and accessible. I don't want to drive at midnight so I don't have to wait behind 3 other Tesla's to get my car charged.

I'm looking forward to everyones opinion.

I'm looking forward to the day that there are millions of Tesla's on the road. I want Super chargers to be plentiful and accessible.

I agree with your goal, but disagree with your proposed solution.

When there is not enough supply to meet demand, you can resolve it one of two ways.

You propose to reduce demand, thus reducing the use of the Model 3 for long distance travel.

I propose to increase supply, thus continuing to encourage use of the Model 3 for long distance travel. Among other things, this will tend to reduce the use of smog creating ICE cars and lessen the USA's dependence on dead dinosaurs. A $2,000.00 upfront payment should pay for the expansion.

I get that Tesla has essentially said they can't afford to include "free" Supercharging in the $35,000.00 price of the base Model 3, so that has to come from another source. I think that in the end, you don't want to discourage the use of the Superchargers with pay per use or pay per day or pay for some other time period, that will seem like nickel and diming.

Just my not very humble opinion.

Thanks for the feed back. Actually I hope to increase supply while keeping usage for long trips. My concern with just having an upfront free is that some percentage of people will want to use it for local use. With millions of users it would clog up all the super chargers that Tesla could build. I don't think sending letters would really help. I would expect that a daily fee would be easy to implement through the touch screen in the car. As far as $24 for 24 hours, I thought it sounded cool and the amount was reasonable for someone on a long trip.

Thanks

PS I was about number 150 in line at the Short Hills store. I'm hoping for 2018 too.

I agree with the fixed price one-off cost for "unlimited" supercharging. The supercharger network has to be built to cope with peak demand - think of the Friday before a long weekend. A thousand people pay $24 the week before to enable it - that's $24k in the bank but not enough SC capacity - a lot of pissed off drivers.

If, instead, a thousand people pay $2000 when they buy the car - that's $2m in the bank, enough to build 20 supercharger sites.

Since Tesla has stated more options, faster delivery, using that method, the first 100,000 would have EVERY OPTION. That increases Tesla's cash flow, simplifies the initial production. With employees getting the first 15,000(?) that would allow Tesla to trouble shoot all the options early on.

Car color gets tricky. Dupont says that white is the most popular. Kelly looked at it financially and says Silver, White and then Black. I think everyone could live with a Silver T3. So I'm game, a loaded all options Silver T3.

And Tesla could brand them the "Pioneer" series, make a collectors item out of it.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Thanks for the reply's. About the $2K up front, that's why I thought having people buy 30 days worth to start using the super chargers would give Tesla some money up front. It could easily be 60 days or 10 depending on the economics. Also it makes it a little easier on people that don't want to put $2k up front.
Picking a color is a bit tricky, maybe a special color that won't be in general production. Putting all the options in would help Tesla's margin a lot.

To the OP: I don't agree with your first proposal that initial 3 production be of indentical cars. Now that over 400,000 people have put down a reservation deposit without any indication from Tesla that they will not be able to custom configure their car, it's too late to tell them that they won't be able to custom configure it without pissing them off and incurring a storm of adverse publicity. And given the way modern manufacturing works, and the relatively limited number of options Tesla offers (a few dozen when one includes exterior/interior color choices, compared to hundreds of options offered by other high end manufacturers) the savings would be modest. And I suppose to that Teslas new modern paint shop can easily switch colors.
As to your second proposal, that's interesting but given how easily a modern back end payment system (of the type that Tesla will surely use to control and bill for individual Supercharger sessions) I don't think there is any advantage for Tesla to do that.

Still, I give you credit for creative thinking! :D

Reactions: M0DEL³
My wild *** guess is the thing that will slow down the Model 3 will be auto pilot and not the option list.

Your idea sounds like Henry Ford and the model T. Hey you can have any color you want as long as it is black. :)

So 'Henry'... You can have your Model T any color you like, so long as it is Black?

We're already dealing with a severely limited color palette much as any modern manufacturing line up. (What's up with all of the boring neutral, black or white lineup??? )

Options, same thing... You've got battery capacity, autopilot, higher rate charging and interior colors. I don't see any advantage to limiting things further.

There are surcharges for some options, which is fair, and some of them you can opt for after your initial purchase... Perhaps a different slant would be to offer a better ''base" chassis that offers the most flexibility to the end consumer? Oh wait, they already Do exactly that!

Sit back, wait for things to settle out , don't poke the bear, let them work it all out as efficiently as they can.

My wife would prefer that for sure - it's going to be her car anyway

Ok, you got it. Let's start the campaign for Reservation Green!

First Edition in Aprilgreen? :)
Aprilgreen.PNG

I think Tesla should make the first 100,000 model 3 cars identical. Same color, options etc. The reason it to speed up production and reduce cost.
Rather than making this assumption, I think the better question to answer is how much cost reduction and how many more cars produced with a fixed option run. How would that action actually improve the longer term production capacity and help address the enevitable flexible option requirements? Tesla would certainly be behind on experience building various options as a result of this action, pushing their learning out and probably reducing production capacity in the longer run. Also does it bring in more revenue? And who wants a cookie cutter car?

Rather than making this assumption, I think the better question to answer is how much cost reduction and how many more cars produced with a fixed option run.

It would certainly reduce costs and would certainly increase profits if the first 100,000 were all the same maxed options models.

How would that action actually improve the longer term production capacity and help address the enevitable flexible option requirements?

It would give Tesla production experience in installing EVERY option and doing it repetitively to gain experience in what works and what doesn't.

As for capacity, it would likely have a positive effect on volume, again because they are doing the same thing over and over, repetition is the soul of learning.