Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two J1772 charging issues: EVSE schedule and sharing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

#1. When charging on EVSE with internal schedule due to time of day variable rates, M3 does not wake up once EVSE starts advertising. No other J1772 car i have or had had trouble following J1772 pilot signal regardless of when it transitions.

My problem is that since i am charging two cars on a shared EVSE in a sequential mode, the charge availability time is not guaranteed to happen at the same time every time because it depends on car placement in the charging queue and how long it takes to charge the other car.

My current workaround is to have Tesla to always to be the first in the sequence and also have it scheduled at the same time EVSE is scheduled to start, so the EVSE starts advertising at the same time Tesla is ready to charge. But it is a nuisance since i have to care about sequencing the cars (sometimes i miss) and because sometimes EVSE may pause for a while when it doesn't like the ground current detected enough for Tesla to go back to sleep before EVSE error auto resets.

Another possible workaround is to put the car into sentry mode, which keeps awake and seems to force it checking EVSE dvertisements during the night; but this has also proven to be hit or miss; but mostly because this is also a nuisance just like charge sequencing, since sentry mode resets every time and i have to remember to set it on every time i plug.

#2. Again, when used on shared EVSEs in shared mode (pretty typical in commercial EVSEs that supply 3.3kw if two cars are plugged, but then let a car go all the way up to 6.6 once the other car completes and more charging badwidth becomes available), Tesla more likely than not to get stuck charging at 3.3kw or slightly above it but does not go up to 6.6 kw once it becomes available. Again, this pretty much ignores the J1772 pilot guidance.

This prevents me from using shared mode at home because it does not ensure that available charging bandwidth is fully utilized, resulting in longer charging times or overnight undercharges. My current workaround is that I use sequential mode at EVSE (it places cars in a queue with full bandwidth available to either car from the start of the charging session), but this is not preferable because it exacerbates problem #1 (charging starts at an undetermined time) and because it creates higher strain on equipment than it needs be.

Just like issue #1, this never had been a problem with any other cars but Tesla.

Both issues look like J1772 compliance issues. These scenarios are all standard for J1772s EVSEs and actually happen every day without problems in other cars.

One EVSE designer i spoke to expressed an opinion that this also used to be an issue with Model S, but then they apparently fixed that.

Do you happen to have any insights/workarounds for these? I suspect if there were, i would know about it by now, but I thought i would check with the forum anyway. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and eprosenx
What EVSE model(s) do you have? The details may differ from one to another.

I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with the JuiceNet board add-on. I normally leave it set to charge immediately; however, I've done a little testing, and from what I can see, my Tesla Model 3 will begin charging when the EVSE makes power available if the car is awake at that time; however, if the car is in sleep mode, that won't happen. Thus, as a workaround, if you know when the charge is going to begin, you can wake the car up (via the Tesla app, TeslaFi, or probably some other app or custom script) shortly before the charge is set to begin. I can't promise this will work 100% reliably, but based on my limited testing, it's at least worth a try, if this is practical. Ideally, your EVSE could be programmed to do this, using Tesla's remote-access API, much as TeslaFi and other third-party tools do; however, I have no idea if any Internet-enabled EVSE manufacturer has plans to do this. You might contact them to see if they can add this functionality.

Another approach may be to use the Tesla's charge timer rather than the EVSE's charge timer to control when charging begins. Even if you want the EVSE to be the "master" on this, setting the Tesla's charge timer might be an effective workaround, since it might serve to wake the car up at a specified time.

Another approach may be to use the Tesla's charge timer rather than the EVSE's charge timer to control when charging begins.

yes thanks as i have explained i am already doing it . Exactly, when it sleeps, it won't charge on EVSE's schedule, which i believe makes the car not fully compliant with J1772 spec in a sense that car should transition to state C if it needs to charge, in response to proper positive pilot offer.

problem is, as i have explained, the time of the session commencing may vary, depending on conditions.

my evse is in my signature ("hydra")

my hope is that Tesla is reading this and perhaps may be able to fix it. Not monitoring EVSE communication at all times (and not just after first 5 minutes following the plug event) is a serious problem IMO.

At the very least, If the car is plugged AND needs to charge or is already charging, it must listen and do what EVSE tells it to do...

Last edited:
dlieu-

I have exactly the same problem you do. Using two juiceboxs to charge two M3s.

You are experiencing two separate problems -

1- If the M3 goes to sleep in “charge now” mode, it will not wake up when an EVSE pilot signal is presented. If the M3 wakes up for other reasons, it will start charging. That is why leaving sentry mode on works, it keeps the car from going to sleep. Tesla is aware of this problem and actually has a fix in the works that will hopefully be in a near future update.

2- The M3 does not handle the EVSE pilot signal changing to a higher current during charging well. As you have noted often it ignores the fact that additional charge current has become available. The load sharing of my juiceboxes slowly ramps up the current level when a car is connected and my Tesla often gets “stuck” at a lower current than is ultimately offered by the juicebox. Tesla is also aware of this problem, but I’m not aware whether there is a fix in the works.

dlieu-

1- If the M3 goes to sleep in “charge now” mode, it will not wake up when an EVSE pilot signal is presented. If the M3 wakes up for other reasons, it will start charging. That is why leaving sentry mode on works, it keeps the car from going to sleep. Tesla is aware of this problem and actually has a fix in the works that will hopefully be in a near future update.

2- The M3 does not handle the EVSE pilot signal changing to a higher current during charging well. As you have noted often it ignores the fact that additional charge current has become available. The load sharing of my juiceboxes slowly ramps up the current level when a car is connected and my Tesla often gets “stuck” at a lower current than is ultimately offered by the juicebox. Tesla is also aware of this problem, but I’m not aware whether there is a fix in the works.

I'm load sharing with JuiceBoxes with my Model 3 and find that it does notice more current is available when I initially plug it in (the JuiceBox starts at 8 amps). The car detects that 16 amps is available but only draws 11 until I manually increase the charge current on the screen. Once I do that, the car detects that more current is available and I have to manually increase again. One theory is that the car remembers me previously setting the limit at 11 amps when I was charging off a 120-volt outlet before I got my second JuiceBox.

I'd be interested to hear if you've found a solution yet.

Yeah, the whole not charging while asleep thing is annoyng as hell. It makes a lot of sense to let my EVSE handle scheduling as it's much more versatile than the car. The EVSE is able to have differing schedules depending on the day of the week..which is great because Super Off-Peak has expanded hours on the weekend. However, the Tesla can't automatically take advantage of it since I have to use it's "dumb" timer just to wake the car up at midnite so that normal overnight charging works. I would have to constantly fiddle with the car's timer settings...which I won't do because I'd be sure to forget to reengage the timer at some point and find my car hadn't charged overnight. Perhaps I ought to write an app just to wake the car up at midnight so I can stop using the car's timer for that function. I wonder if IFTTT can do that...

Not following the pilot as it goes up seems really bizarre though, since I don't think it's any different than how the Tesla wall connector handles the situation.

#2. Again, when used on shared EVSEs in shared mode (pretty typical in commercial EVSEs that supply 3.3kw if two cars are plugged, but then let a car go all the way up to 6.6 once the other car completes and more charging badwidth becomes available), Tesla more likely than not to get stuck charging at 3.3kw or slightly above it but does not go up to 6.6 kw once it becomes available. Again, this pretty much ignores the J1772 pilot guidance.

Has issue #2 been fixed yet? I'm about to purchase the SolarEdge EV charging inverter, and use it in it's 'charge with excess solar' mode. In this mode, it routinely will advertise higher and/or lower available charging current. It wouln't be optimal if the Model 3 is stuck at charging at a lower charge rate as more and more solar energy is collected as noon approaches.

dlieu-

UPDATE:
Issue #2 above has been fixed in 20.40.1.

• Helpful
Reactions: rickhuizinga