Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two little stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a pointless post but if you're interested in some lighthearted anecdotes, read on!

On at least 2 occasions when I've been driving, minding my own business when I've passed people as you do, I've seen younger kids spot the M3 and shout 'Tesla!' or 'There's a Tesla!'. Made me smile!

The youth of today know where it's at!

That made me wonder, has anyone else had similar?

Second anecdote: Went to the local Co-op for some things and when I walked out I had confusion as my car was parked oddly. Thought to myself, I'm sure I didn't park there. Didn't think anything else of it and carried on walking towards my car, only to realise it was an identical M3P, parked directly opposite my own M3P. Also a 20 reg. Best bit is, I was at a different supermarket a few days later and the same dude parked up near me again!

There's at least 3 of them near me now!

Anyway, as you were...

Reactions: Durzel and davidmc
Your right @stonecoldrmw, i find that kids between the ages of 5-15 seems to point the finger (think the older kids use their middle finger to point) and look in Aww and know exactly what it is and love them.

The older generation seem curious and they always ask if it's a hybrid! And that they heard it takes a day or more to charge! I politely tell them its the year 2020 and not 2000.

• Funny
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Had a neighbour who I had never met come and knock at my door to congratulate on my car. Unfortunately I was at work so couldn't show him around.

When parked in my local mall multi-story, a kid of about 7 triple-taked, asked his mother if he could have a look and then came up to my passenger window. Showed him all the games. He knew a lot about Teslas already

Had a lot of thumbs-up and looks of wonder from youths when driving passed + "Wow that's a Tesla"

Raced an BMW M4 off the lights. Got quite unnerving when he followed me all the way to Nandos. Turns out he was taking his family to Nandos. Came up to me beaming excitedly saying "that was fun wasn't it", said his son had been bugging him to get a Tesla for his next car. Invited me to eat with him and his family.

Asda car park a grandfather spent 20 mins asking about it to me saying his grandson wanted him to get one. Should have given him my referral code!

You’re right about the younger generation. A neighbour asked what mine was. When I replied that it was a Tesla, he asked who made them.
His 10 year old granddaughter put him right in no uncertain terms o_O

10 year old kids get it but the Granddad doesn't know? Crazy.

Your right @stonecoldrmw, i find that kids between the ages of 5-15 seems to point the finger (think the older kids use their middle finger to point) and look in Aww and know exactly what it is and love them.

The older generation seem curious and they always ask if it's a hybrid! And that they heard it takes a day or more to charge! I politely tell them its the year 2020 and not 2000.

My uncle is 82 and he'd heard about them but didn't know much. He's really knowledgeable and was thoroughly engaged when we started talking about mine. He's really interested in the charging process so I'm hoping lock down is eased soon for travel in to Wales as we're due to go on hols soon. Will report back on that trip at a later date *subject to the trip actually happening.

I've had a few kids with their parents asking if they can take a selfie - superchargers and large supermarket car parks seem to be the most popular, but I've actually had a knock at the front door a couple of times.:)

Selfies? That's a new one!

Had a neighbour who I had never met come and knock at my door to congratulate on my car. Unfortunately I was at work so couldn't show him around.

When parked in my local mall multi-story, a kid of about 7 triple-taked, asked his mother if he could have a look and then came up to my passenger window. Showed him all the games. He knew a lot about Teslas already

Had a lot of thumbs-up and looks of wonder from youths when driving passed + "Wow that's a Tesla"

Raced an BMW M4 off the lights. Got quite unnerving when he followed me all the way to Nandos. Turns out he was taking his family to Nandos. Came up to me beaming excitedly saying "that was fun wasn't it", said his son had been bugging him to get a Tesla for his next car. Invited me to eat with him and his family.

Asda car park a grandfather spent 20 mins asking about it to me saying his grandson wanted him to get one. Should have given him my referral code!

I've had neighbours all coming for a look and to quote one neighbour, 'We all love your car'.

Regarding the race to Nandos:
  1. Saying that he followed you implies that he was firmly in 2nd place ;) Nice work, as expected.
  2. Good choice of food establishment
And ref the ASDA trip, yeh you missed a trick there!

Reactions: benken and davidmc
You’re right about the younger generation. A neighbour asked what mine was. When I replied that it was a Tesla, he asked who made them.
Same hereS
Same here all the time.I assume the children must be learning about electric cars at primary school.Young children know the cars and the parents don't - really odd.

I also forgot to add, I received the scorniest, most jealous, gutted that he'd been beaten, look from a dude in a Focus RS the other day. He was right up my rear as we were entering a dual carriageway. I accelerated on to the dual carriageway and he then tried to out run me which was rather interesting ;)

Every time he started getting closer I drew it out a little more until we pulled up to the lights and went our separate ways. It was at this point I got 'the look'. I smiled and carried on my way. :D

Agreed. kids mainly boys go crazy. I have teenage girls and when cars are talked about at school it's all Tesla apparently. My youngest was really happy when I got the M3 now she is a bit embarrassed because she gets so much recognition because if it, crazy. Other kids parents have more expensive cars and no one cares so its not just a cost thing.
Mind you they don't all quite get it. I pulled up a the curb the other day and a kid standing on the pavement turned round saw the car. Gave a yelp of Tesla, pointed then pretended like he was revving a motorbike. Which I would have assumed was a signal to me to rev the engine, but under the circumstances there wasn't really much I could do :)
and before anyone says yes I am 100% sure it was a revving sign not anything else, my daughter can corroborate!

• Funny
Haha this just happened to me this lunchtime. Young lad probably about 10, walking along the pavement with his mum and siblings. His head whipped round, mouth opened and finger pointed out as he yelled "TESLAAAA!!!".

I gave him a smile as it made me chuckle a bit.

:)

• Love
Same hereS

Same here all the time.I assume the children must be learning about electric cars at primary school.Young children know the cars and the parents don't - really odd.

It'll probably because Silicon Valley liberal elite are targeting their propaganda at children's Internet feeds.

Or it's just because electric cars are cool, and children aren't held back by ingrained assumptions or practicalities.

Haha this just happened to me this lunchtime. Young lad probably about 10, walking along the pavement with his mum and siblings. His head whipped round, mouth opened and finger pointed out as he yelled "TESLAAAA!!!".

I gave him a smile as it made me chuckle a bit.

:)

Absolutely. I think the fact that you smiled back also helps reinforce the positive vibe around them.

For me it's this that shows their stock price isn't overvalued. You can't buy brand recognition like that, and it's those generations that'll be buying EVs in 10-20 years time.

Totally agree.

Or it's just because electric cars are cool, and children aren't held back by ingrained assumptions or practicalities.

I'd say, there is no electric car out there right now, that's cooler than a Tesla

Reactions: pow216
I'd say, there is no electric car out there right now, that's cooler than a Tesla

Electric car? As far as the kids are concerned there is no CAR out there that is cooler than a Tesla. For this generation they seem to be the Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo (delete as applicable) that we idolised as kids and they watch being destroyed by Teslas in drag races on their social media feeds. All that and green as well. All the california based social media influencers who drive them probably doesn't hurt either.

I wonder how many kids there are out there now whispering in their parents ears. "Dad can we get a Tesla? can we dad?, can we?" I know for a fact that my interest in cars as a teenager influenced my dads purchases at least a little from that time onwards. We went from a Renault 11 and a Renault 4 to a Nissan 200SX and a Daihatsu Charade GTTI in the space of a few years

Last edited:
  • Love
My neighbour asked 3 times in a conversation when I got my M3 "What size engine does it have?" he could not get it and had never heard of Tesla!

As you say teenagers, break their neck looking at it when you drive past.

Yeah, I've had that. My brother asked me and I said, 'It doesn't have an engine'. He says 'Oh yeah' as the penny dropped haha! He's an engineer too! :)

Electric car? As far as the kids are concerned there is no CAR out there that is cooler than a Tesla. For this generation they seem to be the Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo (delete as applicable) that we idolised as kids and they watch being destroyed by Teslas in drag races on their social media feeds. All that and green as well. All the california based social media influencers who drive them probably doesn't hurt either.

I wonder how many kids there are out there now whispering in their parents ears. "Dad can we get a Tesla? can we dad?, can we?" I know for a fact that my interest in cars as a teenager influenced my dads purchases at least a little from that time onwards. We went from a Renault 11 and a Renault 4 to a Nissan 200SX and a Daihatsu Charade GTTI in the space of a few years

Absolutely spot on. There's countless vids on youtube of Tesla's absolutely destroying other brands in drag races and the like. Funny actually, when I first started banging on about Tesla's to my nephew (way before I ever dreamt of owning one, let alone and M3P) he wasn't really interested. I showed him a few vids and he was mildly impressed. Fast forward a few months and he was sending me vids from youtube etc. Then when I said I was getting one, he was very interested.

He's gutted that we're still locked down as he's really wanting to experience the acceleration and ride. Soon!

Yeah, I've had that. My brother asked me and I said, 'It doesn't have an engine'. He says 'Oh yeah' as the penny dropped haha! He's an engineer too! :)

Because he's an engineer, its probably why he was asking what engine it had. An electric motor is an engine, it converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It's just not a combustion engine.

The recognition thing still happens quite regularly and it's nice when it does. A few weeks ago when it was sunny I sat on the front doorstep and cracked a beer, a bit out of sight behind the car. A family with kids out walking detoured and stood at the end of my drive debating if it was a Porsche or a Maserati - then the dad realised it was a Tesla. I popped my head up and invited the excited kids to have a look around - a good distance away of course!

I also had cause to drive down Normaton Road in Derby the other day (Derby folk will know the area!) and even though there are lots of gangsters around in big BMWs and Range Rovers, the kids only wanted to look at the Tesla. I didn't hang around too long mind and watched carefully to make sure I wasn't be tailed on the way out!