Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two M3's? How to differentiate card keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well now that I think about it it's just an RFID card. Can a single card be paired with two Model 3's? I recently got an extra two key cards for my Model 3 so I could have one at home as a backup in case one of the ones my wife and I have got lost. Maybe the service center could program in the key cards for both of your Model 3's so that way all of the key cards you have will work on either car?

Reactions: eprosenx
Well now that I think about it it's just an RFID card. Can a single card be paired with two Model 3's? I recently got an extra two key cards for my Model 3 so I could have one at home as a backup in case one of the ones my wife and I have got lost. Maybe the service center could program in the key cards for both of your Model 3's so that way all of the key cards you have will work on either car?

Can a single fob be enabled with multiple cars?

Agree it would be great if they can pair one keycard to multiple cars, but to the person asking why you couldn't just keep both in your wallet, keep in mind that keycard's don't work like Model S/X fobs... you need to tap the right card to the right spot in the b-pillar... so i doubt you could do that through your wallet with multiple cards.

I guess we're the rare ones who have never once had a problem with phone-as-keycard. We have a model S and a model 3, and each of my wife's and my iPhone work great, 100% of the time.

Your bigger problem is going to be if you use the app/phone so you can just walk up to car with no issues and open it and drive. The app must be set to WHICH Tesla you want to control, and it can only be one. So if you're walking up to the 'other' model 3, you'll have to open/unlock your phone, go the Tesla app, and change the page to the "right" model 3 before you drive away. We don't have that problem because Model S doesn't work that way, so we always each leave our app set to the Model 3. Either of us can walk up and go without ever touching the phone. For the S, obviously, we have to have the fob.

Reactions: MP3Mike
...to the person asking why you couldn't just keep both in your wallet, keep in mind that keycard's don't work like Model S/X fobs... you need to tap the right card to the right spot in the b-pillar... so i doubt you could do that through your wallet with multiple cards.
Many people have reported that the keycards work just fine through a wallet, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Assuming they are touching their wallet to the pillar.

Many people have reported that the keycards work just fine through a wallet, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. Assuming they are touching their wallet to the pillar.

Yes it works through my wallet fine. However, in @Big Dog’s case they have two Model 3’s and carry key cards for both. What happens when you hold up a wallet containing key cards to two different Model 3’s? I don’t know if it would just ignore the key card not registered with it or if that would somehow block the registered key card from working if the unregistered one is detected first. I think the best solution in this case is to see if Tesla can register a single key card on two different Model 3’s.

You could probably take them to the service center and get all 4 cards working for both cars.

This is close to my plan -- I'd like to end up with two cards coded for both cars (my wallet, wife's purse) and one card each coded only for that car (lives in car for valet).

(And maybe a couple of spares to stay at home.) (Really would rather we could add and delete cards ourselves.)

Reactions: MP3Mike