Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two M3's? How to differentiate card keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My favored solution is a Dymo label, but that is overkill if you have different colors so can color-match stickers.
This is what we did. We primarily use the app for our respective cars and each person keeps a backup key on them (mine goes with my money clip and my wife’s goes in her phone case). The second key is just in our house labeled by small dynamo labels to keep track in case we need it.

I wish you could specify that a card is a Valet card, such that the use of it automatically puts the car in Valet mode. (In case you forget.)

Generally agree that profile should be associated with key (actually surprised this wasn't an early feature) though if you get out and the valet gets right in, that won't help -- they'll still be driving on your settings until they lock it up. Remember you can set valet from the app.

Generally agree that profile should be associated with key (actually surprised this wasn't an early feature) though if you get out and the valet gets right in, that won't help -- they'll still be driving on your settings until they lock it up. Remember you can set valet from the app.

If you get out and walk away they can get in and it will go into drive without the phone or card?

But in any case having the automatic valet would be a backup.

If you get out and walk away they can get in and it will go into drive without the phone or card?

Hmm -- not sure if getting out of the seat will trigger it to request a key. Certainly you can put it in park and back into drive without a reauthentication, and I don't believe it can tell the difference between the phone being in the car vs. next to it.

I believe there are some reasonable-delay algorithms, such as being able to unlock with the card and then begin driving without center-consoling the card.

I rarely use valet parking...but when I have (in previous cars) they always return my key with a paper tag with a number on it hooked to the key ring. How are they going to keep track of the valet keys when they have many Tesla model 3's? (or other future cars)
Tape?
Seems like Tesla should have a hole punched into the key card so they can insert the tag and hang it up in their key box.
I'm going to make a label and put my first name on mine.

Mike

Reactions: Lasairfion
I rarely use valet parking...but when I have (in previous cars) they always return my key with a paper tag with a number on it hooked to the key ring. How are they going to keep track of the valet keys when they have many Tesla model 3's? (or other future cars)
Tape?
Seems like Tesla should have a hole punched into the key card so they can insert the tag and hang it up in their key box.
I'm going to make a label and put my first name on mine.

I recall someone posting a picture of a piece of Official Tesla Masking Tape sticking their card and a number tag together.

Someone else has posted an x-ray of the card, showing safe drill zones. (Not, unfortunately, IIRC, nicely at the corners.)

ETA found one set of x-rays, though not the ones I remembered: X-Ray of the Key Card for Hole Punching

• Informative
Reactions: turns2stone
Keeping track of our keys….
I engraved them so they still fit into my minimalist wallet.

Attachments

• 41A3FBB6-CA05-4C25-984D-AFBFA7B8C777.jpeg
    41A3FBB6-CA05-4C25-984D-AFBFA7B8C777.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 330
Yes - you can program multiple vehicles to one key card.

My key card is currently authorized for three vehicles - both of our Model 3s and our roommate’s Model Y. It’s great.

Treat your key cards like commercial access control cards - each person has their own card that gives them access to whichever vehicles they’re authorized to drive. This is much easier than family members digging through a drawer of cards to find the one they’re looking for.

Note that key cards can be - and phone keys are - named. When you go to Car Menu > Locks, you’ll see a list of people who have accessed the vehicle along with their most recent access date or time, along with the access method (card vs phone).

131FD9AC-D999-4008-AF32-D4E15F44AA7C.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes - you can program multiple vehicles to one key card.

My key card is currently authorized for three vehicles - both of our Model 3s and our roommate’s Model Y. It’s great.

Treat your key cards like commercial access control cards - each person has their own card that gives them access to whichever vehicles they’re authorized to drive. This is much easier than family members digging through a drawer of cards to find the one they’re looking for.

Note that key cards can be - and phone keys are - named. When you go to Car Menu > Locks, you’ll see a list of people who have accessed the vehicle along with their most recent access date or time, along with the access method (card vs phone).

View attachment 754640

Perfect. We just picked up our first non S/X a couple of weeks back (MYP). Did not have cards for any of the previous ones. Will get another set of cards with Plaid.

Was going to ask this very question when I searched forum for answer.

We can have the same card for multiple cars. Sweet.