Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two miles of charge to get one mile of driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably missed it reading quickly but when you first get in the car the HVAC runs hard to acclimate the car to the set temp, then settles in to maintain. I have a 7 mile each way drive so I get exactly what you are seeing. Don't see location while on my phone but if you are in a place that sees winter just wait till you see what battery warming does.........
Spring and fall I can see 280wh/m come January that can nearly double. Another time I was away from home and inexperienced with the car and at single digits temps jumped in and got on the highway and saw it go over 700 on the 15mile average before it came back down.

You will quicky get a feel for it.

Reactions: N..8
I have exactly the same issue on my new 75D (with just about 500 miles). For short trips - it uses twice as many miles. This is not about phantom drain since I note mileage before and after my daily commute which is 6 mile each way. After my commute I see estimated mileage go down by 25 miles (twice as much). I’ll try some recommendations suggested here and see if that makes a difference.

I’ll try some recommendations suggested here and see if that makes a difference.

It must be hot there in Sunnyvale, you have cabin overheat on? Here in Florida temps the past weeks have been 92-94 degrees outside. The overheat kicks in all day long as the cabin temp rises to 104 from 10-4 pm. Also try to park in the shade, not shade at 8 am or 9, but shade as the sun position changes around your car from 11-4 perhaps.

I'm guessing, I'm using 10-18 miles of range per day to keep it reasonably cool inside to save the many things inside the car that are delicate to heat-the screen and a whole host of items are sensitive to prolonged heat degradation in these cars. This is normal for a Tesla.

Also your in a lot of stop and go traffic? I imagine you are. I see this is your first post.

The amount of used energy is directly related to efficiency of the drive, also what is happening when your not driving. Driving in stop and go traffic is not efficient at all even in a gasoline car. How heavy of a foot are you from a signal. It feels great, but there is a cost for that, Inefficiency perhaps.

Turn off connection to Tesla also that uses a lot of energy just checking in with Mother. Sending data to Tesla believe it or not, again awakens the car to some level to send them data. If you want to send them data, turn it on once a month or something for two hours while plugged in at home, then turn it off.

Also, when I was new at this I was constantly, I mean constantly checking in with my car via the app to see how much it was using. That process reawakens the car and in my experience uses the most energy. You know your doing it, stop that practice. The car is fine, let it rest.
It will let you know, when there is an update, when there is a problem, when if someone is messing with your car.

These are a few things that especially during the summer might not be at the top of the efficiency spectrum if your watching closely.

I hope it helps you.

Thanks oldschool496. It’s not been as hot here - mostly 70s. I always park in the shade. And yes my commute is a lot of stop and go.
I do have regenerative break on (not sure what impact it has). I turned on ‘range mode’ and still have to check it’s effect. Also, I see my avg is 273 wh/m. I’ll try turning of Tesla connect and see what it does.

Also, I see my avg is 273 wh/m. I’ll try turning of Tesla connect and see what it does.

Like SSedan said in the above, 273 is excellent in stop and go.

Yes definitely using energy in other place besides driving then.
Range mode on will help.
Yes Turn off Tesla Connect. That uses a lot of energy. Since it not hot as you say, then the connect is where the energy when parked may be going.

You said its 70 degrees. Thats 70 degrees at 7:30 am-8:00 am? The car if it has overheat on will still be coming on later in the day and throughout and could use as stated previously the biggest share of non-driving energy. 10-18 miles per day depending on how severe the inside temp could be.

If your in Stop and go and your using 273 thats pretty darn good.

I recently got 259-last 30 miles avg. and that was probably the best I have ever gotten. Now I was traveling with AP at 78mph on Florida flat highway 90 degrees outside 8:30 am AC on, new tires with 100 miles on them. This is what that looks like.

Is this where your getting your 273 in stop and go? See image. Actual usage is much more though if you toggle to another screen on Steering wheel controls My 259 and your 273 I think only relates to the driving portion of usage. There is another number that relates to all usage added together for instance on a trip. Its higher, it could be much higher avg.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 62
Some folks above have asked the OP what the car's average Wh/mile are. In case you haven't learned this yet -- Be aware that you can use your Energy application (on the main screen) to use what distance to use when averaging your energy use. The settings are 5 miles, 15 miles, and 30 miles (or corresponding distances in km). You can display the resulting calculated average on the instrument cluster on either of the side panels. Press and hold the thumb wheel on either the right or left side of the steering wheel, and a list comes up. (If you use the right-hand wheel, the Energy info will remain in place when you use Navigation, which displays in the left panel by default.) Scroll the wheel to see the options. Click on "Energy" to see a miniature version of the larger Energy app graph, with your average energy use in Wh/mile below that. Set the distance for what makes most sense for your driving, Change it whenever you want. E.g., set it for 5 miles to see what your average is when you take short trips around town. Or use 30 miles for longer trips, and so on.

You can also use the Trips screen (on the main screen or again, in the selectable list for the side panels on the instrument cluster) to see your average energy use in Wh/mile for your current trip, for the time since you last charged, and for Trips "A" or "B." Many people use Trip A as a permanent record of the total miles driven and energy used since they got the car, and never reset it. Then you can use Trip B for a long vacation trip, or for a particular season, or for any other interval you want, just like the trip gauge in any other car. (I keep Trip A for my long-term average, and use Trip B for specific trips, or sometimes to see how my energy use is in winter, e.g.)

You will find that it is helpful to know your energy use over a longer time/distance than just the current trip or current day, because as others have said, short trips have a high energy cost.

If you watch your energy use over the life of the car (using Trip A as I explained above), you will find that over time it approaches a steady state value that is more representative of your driving style, and is a better basis for comparison with other people's experience. If you live in a place that has real seasons, you will notice the long-term average will rise in spring/summer and fall in the winter. Over a period of years, that effect on the average diminishes (but of course your energy use will vary considerably if your climate has extreme cold or heat.

My practice is to use % for the battery gauge (but there are strong views on this topic!), and use the Energy app as i have described to see my car's energy use.

Hope that is helpful, and Happy Motoring!

That’s a lot of good data. Thanks guys.
Temperature where I live is 70av and 55 at night and does go up to 85 some weeks.
My current average is ~300 wh/m (says for last 30 miles that included a long trip of 40 mile round trip! This morning I took shots of instant and average projected range screens on my 5.5 mile commute m. The instant range seemed more accurate.
I’ll try to turn off Tesla Connect - once I figure out how to to it :eek:. Thanks for so many tips David, Sonnentag, Oldschool - will try out the trip screen.

Attachments

• 9A718495-FF91-4DE0-8569-66A985E70A50.jpeg
    9A718495-FF91-4DE0-8569-66A985E70A50.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 9E9F6CC2-7A9F-480F-A308-B35B2C2A1F49.jpeg
    9E9F6CC2-7A9F-480F-A308-B35B2C2A1F49.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 45
- once I figure out how to to it

to turn off/on data sharing

Controls

Safety and Security

Its hidden a little.

Grab the screen and scroll up

Data Sharing tap

A message will appear.

Make your choice

Read the message

Yes or No.

Look into the all the other settings

I suggest read the manual, then all the things you missed, or did not fully grasp, read it again. as months go by it will all start to gel. Then read the manual again. That last read months in is valuable.

Safe Travels as reading the manual actually may save your life or others lives, this car does a lot of things and is very safe, not fully understanding the safety systems is not advisable. Having a grasp of what the car may do at any given time starts with READING the manual.

Safe Travels

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
85 some weeks.

The overheat protection if selected to On starts cooling the inside after the inside reaches 104 deg. Getting to 104 on a hot day inside a car in summer anywhere in the US is easy. So, the temp outside is relative but not the determiner of whether its cooling a hot Tesla car.

Again highly recommend you select it to be On.

Keeping in mind when traveling that it uses energy while parked if reaches 104 inside and could reduce range surprising you if your not thinking about these things:

Like leaving your car for days at an airport maybe in the hot sun or other trip of stop and go sight seeing.

Reading the manual online or in the car is a must, highly advisable. You have to do it.

Take your car for a real drive 200 miles, then you'll get some data.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Bill_75D
OP and others should be quite confident that they experienced similar losses in efficiency when they were driving ICEs for relatively short trips and on trips that involved a lot of start-stop driving and/or highway acceleration. You just didn't notice it because nothing was there to draw your attention to it. The difference is that a Tesla provides tremendously more resolution when it comes to "fuel" capacity or consumption when compared to an analog fuel gauge.

The overheat protection if selected to On starts cooling the inside after the inside reaches 104 deg. Getting to 104 on a hot day inside a car in summer anywhere in the US is easy. So, the temp outside is relative but not the determiner of whether its cooling a hot Tesla car.

Again highly recommend you select it to be On.

Keeping in mind when traveling that it uses energy while parked if reaches 104 inside and could reduce range surprising you if your not thinking about these things:

Like leaving your car for days at an airport maybe in the hot sun or other trip of stop and go sight seeing.

Reading the manual online or in the car is a must, highly advisable. You have to do it.

Take your car for a real drive 200 miles, then you'll get some data.

One thing to be aware of regarding cabin overheat protection is that it only works within 12 hours of a previous trip. So for example yesterday morning, I started my car's AC at about 10:30 AM, in advance of a pending trip, and found the cabin temp had risen to 125F. Cabin overheat protection obviously was not working, apparently because I had parked the car the day before more than 12 hours before. It was a very hot day (over 90F by 10 AM), and that is the hottest i have ever noticed, but that illustrates the 12 hour limit.

I do wonder why that 12 hour limit exists. It seems rather arbitrary and in cases like mine yesterday, contrary to the best interest of the car.