Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two miles of charge to get one mile of driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mea culpa. I'm the negligent OP who failed to get back to the thread. Abundant apologies. And abundant thanks for all the helpful input, advice and discussion.

More than a year in . . . I've learned how to extract the most mileage possible in any given set of circumstances . . . if and when the most mileage possible is my priority. Let's be honest, there are times when all we want to do is enjoy how well the car drives along several miles of dips, curves, and straights.

But even when not enjoying the fun of putting the car through its paces, and consistent with what folks have discussed here, there are so many parameters in play that impact what sort of mileage is possible.

Repeated short trips, a lot of stop and start driving, running the A/C, pre-conditioning the car, ascending a mountain, engaging with the App or the Mother Ship, etc., etc. . . . all of these will limit the range possibilities.

Overall, I'm getting about a 67% return on a charge. If I charge to 200 miles, I can use 134 as a pretty safe estimate of how many miles of actual driving I'll get from that level of charge. I can get more, depending on the interaction between the driving conditions, car conditions, and driver behavior. And I can get less . . .

In talking with other Tesla owners in my area, this number seems in keeping with what they're experiencing as well. But again, if I choose to be particularly mindful (and particularly restrained with regard to how much I like seeing what the car can do), I can do much better than that - conditions allowing.

Having a reasonable, safe estimate is helpful for us because we don't have a charger at home. We live in a condo and have no way to charge at home. We use Tesla Superchargers (which are free to us given the terms of our purchase) and other chargers if and as appropriate. For example, some of the public parking garages here provide free charging. But that 67% figure helps us plan accordingly.

If anyone reading this is looking for ways to make sure "driver behavior" isn't unduly draining your battery, I'd affirm what others have said about bringing up the energy graph and using the meter to help you keep the kwh under 50. This has a marvelous way of reducing pressure on the pedal . . . and drain on the battery. I was impressed by how little pedal is actually needed to get to desired speeds in a timely (but not Formula 1) manner.

As for the vampire . . . we only lose 1-2 miles a night now. I echo all the other suggestions about ways to combat the vampire. An update this fall caused the vampire drain to spike to 36 miles lost in a mere 24 hours. But turning off summon was the silver bullet and restored things to normal.

I know this was long overdue. Again, my apologies. Hoping that at least some of the above is somehow helpful to someone.

Thanks TexLaw. I definitely enjoy the driving - particularly on certain roads. Alas, the overall ownership experience has been . . . well, not what we had hoped for or expected given the price point and other considerations. However - THAT is a different thread entirely! :) Keep enjoying the driving!