Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model 3’s on the Same BT Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a BT Business Hub and two Model 3s. For some reason the second Model 3 won’t connect. It just says it can’t get obtain the IP an IP address from the DHCP address.

Has anyone else come across this before?

Thanks

Have you tried:

1. Assigning your first Tesla a static IP that is different to the original. You can do this in your router settings. type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and log in as admin (password should be with router docs)
2. Only connecting your secont tesla (that wont connect) to make sure its not the wifi kit in the second one that is the problem?
3. Creating a guest SID in your router and connecting the second Tesla to that?

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
Can you see from your router screen what your router has identified the car as? My car shows as Tesla_model_3 rather than my car's name. You can set a static IP based on the MAC address of the Tesla's Wi-Fi radio.

• I'd connect the first car and force disconnection of the second (disable Wi-Fi association)
  • Set up a static IP address using the first car's MAC address on the DHCP table and call the car 'Tesla 1' (or whatever)
  • Connect second car to Wi-Fi, disable the first
  • Set up a static IP address using the second car's MAC address on the DHCP table and call the car 'Tesla 2' (or whatever)
  • Retry connecting to WAP with both.
You may need to repeat for both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz bands on your router for both cars, i.e. four static DHCP leases in all.

Thanks guys. I've tried disabling one but the problem still occurs. I was hoping it was a software issue but I hot spotted through my iPad and updated it and same problem. I'm actually thinking it's the stupid BT router so I might swap it out.

The Model 3 WiFi reception is pathetic - I find that moving my router 1m closer sorts all my issues. I can sit in the car with 2 bars on phone and zero on the Tesla.

I have a single AP with 2.4 and 5ghz on same SSID (ie no mesh and a very common config these days).

All in all they either have terrible antennas (located in mirror) or a terrible software stack. If the car wasn't 2 years old I'd hope for software but in this case I think they just messed up the hardware.

Round about way of saying is it possible the vehicle that cannot connect is further from your WIFI AP/mesh?