Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model 3 changes - Beginning of June

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, sometimes the things tesla does makes zero ( and I mean ZERO) sense...

So previously, they:

1. Took away floor mats
2. made people purchase the homelink garage adapter separate, for $300
3. Took away baggage hooks from the front trunk (frunk)

yet now they are going to include a wireless charger, instead of putting baggage hooks in the frunk, or putting homelink back in each car?

makes perfect sense, yep.

Man, sometimes the things tesla does makes zero ( and I mean ZERO) sense...

So previously, they:

1. Took away floor mats
2. made people purchase the homelink garage adapter separate, for $300
3. Took away baggage hooks from the front trunk (frunk)

yet now they are going to include a wireless charger, instead of putting baggage hooks in the frunk, or putting homelink back in each car?

makes perfect sense, yep.

It does make perfect sense though.

Presumably this is so they can standardize these parts between 3 and Y- it's cheaper to have ONE part in your system and supply chain for both models than to have two different ones.

Removing something entirely saves money.

Standardizing two similar cars to share a part does too.

Presumably this is so they can standardize these parts between 3 and Y- it's cheaper to have ONE part in your system and supply chain for both models than to have two different ones.

Yes, this was what I understood as well, that they made the decision because there is already a lot of parts between the 3 and the Y that are the same. Now I'm glad I haven't got a VIN yet, hopefully mine will be in the new batch!

I get that, but it certainly doesnt make sense that they would include a part (wireless charger) that they currently sell separately, when they are decontenting things like frunk hooks and floor mats.

Swapping the usb c makes sense (it actually does make sense). Including a wireless charger makes zero sense when they are already decontenting things like homelink, and floormats.

I get that, but it certainly doesnt make sense that they would include a part (wireless charger) that they currently sell separately, when they are decontenting things like frunk hooks and floor mats.

It would if it's part of the console.

Is the Y coming with the after-sale add-on wireless charger just sitting on top of the same console tray the 3 has? Or it the Y wireless charger actually a part of the console such that it'd be a different part from the 3 otherwise?

(I genuinely don't know- haven't seen the inside of a Y in person to know- but that'd explain it if that's the case)

I don’t get the need for wireless charging? I have it on my BMW and wireless charging seems so much slower than using a USB slot or fast charging in the lighter slot. Is Tesla somehow different?

No idea on the tesla wireless charging mat, but there is someone who sells USB adapters that allow the charging mats to fast charge. Not quite as. fast as plugged in, but its quite a bit less hassle.

I have it (wireless charging) on my wifes X3 as well, but I hardly drive that car any longer. I am not a huge fan of the BMW apps setup, even though I have it, and carplay on the BMW etc.

@Knightshade , on the console idea, honestly I never considered that, and I dont know, either (I havent been in a model Y). If its actually integrated into the console, I would agree it would make sense to standardize that if they can. No idea if the 3 and Y have the same center console, but I do know they share a lot of parts (and also some differences, like that heat pump).

I don’t get the need for wireless charging? I have it on my BMW and wireless charging seems so much slower than using a USB slot or fast charging in the lighter slot. Is Tesla somehow different?

The one use case where it really makes any sense is if you have a mixed-phone household- (or frequently have guests/passengers with different brands I suppose) - since wireless doesn't care if your phone port is lightning or USB-C or microUSB or whatever.

Otherwise- in the car I suppose it keeps you from having to fiddle with getting the charge plug to slide into the phone port- which can sometimes be tricky on the 3 using the default cables... and (using the 2nd/3rd gen taptes pad) I guess it lets you charge a single phone sideways which the factory cables don't really allow for...

Seems (outside of the mixed-brand thing I mention) though that it makes little sense at home where plugging in is not only a lot faster it lets you still hold the phone and use it plugged in while charging rather than having to leave it flat on the pad.... so home wireless charging pads I can't figure out any use case for at all really other than the mixed brand thing.

Everyone loves wireless phone charging for some reason. I see the point for AirPods and the like but not for phones since you can use them while plugged in and also charge faster as stated. But it’s personal preference. :D

In this case, does seem to be for making both the 3 and Y the same (same console?) and I also have no idea why they removed the frunk hooks. Those are so cheap, forget it. The mats, you can make a case for people wanting again their personal preference. (Weathertech? Many other brands.)

Reactions: SlimJim
Nope: wireless charging is slow and inefficient everywhere. Android phones are generally 10W max, though there are some chargers that go up to 15W. Apple's charging rate is maxed out at 7.5 watts currently.

Personally I like the convenience of wireless charging for 'maintenance' charging - it basically keeps my charge from dropping when I am using Waze (a very large battery usage app). If I need actual charging while in my car, I have a cord plugged into the cigarette lighter plug.

Reactions: Jazz_MIII and DBV1
Is the Y coming with the after-sale add-on wireless charger just sitting on top of the same console tray the 3 has? Or it the Y wireless charger actually a part of the console such that it'd be a different part from the 3 otherwise?

It is still a separate pad, but a different one. It uses a single USB-C connection. Some people complain about compatibility with some phones, in cases, like the Samsung S-20 so they are planning on swapping it our for an aftermarket pad.

SA just called to say that beginning of June cars will have standard wireless phone charging and USB-C ports.
He helped my son switch his order/build date from May 30 to a build date of June 5 and those two changes are now part of the build.
Car due in a couple weeks and I will post any other visible changes then.
Towing option would have been nice.

Reactions: UnicornDriver