Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model 3 changes - Beginning of June

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as well. Even though I'm in LA I serious doubt that my car was made this month if it's ready 6/10. I just can't see them building, testing, quality inspecting, delivery, and prep within days? But then that would be Tesla for you.

I'll post Sat on my 717, unless Tesla swaps it since I delayed 3 days. If it's not USB-C and Wireless I'm not going to refuse it at this point.

Honestly I placed my order a month before I wanted just because I was afraid Musk would raise the prices back up before end of June when I was originally going to put the order in. I don't even need it right now.
Someone picked up their LR(720XXX) and it didn't have the wireless charger and usb c. I don't think your will have them..

The one use case where it really makes any sense is if you have a mixed-phone household- (or frequently have guests/passengers with different brands I suppose) - since wireless doesn't care if your phone port is lightning or USB-C or microUSB or whatever.

Otherwise- in the car I suppose it keeps you from having to fiddle with getting the charge plug to slide into the phone port- which can sometimes be tricky on the 3 using the default cables... and (using the 2nd/3rd gen taptes pad) I guess it lets you charge a single phone sideways which the factory cables don't really allow for...

Seems (outside of the mixed-brand thing I mention) though that it makes little sense at home where plugging in is not only a lot faster it lets you still hold the phone and use it plugged in while charging rather than having to leave it flat on the pad.... so home wireless charging pads I can't figure out any use case for at all really other than the mixed brand thing.
You've never broken a charge port, I'm guessing. Watch a kid render a piece of electronics (adult kids, too) useless by killing the USB port and you'll wish it was simply wireless charging. I like being able to just plop down my phone and have it start charging. It's not like you use a phone much in the car while driving anyway. Waiting on someone? Sure. But, it's nice not having to plug into the phone.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Believe it. I'm also in CA and the build date of my Model 3 was 2 days before they delivered it.

There is some question over what the actual "born on" (build) date means, as it relates to tesla... at least to me there is, and I dont remember anyone confirming. What I mean is, what "exactly" is that date? We know tesla calls it a build date, or born on date, but is it the date they assign a vin to the car? If so, when in the process do they assign the vin (beginning? End? Somewhere in the middle?).

On a BMW, there is a specific manufacturing step when they assign a vin to a car, and its when the car goes "into production". On a tesla, I suspect they may assign these near the end of production (maybe even as they finish?). Since they really are not building a tesla "to order" but building batches of cars with specific specs (unlike BMW which is building cars with expansive option lists specc'ed out how a specific dealer ordered that specific car.

Given that these are not the first times we have read about people taking delivery in california very shortly after the cars " build (born on) date, I suspect that the vins are assigned at the end... which would explain how someone in so cal could take delivery of a car with a build date 2 days earlier.

Just a guess though

How about some photos of the first one in the wild? What about the inside armrest and rear passenger console; USB-C as well?

My SA hasn't got back to me. Was supposed to pick up tomorrow and going to Costa Mesa Sat instead.

What's you VIN ?

717xxx is mine.

Here's hoping we're similar.

Mine is 710xxx.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 177
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 152
Shoot. I got a text from Tesla on May 31st telling me my M3P was ready and being shipped.

Looks like good old USB-A for me!

We’ll all find out soon I guess.

Tue June 2nd at 4pm I got my text stating “
Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 10 days”

Sat June 6th At 11am I got another text stating “Your vehicle delivery has been tentatively scheduled for June 10th at 11am.”

So it’s hard to say exactly when it was built yet. But likely between the 2nd and 6th.

We’ll all find out soon I guess.

Tue June 2nd at 4pm I got my text stating “
Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 10 days”

Sat June 6th At 11am I got another text stating “Your vehicle delivery has been tentatively scheduled for June 10th at 11am.”

So it’s hard to say exactly when it was built yet. But likely between the 2nd and 6th.
Interesting. I received the building in 10 days on the 2nd as well (M3 LE AWD) but no delivery. Hoping soon!

My VIN is 719, if that has any relevance.

I never got a text about my M3P getting ready to be built. I only received this text from Tesla on 5/31:

Your Model 3 is on its way to the Columbus Delivery Center and ready to be scheduled for delivery! Select your appointment now at tesla.com/schedule/RN113389xxx

We now offer a touchless delivery experience. Check in, complete documents on your own in your Model 3, watch tutorials on the touchscreen, and drive.

I wonder if my car was built before the factory shut down.

Last edited:
SA just called to say that beginning of June cars will have standard wireless phone charging and USB-C ports. He helped my son switch his order/build date from May 30 to a build date of June 5 and those two changes are now part of the build. Car due in a couple weeks and I will post any other visible changes then.
I’d rather have homelink, frunk hooks and auto dipping mirrors.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
While we’re at it, let’s include all of the above and the heat pump from MY.

I started another thread about that. Seems like it would take a while to do a serious redesign to get the heat pump into the Model 3. I don’t know if Tesla wants to devote the resources. Nor how many miles of range would it add to a 3 anyway. Besides potential upcoming battery changes might be easier to swap in and provide better benefit than heat pump.

While I wouldn’t mind heat pump in the 3 I’m pretty sure the Y gets a better benefit from it than a 3 would. Resources better spend elsewhere.

All the other stuff mentioned above is low hanging fruit and fairly easy to update.

I asked my SA today and he said cars being built after 6/4 will have these changes...I'm taking delivery this Wednesday 6/10 and he said my car would most likely not have them. I'm assuming this is because it begun being built prior to 6/4.

Update: So I picked up my car yesterday, and contrary to what my SA had told me, it actually ended up having wireless charging and the USB-C ports in the back--a pleasant surprise!

IMG_0662.jpeg IMG_0661.jpg

I talked to my SA. But only after I reached out. I let him know I have been assigned a VIN, because a different SA checked for me while at the store. It does also show on code last six of VIN is 707161. I don't know what that means.
SA said the vehicle was leaving the factory or had just left. However, I asked him about the build date and if after June would have a different charging setup. He said he doesn't know what I am talking about build date. And he has no information on June and after coming with different charging.