Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model X USB Data Ports Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
I started a thread (USB Data Ports Stopped Working--Due to Software Update?) over on "Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App."

There appear to be a many threads and posts about USB port problems in all four models scattered around the TMC site, but it is difficult to pin down a single root cause and therefore a clear-cut solution. Software and hardware are the obvious choices. But my USB/Dashcam failure appears to be from around 12/24/2021, which is certainly suspicious (perhaps pointing to holiday software update). In the mean time I have until January 19 to find a fix before Tesla mobile service comes out and starts digging around inside the car. Now that I know about it, I'll be interested to see if this failure is intermittent, as some have reported.

If you are a 'Legacy" Model X owner with this problem, please let me know how you dealt with it. Thanks.

*****​

See Post #8, below, for successful conclusion to this mystery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
What year vehicle do you have?
Dashcam failure is most common due to the usb drive. Traditional flash drives will die due to the heavy use. A large solid state drive or sd card based drive is needed.
That being said, my X did have a usb plug failure. They swapped it out under warranty, but it was inexpensive if I recall correctly.

What year vehicle do you have?
Dashcam failure is most common due to the usb drive. Traditional flash drives will die due to the heavy use. A large solid state drive or sd card based drive is needed.
That being said, my X did have a usb plug failure. They swapped it out under warranty, but it was inexpensive if I recall correctly.

Thanks. for your response. I didn't mention that car info because it is now in my "signature," which is at the bottom of each post--but not obvious: early 2021 (not refreshed) Model X LR+ 5-seater w/latest FSD Beta software.

There is no problem with the USB drive. (It's a large Samsung Pro SSD!) Or with the USB cable. The ports are dead. (Or were yesterday. Some report an intermittent problem.)

ah cool.. under warranty.. should be a quick mobile service (in April, by the time they schedule it)

Yes. I have initiated a mobile repair appointment for January 19. However, I was hoping there would be a "quick-fix" by someone in the meantime. However, it may be a hardware problem. Some of the USB "fixes" in other TMC posts have been quite lengthy or involved. People start with mobile reapir but end up having to leave the car with Service for extended peiods, to change computers or whatever. I hope my issue is simpler to correct. However, depending on the model-year, the USB failures may not all have the same root-cause.

Yes. I have initiated a mobile repair appointment for January 19. However, I was hoping there would be a "quick-fix" by someone in the meantime. However, it may be a hardware problem. Some of the USB "fixes" in other TMC posts have been quite lengthy or involved. People start with mobile reapir but end up having to leave the car with Service for extended peiods, to change computers or whatever. I hope my issue is simpler to correct. However, depending on the model-year, the USB failures may not all have the same root-cause.

Tesla rescheduled mobile appointment for January 31. No explanation.

At mobile appointment tech guy said he couldn't fix the problem (it required removing the center console). He ran a hard-boot of the car just be make sure but said he didn't even have fuses to check (if there was a fuse burned out). But with the 12v accessory port and the two power-only ports operating, it sounds like some king of mechanical/electrical failure affecting just the two USB data ports.

Had to schedule a full service visit a month out. That will be two months without security video.

Plus no guarantee whether (a) car can be fixed in one day and (b) there will be a loaner car.

Annoying. Probably a $1 part but $100 in inconvenience.

Successful culmination to the story. Visit to Sacramento Service Center, February 17,2022. Car delivered to SC at ~9 am; returned (after hours) at ~6 pm. Work performed under warranty--no charge.
  • Power and data transference capability restored for two USB data ports.

• Repair invoice said, "Verified customers concern. Found front usb inoperative. Found soft set connector to USB hub. Properly connected usb connector and verified proper operation."

• Work required: "Center Console Assembly (Remove & Install)"
What I was told verbally is that certain wires running along the (left-?) side of the center console assembly are joined with not-the-strongest connectors. And they can be stretched tight coming out of the factory. The road vibrations from normal driving can cause these connectors to fail. Tesla personnel removed the center console (or parts thereof), re-arranged the wires in question to be less taut, and re-connected the loose connectors. Problem solved.

So it apparently had nothing to do with any firmware upgrade. (Sorry Tesla software coders.)

I have a similar issue in a late 2016 model s only the left USB port is not functional - I tried reboot and verified it is not a bad cable. I can’t use it for usb dash cam or phone charging. But the other usb and the 12v are fine - any thoughts? My service center is too far away so ill probably wait unless mobile can fix it. Software 2022.4.5.3

I have a similar issue in a late 2016 model s only the left USB port is not functional - I tried reboot and verified it is not a bad cable. I can’t use it for usb dash cam or phone charging. But the other usb and the 12v are fine - any thoughts? My service center is too far away so ill probably wait unless mobile can fix it. Software 2022.4.5.3

Difficult to know. A 2016 may differ from a 2021 in the location, orientation, and setup of the USB connection wires?

I suppose that it could be a similar cause (i.e., a wire-connector came loose), but in your case only for one USB port?) Maybe mine uses a single nylon dual-circuit connector whereas your car uses two single-circuit connectors?

On the other hand, it could be something entirely different? A problem at the USB hub (whatever that is?) or at the USB port itself.

Nonetheless it sounds like hardware, not software, and something related to wire connections. My mobile tech would not take the center console apart. But maybe yours will? All you can do is report the problem, explain that you think it requires fixing wires on the side of the console, and see what Service says. Or you can take the console apart yourself, but I do not recommend that unless you are (a) handy, (b) comfortable with (interior/electrical) car-repair, and (c) experienced taking stuff apart in the Tesla. Even then, what if there is a broken part. You'd have to order it. But electrical parts can be difficult to procure, right?

It's a tough call. If me, I'd want the darn thing fixed (but not if it going to cost hundreds). The most critical thing is having a USB data port for security video storage. But your car may not have Sentry Mode or Dashcam features? If it does, use the remaining data port for that. Everything else is just for convenience/entertainment (phone, music, etc.). And you do have one data port left. So make do with that, be prepared to put in a service request, or do the work yourself. Your call. Good luck with this. Let us know.

Hi, 2018 Model X. Both USB ports not working. Car does not even know there is anything
connected to the USB in the center console - no devices (only tried USB drive and phone)
are not recognized/don't power up when plugged into the port(s). Phone and drive have
both been checked and work fine ... just not in the car.

I do not know how long this has been true but I do know that I used the music part of
my USB drive "some time in the last month". I'm pretty sure there has been a software
update recently - but do not know if that was when they stopped working. Ideas?
Just call service?
- Jim in the PNW

Hi, 2018 Model X. Both USB ports not working. Car does not even know there is anything
connected to the USB in the center console - no devices (only tried USB drive and phone)
are not recognized/don't power up when plugged into the port(s). Phone and drive have
both been checked and work fine ... just not in the car.

I do not know how long this has been true but I do know that I used the music part of
my USB drive "some time in the last month". I'm pretty sure there has been a software
update recently - but do not know if that was when they stopped working. Ideas?
Just call service?
- Jim in the PNW

In my car a wire connector under the center console had come undone. They told me that when the cars were assembled (in Fremont) the two connecting wires did not have a lot of slack and the connector could get pulled apart (due to road vibration or whatever). Tesla Service fixed the problem for me, I hope permanently. (But it took awhile to schedule an appointment, and which--because the center console had to be removed--had to be at a Service Center, not via mobile service.)