Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model Y Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Model Y LR in September and love it. My wife wants to go electric with our second car. Should I go Tesla model Y again knowing what I am getting, or should I consider some of the newer offerings such as the Kia EV6, Hyundai Iqonic 5 or the Mustang Mach E (benefits include the tax credit and some variety). I am sure others have had this dilemma.

I received my Model Y LR in September and love it. My wife wants to go electric with our second car. Should I go Tesla model Y again knowing what I am getting, or should I consider some of the newer offerings such as the Kia EV6, Hyundai Iqonic 5 or the Mustang Mach E (benefits include the tax credit and some variety). I am sure others have had this dilemma.
I think it really comes down to use case. As much as I love Tesla and feel they are best for pretty much everyone, I'm capable of an objective analysis and have researched the competitors (all of the ones you mentioned and more). I think it comes down to your goals. Some key questions are: What do you like best about your Model Y? What do you dislike? How far do you drive on a daily basis? How often would you road trip with the car?

As much as I love my MYP, I don’t think I would ever want two of the same car in my household if it was my decision, simply because I’d like some variety. My wife feels the same way and when she wanted to get in EV we decided on a Volvo C40. We just picked it up this week and I think it’s a great car for her. I’ve really enjoyed driving it so far as well. Definitely a good compliment to my MYP in our garage.

BE342D17-6580-4730-BAA4-1AD6689D4388.jpeg

Personally I never understood spending tens of thousands of dollars on something else just because you want some variety. If my wife’s car was also my ideal car, then that is what I would also get. Couldn’t imagine getting something “lesser” for the sake of variety, but that is assuming it meets fewer of your needs.

I would narrow it down to one or two other vehicles and compare them to the Y. If you don’t find anything that is is a deal breaker then maybe some variety is a good thing.

Just make sure you look at those things that Tesla owners take for granted too. Supercharger network, software updates, fast infotainment system, etc. I hear people overlook that and realize afterwards it was a mistake.

Went through the same thing, pre-ordered and Ionic 5. Cancelled order after some time and bought myself a 22 model S LR. Could not be happier.

Decided against the Ionic mainly because we are talking to different environments when it comes to operation and the biggest factor was charging compatibility and range. My Wall connector at home and at the office would not have worked. The simplicity of plug and play at Superchargers would have been a no go. Over 10 years of building EVs must have given tesla an upper hand. Would not have ordered another Y, not because it is not a great car, just want something different to choose from depending on when and where we are going. The refreshed Model S is just way too cool to disregard, love it.

Reactions: IdaX
As an owner of 2 Tesla vehicles (M3LR & MYLR owner) I'll say go for another brand.
Tesla has proven reliability (all my Tesla's had minor fit & finishes issues but that's about it), but recent price increases means you're spending >$60k for a new MYLR. For ~$50k, the Ioniq 5 & EV6 are total winners, and this is not factoring the $7500 federal tax rebate.

Ioniq 5 + EV6 = more features (i.e. Carplay, 360 camera), quieter ride, more comfortable ride, longer warranty
Mach E = while less efficient, also more features and a quieter ride & 2nd year of the model

Have your wife sit & test drive each of these, if possible. But I personally believe the MY is overrated, especially for the current price.
Personally, I'll be selling/trading the MY with my eye on the EV6...if you can wait long enough, Toyota/Subaru/Lexus are coming out with their EV's later this year plus for ~$60k, the Cadillac Lyriq can also be had.

Reactions: EV Car
Same dilemma here. Took delivery in June for my 21MYLR and today the same build is $8000 more. Looking closely at the Audi e-tron Sportback since we'll be trading in her 2018 SQ5. Also, cannot ignore the Audi $7500 tax credit which ran out for Tesla a few years back.

Reactions: EV Car
all others have yet to proven reliability and yet to be tested. EVs come down to 3 factors: battery, charging station & software-and nobody else is close to that yet. I made a mistake thinking that I need 2 different EVs-my 2017 Bolt battery recall or fix is taking way too long-still not dome after 17 months since a got the first snail mail from GM. While my MY is getting better, never older with OTA updates. I shouldn't have sold my 2018 M3 to buy the Bolt. Don't make decision on tax credit incentive and childish taste.

I've shown this before here. Just get a different color and you'll be fine. If the model Y is the best current choice for both of you, then absolutely get 2. I'm still waiting on a truck (I have 8 different reservations for all of the different brands, though cybertruck is still at the top of my list), and my wife is still thinking about a r1s, but for now, model y is the best for us. Our good family friends also bought their first model y about 2 months ago, and on Tuesday are picking up their second MYLR and trading in their escalade for the exact same reason. I originally told him that after getting a Tesla 2 years ago, that "I won't go back to a gas car", and he thought I was exaggerating until he got one and they fought over who could drive it. He is definitely a believer now.

20220202_161519.jpg

20220202_161456.jpg

I've shown this before here. Just get a different color and you'll be fine. If the model Y is the best current choice for both of you, then absolutely get 2. I'm still waiting on a truck (I have 8 different reservations for all of the different brands, though cybertruck is still at the top of my list), and my wife is still thinking about a r1s, but for now, model y is the best for us. Our good family friends also bought their first model y about 2 months ago, and on Tuesday are picking up their second MYLR and trading in their escalade for the exact same reason. I originally told him that after getting a Tesla 2 years ago, that "I won't go back to a gas car", and he thought I was exaggerating until he got one and they fought over who could drive it. He is definitely a believer now.

View attachment 780158
View attachment 780159
Forget the cars, I'm more interested in the house! Nicely done.

We are in the same exact boat right now. My wife has a Model Y SR that we love and now I'm due for something new. I initially ordered a MYP, but now I'm thinking at minimum, I should maybe switch to an M3P or even another brand altogether (Polestar 2 perhaps?)