Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Model Y Household?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - my wife currently has a Model Y SR and I've been toying with getting a MYP as my next vehicle (coming from a BMW M3). That said, I've begun to wonder (worry?) that the MYP will be too similar to the SR, since they are by and large the same vehicle, especially on the interior.

Is this a valid concern or am I overthinking things? Anyone else in the community have a similar setup?

TK

I’ve got a MYSR and a M3SR+. Why not go after a M3P? I enjoy driving both cars but I’m not sure how’d I feel if I had two of the same Model’s. Granted, you’d be getting a MYP, which is blistering fast compared to a MYSR+ but they are very much similar in size and whatnot.

Almost added a second Y to or family and then said to myself. Time to spoil yourself so I went with the S. No regrets, best of both worlds. If the funds are there, go for the S, amazing car. My other concern was having 2 same cars, always nice to have a choice.

Reactions: ChadS
We got a 2020 model y LR , and fought over it, so now we have two new 2022 MYPs. Its just currently the best vehicle we have found that is available. After test drives, my business partner, and another family friend both got Model Ys, and ALSO switched to having his/her model ys. Though the family friend, just decided to get a model s plaid for himself. Used prices are so good right now that switching cars frequently has very little $$$ disadvantage. That being said, I still am planning on getting a cybertruck, r1t or similar so we won't be a 2 model y family for too long.
20220202_161519.jpg
20220202_161456.jpg

We got a 2020 model y LR , and fought over it, so now we have two new 2022 MYPs. Its just currently the best vehicle we have found that is available. After test drives, my business partner, and another family friend both got Model Ys, and ALSO switched to having his/her model ys. Though the family friend, just decided to get a model s plaid for himself. Used prices are so good right now that switching cars frequently has very little $$$ disadvantage. That being said, I still am planning on getting a cybertruck, r1t or similar so we won't be a 2 model y family for too long.View attachment 798887View attachment 798888
Clever plates!

Reactions: 101dals
Hello - my wife currently has a Model Y SR and I've been toying with getting a MYP as my next vehicle (coming from a BMW M3). That said, I've begun to wonder (worry?) that the MYP will be too similar to the SR, since they are by and large the same vehicle, especially on the interior.

Is this a valid concern or am I overthinking things? Anyone else in the community have a similar setup?

TK
Drove an LR AWD Model 3 for 2 years (104K miles) as daily commuter then traded that for a 2021 LR 7 Seat Model Y, meanwhile used a 2020 MYP as 2nd family car.

Just recently switch the LR MY back to a Model 3 - I realized that I miss the handling of the smaller 3 vs the Y. So now I got the more agile M3P.

I am excited 🙀 to drive the M3P in Track Mode!
20220425_064117.jpg

I guess one positive would be sharing of wheels, if that ever became an issue, like for a spare tire or winter tires? X and Y cannot share wheels. Perhaps it is not worth mentioning.

One the downside, if some kind of issue affecting the Y specifically, then both are affected. Say a recall for something or software bug.

Edit: I say X since model Y is CUV, assuming a similar style for the other one...

Do you call your home "IWANT0" ?
Can you explain the floor plan of your home.
Do you have two wings, one on each side as guest house, and your main home on the back?
How many cars can you park in your garage? Will the Cybertruck fit inside?
'I want 0' wouldn't make sense with a house...but , just to make sure we are on the same page, my license plate reads "I wanted one", and the wife's would be "I wanted one too".

The structure on the left is a detached 2 car garage, with the main house on the right that has a courtyard in the front. I have an additional 3 car garage and a rv garage attached to the main home. The cybertruck will be parked in the RV garage so plenty of room there for sure.

'I want 0' wouldn't make sense with a house...but , just to make sure we are on the same page, my license plate reads "I wanted one", and the wife's would be "I wanted one too".

The structure on the left is a detached 2 car garage, with the main house on the right that has a courtyard in the front. I have an additional 3 car garage and a rv garage attached to the main home. The cybertruck will be parked in the RV garage so plenty of room there for sure.

About the MY's colors, I guess one car match the color of the top of the Scenic Idaho license plate, and the other the bottom color.
So the next one should be white? Except the Cybertruck will not be white...

We got a 2020 Model Y LR , and fought over it, so now we have two new 2022 MYPs.
I only been to Twin Falls, Idaho (Great dinner experience at Jakers Bar and Grill, BTW) on my way to Yellowstone National Park.

I was considering going to Glacier National Park and Banff National Park but I found the Supercharging to be a little bit tricky for now.

Did you tried with a Model Y P (303 miles range) going north to the Missoula or Spokane Supercharger or south to the Winnemucca Supercharger?
Additional Superchargers midway would certainly be very useful.

Note: I really don't like driving below 40% SoC, and certainly not below 20% SoC,
as I experienced having to make some unexpected detours because of an accident or works on the road.
Also, I believe the speed limit was 80 mph, so when driving like 85 mph and some wind the consumption went quite high.

Last edited:
Hands down I'd go with a 3 either LR or M3P over another Y. The 3 is just so much more fun to drive than the Y. You already have a Y if you need more space.

If you go with a M3 LR and add boost it will be about as quick as the MYP off the line and quicker at high speeds if that matters. It is a lot more efficient too. It has more front leg room as well. As a bonus you get more range and better ride quality.

I had Y and sold it when the S arrived. We needed another car and went with the 3 over another Y. I am so glad we did. The Y is a pretty good car but I think the 3 is a much better in most areas UNLESS you need more room or to tow (in the US).

I only been to Twin Falls, Idaho (Great dinner experience at Jakers Bar and Grill, BTW) on my way to Yellowstone National Park.

I was considering going to Glacier National Park and Banff National Park but I found the Supercharging to be a little bit tricky for now.

Did you tried with a Model Y P (303 miles range) going north to the Missoula or Spokane Supercharger or south to the Winnemucca Supercharger?
Additional Superchargers midway would certainly be very useful.

Note: I really don't like driving below 40% SoC, and certainly not below 20% SoC,
as I experienced having to make some unexpected detours because of an accident or works on the road.
Also, I believe the speed limit was 80 mph, so when driving like 85 mph and some wind the consumption went quite high.

So, we don't do a lot of highway miles yet, b/c we also have a honda odyssey minivan that is our son's car that we like for the space (family of 5) and to put the high mileage on, but we have done Boise -> Provo several times and Boise to rexburg. But yeah, driving 87 mph and in the winter, mileage plummets. From our home to Twin falls SC is around 140 miles and that is a stretch where you might have to start slowing down from 87 mph.

We are actually backpacking glacier this summer but we are taking the van.

Once tesla puts their planned SC in mountain home, then its not an issue at all. There is already an EA charger there, and if you get the CCS adapter from korea then you could start using CCS ->

Now....boise to winnemucca is 250 miles. And we used to drive that all the time on the way to sacramento, but don't anymore since grandparents passed away.

I would not attempt that stretch in a Tesla. Or...maybe I would if it was 70° and I drove 50mph but that would be terrible since the speed limit is now either 65 or 70 through the indian reservations. Navigation has you go backtrack all the way east to twin falls then down and around through elko which of course adds a TON of miles and time.

I would also not attempt it if I didn't have the CCS adapter. Maybe even if I did I still wouldn't, b/c there is a CCS station in Mcdermitt, and its only 50kwh...but...its in Mcdermitt, and there is only one, and ...knowing Mcdermitt and how backwater it is, there is a super good chance its not working.

Boise to Spokane seems fine...the normal google maps directions through kennewick, there are superchargers all strung out along that route, but I haven't done it.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't believe a Y SR and an MYP would be any sort of problem. I haven't had that exact pairing, but for a decade now my wife and I have both had Teslas, including when she had an S 85 and I had an S P90DL...so similar setup, just both bigger, flatter hatchbacks than the Ys. I too initially was put off by the idea of having two of the "same" car - don't you want cars with different capabilities so you can choose the best tool for the job? - but EV choices were fewer then, and aging parents pushed us in this direction.

She was happy in her "pretty" RWD S in SIgnature red, and I was happy in my Performance S. Since we never had any reason to trade cars, her seat was always in the right position and she could leave all of her...possessions in the car, and we were both happy. The S (like the Y) is a really capable all-around car, so it really worked out well. I also liked the idea of being able to share accessories, although in practice I don't recall that happening.

IMG_20160914_192917.jpg

She later traded her S for an X as her father's back worsened, and once my S lease ended I had an M3P for a while but recently got an MYP. So now we have an X and a Y, and even they are kind-of similar. But she needs her X for towing and stowing her bike in back; while my MYP is the more fun and efficient car to drive. They are close enough in capability we should never have to trade cars for the day.

Some above have suggested you consider an M3P instead of an MYP. I'd echo that, especially if you are coming from an M3. I love the utility of my MYP, but the M3P was far more entertaining to drive. Also as mentioned, you could also consider an S for something different...we both loved ours, though they are more cruisers than sports cars so I'd think M3P would be a better match for OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: z335is
So, we don't do a lot of highway miles yet, b/c we also have a honda odyssey minivan that is our son's car that we like for the space (family of 5) and to put the high mileage on, but we have done Boise -> Provo several times and Boise to rexburg. But yeah, driving 87 mph and in the winter, mileage plummets. From our home to Twin falls SC is around 140 miles and that is a stretch where you might have to start slowing down from 87 mph.

We are actually backpacking glacier this summer but we are taking the van.

Once tesla puts their planned SC in mountain home, then its not an issue at all. There is already an EA charger there, and if you get the CCS adapter from korea then you could start using CCS ->

Now....boise to winnemucca is 250 miles. And we used to drive that all the time on the way to sacramento, but don't anymore since grandparents passed away.

I would not attempt that stretch in a Tesla. Or...maybe I would if it was 70° and I drove 50mph but that would be terrible since the speed limit is now either 65 or 70 through the indian reservations. Navigation has you go backtrack all the way east to twin falls then down and around through elko which of course adds a TON of miles and time.

I would also not attempt it if I didn't have the CCS adapter. Maybe even if I did I still wouldn't, b/c there is a CCS station in Mcdermitt, and its only 50kwh...but...its in Mcdermitt, and there is only one, and ...knowing Mcdermitt and how backwater it is, there is a super good chance its not working.

Boise to Spokane seems fine...the normal google maps directions through kennewick, there are superchargers all strung out along that route, but I haven't done it.
As a matter of fact, I recently got a CCS 1 adapter and I'm working on getting the hardware to get it working, hopefully before the summer.
Otherwise I will have to find some L2 chargers to charge overnight during my future trip.