Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two+ Model Y's...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading most of the posts here and in seeing signatures, I've noticed a number of people who have a Model Y and have ordered another one. I won't assume to know why would you do that but curious to hear straight from the horse's mouth.

So, why would you order another of the SAME car?

now that I have the WC installed in a place accessible to two spots in my garage my home is multi-Tesla ready. Wife has been warming up to driving the MY, if she ever decides she wants it full time, most likely she'd take it and I would either order a MYP or MS/X plaid.

Probably going to wait 3-6 months to break in our MY and make sure EV life is something we can live with especially in cold winter months before deciding to buy another EV.

I'll make some assumptions :D

For some reason there are people currently willing to pay MORE than new pricing on used Model Ys. I could order a new Model Y and put my existing Model Y up for sale. The potential positive balance on the sale would cover everything for licensing and taxes on the new car and potentially rental cars between sale of old and delivery of new. And I'd be done with a ~30K mile car and have a ~0 mile car.

Also, I haven't seen it with Teslas but definitely with other brands/models. Some families just REEEAAAAALLY like a particular car. I have a friend who's family have THREE of the same car, at the same house. Two white and one light gray. These people are unoriginal, but also they found something they like and they're sticking with it.

Some households have four or more drivers. The potential for duplicate cars can get pretty high I think.

I personally wouldn't do that. I think. Though I do think the Model Y is by far the most appropriate Tesla for my household. My wife and I share it currently and foresee no reason in the future to own two cars.

Because it represents great value and practicality. Seems like an obvious choice.
This.

My wife currently drives a hybrid but if she went to an EV, I'm pretty sure it would be a MY. We'd lean towards Tesla in general for the value and also logistical reasons (e.g., HPWC). The S and X are more than we'd care to spend on a vehicle and neither of us has owned a sedan in some time, ruling out the M3.

now that I have the WC installed in a place accessible to two spots in my garage my home is multi-Tesla ready. Wife has been warming up to driving the MY, if she ever decides she wants it full time, most likely she'd take it and I would either order a MYP or MS/X plaid.

Probably going to wait 3-6 months to break in our MY and make sure EV life is something we can live with especially in cold winter months before deciding to buy another EV.
FWIW - we have been all EV since 2018 with a M3 and MS. No issues at all with cold and both are great in the snow even with "all-season" tires. The ability to pre-warm car with the app is great in the winter!

Reactions: BagheeraNY
FWIW - we have been all EV since 2018 with a M3 and MS. No issues at all with cold and both are great in the snow even with "all-season" tires. The ability to pre-warm car with the app is great in the winter!
The biggest thing I want to experience with an EV is subzero temperatures while parked outside. As long as we don't experience range anxiety or battery performance issues while properly preconditioning I think another Tesla will happen.

The biggest thing I want to experience with an EV is subzero temperatures while parked outside. As long as we don't experience range anxiety or battery performance issues while properly preconditioning I think another Tesla will happen.
Ours are garaged, but we have not seen any significant range loss while parked outside during the day, even on sub-zero days.

Biggest issue to leaving outside in cold overnight is the drain to warm battery up when you leave and there is a noticeable drop in regen performance with a cold battery. Sometimes I actually have to use the brakes to slow down in the winter! This can be mitigated by plugging your Tesla in night and using scheduled departure to complete charging before you leave and warm the battery.

This thread has some good info on winter range effects.

I believe my Model Y is far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned, including my old Model 3. My wife needs a new car and it's a no-brainer. Our EDD just got pushed out to 10/1-7, so we'll have to wait a few more days for #2. Both are white/white/LR/induction.

Once we get the new one broken in, I'll give #1 to my daughter and get myself a MSM/White/LR/Induction.

Reactions: Big Earl
But why get another M3? Why not get a different Tesla model? My wife would look at me hella sideways if we end up getting another Model Y...

But to each his own...

Because it suits our needs and the one we are looking at happens to be a pretty good deal. Truth be told, we are buying our roommate’s used mid-range 3 with FSD since he just took delivery of a new Y. The outgoing vehicles will be a 2013 Fiat 500e and a 2014 Cadillac ELR and this upgrade/consolidation will only cost us about $5k.

While I’d like a Y, I’m not really excited about the idea of buying a new one when we are ultimately waiting for a Cybertruck.

I got asked that a lot when we bought our second Model 3, just 4 months after the first one. The first one was supposed to be mine (I'm the one who stood in line for hours to put down a deposit). But between the time we placed the deposit and we were able to place our order, my better half decided she wanted it. Happy wife, happy life....

Just as well as we really needed an AWD so we ordered and took delivery of the second. Both of us couldn't be happier with the experience. Only things we missed were not having an SUV with the extra cargo space and higher riding position. Just took delivery of a Model Y and will be selling the LR RWD Model 3. As practical as the Model Y is, I can easily see why hubby and wifey would both like their own.

We had 2 Chevy Bolt EVs and now we are transitioning to a Model 3 and Model Y. We had kept an ICE car while we had the Bolts because their range and the non-Tesla charging infrastructure were too iffy to rely solely on EVs. With the range of the Long Range models and the Supercharger network, I feel comfortable only having BEVs as our only source of transportation.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl