Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two month old Model S refresh might be totaled, will insurance pay for a new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys think this car will be totaled? If so how will they figure out what to pay me? This car was only 70 days old and under 4k miles. It was a Model S refresh '22 refresh 19' FSD. When they give me a payout does it include the taxes I will have to pay again or does it come out of my pocket? I hit the other driver going around 40MPH and all the airbags went off.

tempImagerEKSAo.jpg

On my policy I added the "new car replacement" which states for any reason during the 1st year if the car is totaled, they will provide money for a full on NEW replacement, regardless of the depreciation of my car within the first 12 months.

Beyond that I think they will subtract depreciation at the time of the accident and pay out it's value. What you may consider is trying to get screen grabs for a Model S with the same milage same year, and see if they will match that value.

Reactions: stok1232
On my policy I added the "new car replacement" which states for any reason during the 1st year if the car is totaled, they will provide money for a full on NEW replacement, regardless of the depreciation of my car within the first 12 months.

Beyond that I think they will subtract depreciation at the time of the accident and pay out it's value. What you may consider is trying to get screen grabs for a Model S with the same milage same year, and see if they will match that value.
I do have Tesla insurance and I don't think they have that option but regardless it wouldn't matter since the other insurance will be paying out.

Do you guys think this car will be totaled? If so how will they figure out what to pay me? This car was only 70 days old and under 4k miles. It was a Model S refresh '22 refresh 19' FSD. When they give me a payout does it include the taxes I will have to pay again or does it come out of my pocket? I hit the other driver going around 40MPH and all the airbags went off.

View attachment 847948
1. Determination of a "total" is NOT going to happen from this one photograph and internet warrior reviews, but from a careful evaluation of the vehicle by a Tesla or Tesla-authorized body shop. Yours LOOKS like it could go either way because it's expensive and new; see below.

2. IF repair is attempted, they have nearly six-figures to spend, all to get you a "mostly rebuilt, but not at the factory" MS some many months from now. If you don't know what a "Diminished Value" claim is, you had better get smart on that ASAP as it MAY/should skew the rebuild/replace decision in a helpful manner--towards a "total" declaration. BE SURE ALL INVOLVED INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE MADE AWARE THAT YOU INTEND TO MAKE A "Diminished Value" CLAIM. AND: this repair will take months. You will expect to be reimbursed for an equivalent level vehicle for all those months, at a very, very high cost, and that will be added to the total claim (that's likely another 5-figure add).

3. Be sure to use EV-TSLA.COM for various used comps from Tesla itself; it's an incredibly useful website:)

4. I have only one "total" in our insurance history, and USAA provided the FULL reimbursement for all taxes paid on the car. But this was in 2014 from a flooded MS and it was in Texas. Perhaps your state is different, but I would assume that to be made "whole" the insurance company needs to pay you for the friggin' taxes you paid, no? I hope others chime in from your state with more info on this as it's a rather large, 5-figure issue.

5. Please keep us all posted on how this all develops and ends up when done. Yours is an interesting case because of the valuation of your car, the peculiar/high value used car market, and the possible delays in securing a new car. (That said, for the first time in ages there are now a few inventory MS LR's available; a shocker.)

6. Your silver lining: the timing should provide you a 2023 Model Year MS in a few months perhaps.

• Informative
On my totaled car, insurance repayment included pro-rated reimbursement for the taxes and registration paid for this year. As others have said, unless you have new car replacement insurance, you will get the value of the car as a used vehicle.

• Informative
1. Determination of a "total" is NOT going to happen from this one photograph and internet warrior reviews, but from a careful evaluation of the vehicle by a Tesla or Tesla-authorized body shop. Yours LOOKS like it could go either way because it's expensive and new; see below.

2. IF repair is attempted, they have nearly six-figures to spend, all to get you a "mostly rebuilt, but not at the factory" MS some many months from now. If you don't know what a "Diminished Value" claim is, you had better get smart on that ASAP as it MAY/should skew the rebuild/replace decision in a helpful manner--towards a "total" declaration. BE SURE ALL INVOLVED INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE MADE AWARE THAT YOU INTEND TO MAKE A "Diminished Value" CLAIM. AND: this repair will take months. You will expect to be reimbursed for an equivalent level vehicle for all those months, at a very, very high cost, and that will be added to the total claim (that's likely another 5-figure add).

3. Be sure to use EV-TSLA.COM for various used comps from Tesla itself; it's an incredibly useful website:)

4. I have only one "total" in our insurance history, and USAA provided the FULL reimbursement for all taxes paid on the car. But this was in 2014 from a flooded MS and it was in Texas. Perhaps your state is different, but I would assume that to be made "whole" the insurance company needs to pay you for the friggin' taxes you paid, no? I hope others chime in from your state with more info on this as it's a rather large, 5-figure issue.

5. Please keep us all posted on how this all develops and ends up when done. Yours is an interesting case because of the valuation of your car, the peculiar/high value used car market, and the possible delays in securing a new car. (That said, for the first time in ages there are now a few inventory MS LR's available; a shocker.)

6. Your silver lining: the timing should provide you a 2023 Model Year MS in a few months perhaps.
It has been almost 48 hours and I still don't have a police report plus Tesla hasn't contacted me about the claim I filed. It was obvious who was at fault so I don't know why it's taking so long to get the report. I actually used ev-cpo.com to get me first Tesla 5 years ago this month. Which I just realized was the same month I totaled my $4K car.

I have to put my 2 more cents in. If they don't total it, and it will likely take a long time to repair, discuss with them to pay you off and turn title over to them so you can proceed with whatever you decide to do. They will likely do this, and the title will not be salvage. Otherwise, they will need to provide you with transportation until it is fixed.

I have to put my 2 more cents in. If they don't total it, and it will likely take a long time to repair, discuss with them to pay you off and turn title over to them so you can proceed with whatever you decide to do. They will likely do this, and the title will not be salvage. Otherwise, they will need to provide you with transportation until it is fixed.
I just want them to total it. I think I'll just keep the money and take delivery of the Model X I have on order.

Front impact and airbag deployment does NOT guarantee a total loss (as I learned and documented at Collision, Repair and DV/LoU Lawsuit: My Nearly 500 Days of Fun ). Your damages are more severe than I suffered, but your vehicle also has a higher ACV and accordingly higher total loss threshold.

A couple of quick notes from my experience that align with other comments here...
...check if your state has statutes or case law precedent on Loss of Use and Diminished Value (if the other insurance company has accepted 100% or majority fault).
...if repaired, expect months without a vehicle.
...payment of sales taxes depend on the state. Few states allow for recovery of sales tax on the ACV of a totaled vehicle.

Good luck.

• Informative