Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two months after my Model Y - My thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with you on the benefits. On the disadvantages, absolutely agree on road noise, though through a number of modifications I've made it much more livable. (Thicker cargo mat, cargo shelf, vinyl tubing inside hatch weatherstripping, adjusting hatch stops, reducing tire pressure. I have 19" Geminis.)

I added a sunroof shade with a reflective top, seems to work very well so far to keep the cabin cool. I'll put it to the test next week with a 1500-mile drive through 90+ degree heat (Los Angeles to Ashland, OR and back.) Silly question, but is the AC still too weak when you use Recirculate? Elon claimed in a tweet that it's not necessary, but in 100 degree temps it surely is.

$1850 insurance for six months seems ridiculous; I pay ~$550 for six months with State Farm. (2022 MYLR; took delivery around the same time as you.) Did you mean 12 months?

I don't mind the stiff drive, and the seats haven't bothered me so far, but next week will be the acid test. And I agree that the UI has some pretty abysmal aspects. No other significant gripes so far, though I'm sure more will develop.
I have a 2021 MS Plaid and pay less than $500/6 months with Progressive. Good coverage too, not the bare bones.

Sunroof shade here, there are many similar ones: Amazon.com

I've been with State Farm for several years, so probably a few stacked discounts, and I have a clean driving record. I do have an agent there, but I don't think it matters much?
Been driving for 26yrs now, and I have found two things to be true, relative to auto insurance: 1) Insurance companies are NOT loyal to their customers, so DO NOT be loyal to them! 2) When it comes to auto insurance, you generally get what you pay for (meaning that the idea is NOT to find the cheapest rates humanly possible, but rather you should seek out the company that is highest rated by customers and has the best reputation, and then try to get the best rate you can from them).

I switched away from Allstate (MAJOR issues, including a local agent that screwed me time and time again) to Country Financial. Had never heard of them before, but they are one of those really old companies (119yrs old, I think) that does business in only about 29 states. They are VERY highly rated. I switched over ALL of my policies with them, and my rates went up just a little. I just paid $687 for 6mos at renewal this month (for his/her @ 3 vehicles), and my CF insurance agent said the cost to insure a 2022 TESLA Model Y will be about $580 for 6mos. I wish TESLA Insurance was available in my state, but not yet!

We've had our MY LR7 for two months now and it's got 1100 miles. So far we're averaging 278 Wh/mi, which is higher consumption than I would expect, but I think part of it is because for the first month our temps here were over 100° every day.

Love the acceleration and handling. Hate the ride, even at 38 psi. The suspension totally lacks compliance. Even small impacts are felt as sharp jolts in the vehicle. I'm used to driving German sports cars and sports sedans, and the MY's suspension is not well engineered IMO. The good handling basically comes from the fact that the battery pack keeps the center of gravity low, not so much because of the suspension tuning. Also the suspension is very noisy - meaning despite the fact that the tires have the foam glued to their insides, there's a lot of rumble that comes through to the interior cabin.

Quality wise, despite the fact that folks say the 2022s are much improved, IMO the quality still sucks. The rear hatch was misaligned at delivery. Despite it being in service for 3 days, the hatch is still misaligned. Last Friday, my kids were stranded because we couldn't use the car to drive them home from their basketball game, as the second row driver's side seat would not latch to the floor. Also the trim on the right side of that same seat is coming off. I've got the mobile ranger coming out to the house tomorrow, but others have told me that they've had a similar problem and it's the seat motor, which will iterally take at least a couple of months to get. If that's so, then the car is useless to us, since we use it to transport our kids daily.

Steering wheel was crooked from the factory. Even after an alignment it remains very slightly off center.

Lack of CarPlay is a big demerit. Tesla's interaction with our iPhone messaging is abysmal as compared with CarPlay. Otherwise the navigation seems fine, especially with the latest update offering alternative routing. Love the media options while parked and waiting for the wife to finish her shopping. Unfortunately I've not been able to log into my free Spotify account.

As a middle-of-2022 build, the car lacks the data cable and data connection to the middle console USB C ports. While it was at Tesla service, I inquired if they could retrofit the part. The answer came back as no. I guess I will go to Tparts and buy the data card myself and a data cable.

Reactions: beemboy