Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two months after my Model Y - My thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been two months since I took my Y delivery and drove 5000 plus miles. I frequently commute from Sacramento to SanFrancisco.

The benefits:
1- Gas, Gas, and Gas saving
2- Autopilot
3- Everynight the car is plugged to charge and readily available the next day morning for a ride
4- Supercharger network (at least in SFO, Bay area, Sacto, and nearby areas)

The Disadvantages:
1- Stiff drive - it makes me so tired on both highway and the local roads (on a side note - I sleep well because of the stiff ride)
2- Insurance is higher (nationwide with his/her thru a local agent $1850 for six months, with multiple car discount, a good driver for past 10 years)
3- Seats are not comfortable (front and back)
4- AC sucks at 90-100 Degree farienheights
5- Road noise
6- Cabin temp alert even with sunroof shade
7- All accessories are expensive just because Tesla
8- Steering wheel - not comfortable (just my personal preference) should be better for the price we pay
9- User display - font size is not user-friendly (when you are at 40+)
10- Internet connectivity (provided by tesla) sucks
11- No easy way to open the passenger-side doors unless you put them in park mode
12- Windshield wiper fluid splashes all over the side of the car (not a big deal, but is it a design flaw?)
13- Inside lights are not sufficient (low lights- I'm using flashlights)
14- The doors need to shut hard, or else they will not close (Imagine you sit inside and the passenger shuts the door and you have a pounding feeling in your head)
15- S/w updates changes our previous personalized settings. I had two updates and every time the charger setting is changed (scheduled to departure)

These are all I can think of now.

If anyone changed their suspension to MPP or other Coilover can you guys recommend is it really worth spending the money on? Because I see mixed reviews. Few said not much difference and few said felt OK.

Reactions: Ben W
It's been two months since I took my Y delivery and drove 5000 plus miles. I frequently commute from Sacramento to SanFrancisco.

The benefits:
2- Autopilot
3- Everynight the car is plugged to charge and readily available the next day morning for a ride

The Disadvantages:
1- Stiff drive - it makes me so tired on both highway and the local roads (on a side note - I sleep well because of the stiff ride)
2- Insurance is higher (nationwide with his/her thru a local agent $1850 for six months, with multiple car discount, a good driver for past 10 years)
5- Road noise
8- Steering wheel - not comfortable (just my personal preference) should be better for the price we pay
11- No easy way to open the passenger-side doors unless you put them in park mode
12- Windshield wiper fluid splashes all over the side of the car (not a big deal, but is it a design flaw?)
14- The doors need to shut hard, or else they will not close (Imagine you sit inside and the passenger shuts the door and you have a pounding feeling in your head)
15- S/w updates changes our previous personalized settings. I had two updates and every time the charger setting is changed (scheduled to departure)

If anyone changed their suspension to MPP or other Coilover can you guys recommend is it really worth spending the money on? Because I see mixed reviews. Few said not much difference and few said felt OK.

My 2022. Model y has about 5,500 miles.

My model y performance ride is very nice. A tad stiff the first 4,000 miles but mellowed. Not sure if it was tires and or suspension. Butbride stiffness and softness is very subjective. I thought my previous car, 2013 volt was great and my MYP horrid at first. But now when I drive my volt I hate it as it is bouncy as feels like a boat.

My insurance decreased when switching from 2013 volt to 2022 model y performance. 🤷‍♂️ . I had no accidents or tickets which might have been removed from my history. I use GEICO , don’t love ‘em but that’s what I use.

I think the front seats are very comfy. No complaints from wife and friends. The teen kids like the back seats. I wish they had cooling though so my back doesn’t get warm.

I’m all for less noise in the car. One of my rear headrests wobbles and squeaks. I’ll have to ficus that. Road noise, hmmm not much worse than my Chevy volt which had smaller wheels with more sidewall. I do have a performance model y with low profile 21” wheels so it is bound to pick up road noise. That being said, when I ask my pals for honest opinion they all say it is pretty quiet compared to their gas cars, Chevy bolt, Chevy volt (ev mode). I think MYP is quieter than wife’s Prius. Family doesn’t say car is loud. That being said, I am all for less noise.

Yes I find the internet speed kinda slow. I hear AT&T throttles teslas. Perhaps part of the deal the companies reached.

My doors close easily no excessive force needed. schedule a mobile repair session.

Yes interior lights are very weak.

Reactions: cusetownusa
The Disadvantages:

$1850 for 6 months is crazy high! U meant 12 months?

have u try checking tesla insurance? Or StateFarm.

im from south SF. tesla insurance charging me $800 for 6 months While StateFarm was $850.

$1850 for 6 months is crazy high! U meant 12 months?

have u try checking tesla insurance? Or StateFarm.

im from south SF. tesla insurance charging me $800 for 6 months While StateFarm was $850.
I’m paying $550/6 months through Progressive for my MY LR, and I’ve had 2 claims in the past 4 years (deer strike and backed into a utility pole). The deer strike was on a Model 3, and the utility pole hit was on a 2017 CR-V. Those incidents happened when I was living in western New York, but the new rate is based on me living in Asheville, NC

The AC in our 2020 with the new High-Pressure Sensors is as good as ANY car I have owned. We just returned from a road trip and saw temp reach 100F with HORRIBLE humidity. We set HVAC to AUTO at 72F and my wife was complaining it was COLD.

You can lower the tire pressure to 38 psi and even as low as 36 psi to tune the ride. The 42 psi is a Tesla recommendation.

Went to inspect a brand new LR Y for my buddy yesterday.

First thing we saw , a door ding so my buddy refused the delivery.

guess what, since he waited a year for the car, locked in the price a year ago, Tesla told him if he don’t accept, his order is cancel! This is his first VIN too.

WTF! My buddy accepted the car and deal with putting in a service call and hope for the best. 🤦‍♂️

and there was some paint issue too. And someone adjusted the passenger door, u can tell by looking at the door hinge.

The benefits:
2- Autopilot

The Disadvantages:
5- Road noise

I'm with you on the benefits. On the disadvantages, absolutely agree on road noise, though through a number of modifications I've made it much more livable. (Thicker cargo mat, cargo shelf, vinyl tubing inside hatch weatherstripping, adjusting hatch stops, reducing tire pressure. I have 19" Geminis.)

I added a sunroof shade with a reflective top, seems to work very well so far to keep the cabin cool. I'll put it to the test next week with a 1500-mile drive through 90+ degree heat (Los Angeles to Ashland, OR and back.) Silly question, but is the AC still too weak when you use Recirculate? Elon claimed in a tweet that it's not necessary, but in 100 degree temps it surely is.

$1850 insurance for six months seems ridiculous; I pay ~$550 for six months with State Farm. (2022 MYLR; took delivery around the same time as you.) Did you mean 12 months?

I don't mind the stiff drive, and the seats haven't bothered me so far, but next week will be the acid test. And I agree that the UI has some pretty abysmal aspects. No other significant gripes so far, though I'm sure more will develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
For your AC issue, try manually setting the fan speed. On my MYP I’ve noticed that it tends to set the fan too low and I get hot. I just use the voice commands to bump up the fan a few notches and soon the car cools right off.

Same here. I do have the Hansshow display blocking a bit of the driver side air flow though... to compensate I turn on the passenger side air if the weather is hot and sunny.

Keith

I added a sunroof shade with a reflective top, seems to work very well so far to keep the cabin cool.

$1850 insurance for six months seems ridiculous; I pay ~$550 for six months with State Farm. (2022 MYLR; took delivery around the same time as you.) Did you mean 12 months?
Thanks, Ben, can you share the link for the sunroof shade? also, did you go with an agent for State Farm or an online quote

Thanks, Ben, can you share the link for the sunroof shade? also, did you go with an agent for State Farm or an online quote
Sunroof shade here, there are many similar ones: Amazon.com

I've been with State Farm for several years, so probably a few stacked discounts, and I have a clean driving record. I do have an agent there, but I don't think it matters much?

Reactions: beemboy
can you share the link for the sunroof shade?
This is the one I use. (Use TES10 promo code for 10% off).

They also have a 30% off July 4th sale today for some things

Reactions: Ben W and beemboy
I upgraded from '18 M3 to PY 900 miles ago... much quieter and better ride, but doesn't corner as nice as my M3. I miss that.

No problem with fonts (I'm 67), Tesla seats are fantastic, but wish my passenger still had adjustable lumbar.

I'm finding the fan doesn't run fast enough in the summer so I set the fan speed to 6 or 7, which helps. Too many pluses, I'd upgrade again.

The benefits:
2- Autopilot

The Disadvantages:
5- Road noise

The MY has a stiff, harsh ride. you'll get a lot of people here disputing that, but if you look at the number of posts complaining about it it's hard to dispute (unless you're a total fanboy. But we don't have any of those here!) Check your tire inflation and try dropping it to 38 PSI to see if that helps.

Seats and insurance - can't help there. Seat comfort is a preference thing. Most find them comfortable but your butt may not. I assume you've shopped around for insurance?

AC - Tesla has had some issues with it's compressors/heat pumps. I had mine replaced several months ago and it's much better now. In general the AC works quite well so you might want to open a service ticket to check on it. you can also use a thermometer to check the temperature difference between the outside air and cooled air to get an idea of how well the system is working.

Passenger doors - do you mean unlocking them or physically opening them? You can unlock them by tapping the lock icon on the screen.

Doors shutting hard - I haven't noticed that being an issue with mine compared to other cars. It may be that the doors need to be adjusted.

@Pianewman has MPP coilovers on his(?) car and started a thread on MPP coilover settings. He can comment on how much benefit they give. It's really hard to objectively describe something that's intrinsically subjective, though.

Last edited: