Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two New Destination Chargers in Northeast MN!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must have the settings wrong on Plugshare. Adventure Inn is there and so is Bearskin Lodge on the Gunflint Trail. In my opinion, the Gunflint is the best, my recommendation is Bearskin if you're going to be in the Grand Marais area.
I see Bearskin (and Naniboujou). All I see in Grand Marais is the campground 14-50 (114 South 8th Avenue West, Grand Marais, MN, 55604). Then nothing else going south until Grand Superior.

From Duluth to Lutsen is only 92 miles. I am going to Caribou Highlands very soon too, I'm just going to look for a 110v outlet, I'll be there 3 days, should net about 50 miles per day (I won't be plugged in the whole time and will drive some). I am not worried about it at all. If I need 50 amps, I can get it in Grand Marais, or even more at Bearskin. I plan on driving the Gunflint, or part of it, the Fall colors should be amazing and there is no better place to see the color than the Gunflint Trail.

I can always stop at Grand Superior for some charge on the way back to the Duluth Supercharger if need be also.

I can always stop at Grand Superior for some charge on the way back to the Duluth Supercharger if need be also.
I may give that a try. Fill up in Duluth and then top up at Grand Superior over dinner and maybe get enough that with the 15a 120v at Caribou we can make it. Hopefully the HPWC is working and doesn't have any mud in it. Do you know what the charge rate is?

I talked with Lutsen Resort. She said the charger (not sure what kind but she thought Tesla) has been installed on a post for a couple of months but hasn't yet been connected. Also, there is nothing I can do to get Adventure Inn to show up in Grand Marais on plugshare. I've turned everything on and various combinations but nothing.

Last edited:
Look what I found!
image.jpg

These babies are at Lutsen Resort but are not live. The conduit is already run, there is a breaker box on the back side. No idea when they will be live but wow Tesla and/or Lutsen Resort is not messing around. The Clipper Creeks are 32 amp output.....let's hope those HPWCs are at 80 when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought you guys should know too that Caribou Highlands has dedicated parking spots for the townhouses, and they have engine block heaters that are switched from a light switch inside each townhouse unit. My is a 5-15, with a 20 amp breaker and AWG 12 wire, but some are 5-20. It seems like all have the capacity for 20 amps but some got 5-15s.
Anyway, the potential to rig an adapter is there or a 5-20 might just be available. 5-20 should be plenty for a couple day trip.

Good for Lutsen Resort. Um, why are they all clumped together? Wouldn't it be better if they were spread out, say, one per parking spot?
Parking can get pretty tight there. I'm guessing that they're doing this as a bit of a trial with only 2 spaces at risk. If it goes well and they get complaints from EV folks that there's not enough space I'd guess they'll spread them out. The cost to do that shouldn't be terrible if they have the amperage at that post.

Also, the cables are also pretty long (25' on the HPWC) so might be able to stretch to cover 4 cars as is. I think a parking space is usually only 9' wide.

I noticed that Lutsen Resort indicates the 4 chargers are now live, as of 10/2/2015, on their Facebook page. They are not on Plugshare or the Tesla, "Find Us" page. You can see the little green lights on on the HPWC's, so they must be in service.....I don't know why they are not listed.
Anyway...FYI.

Larsmont Cottages reports on their FB page that their charges are now live! The post says they are in three separate locations on the property, not much more than that.

"Pull up and plug in during your stay!
Larsmont Cottages now offers electric vehicle charging capability! We have both Tesla brand and a universal charge station for your convenience at 3 locations on our property.
Thank you for choosing an Earth friendly method of transportation!"

Larsmont Cottages reports on their FB page that their charges are now live! The post says they are in three separate locations on the property, not much more than that.

"Pull up and plug in during your stay!
Larsmont Cottages now offers electric vehicle charging capability! We have both Tesla brand and a universal charge station for your convenience at 3 locations on our property.
Thank you for choosing an Earth friendly method of transportation!"

Are these open to the public or restricted to just guests?

I've made a few BWCA trips in my S to Ely thanks to the HPWC at Adventure Inn.

I bet some of the Gunflint Trail outfitters would let you plug in to a 110 for a small fee, you'd be full by the end of the trip, or spend a night at the GM camprground or Bearskin on the way up. Maybe there will be plugs at entry points some day.