Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two new features none of us know about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think a refrigerator is the best example. Modern refrigerators use surprisingly little power. Mine uses like 50 watts...but I know where you are going. I would definitely like to be able to use the battery to power home devices in emergencies. I don't think they will allow that any time soon since supercharging is free.
You're right, refrigerators use very little energy, but I think that's average. It's probably more like 500 watts 10% of the time, as the compressor starts and stops.

If there were a AC outlet, it would be limited due to the size of the DC to AC converter. It isn't the size of the battery, but the hardware to convert the DC power to 50-60 cycle AC to run a small appliance. Running your 200Amp house requires a rather LARGE converter, as would at 500 KW refrigerator.

Yes but why limit to 200W? I think the utility and marketing value of being able to use your Model X to run your refrigerator in a power outage or at a campsite etc is worth this upgrade. After all, it's kind of like a power wall with wheels!

deonb, that would be a great feature imho !

As to why it has to be limited, there are multiple arguments to be made.
1) Cost. Inverters aren't cheap. (And the more power you need, the higher the cost, obviously.) 2500W inverters working off 12V cost something like 1400€ around here (retail). Tesla would be working off 400VDC; I can't say if it is easier to design an inverter to work from 400VDC or 12VDC.
2) They would have to design two versions, 120V/60Hz and 220V/50Hz for different markets * multiple different sockets.
3) Power electronics get hot; you need to be able to evacuate the heat somehow. With a higher power rating, you've got more heat to evacuate. (I've known a car where the inverter would shut itself down after half an hour from overheating at 75% of it's rated load !)
4) Realistically, most people will only use them to recharge laptop batteries for themselves or the kids in the back seat. No need for more than 120W here.
5) Then there's the whole stealing electricity from superchargers issue that can be greatly limited with a low power rating of the inverter.

I can understand the need of a high power inverter in a work truck (like VIA is doing.) But I doubt a high power inverter is an economically feasible option for Tesla's market.

[Edit :] Well, it seems I type quite slowly ! MorrisonHiker, Yggdrasill, and Aljohn all posted before me ! :)

Rumour has it that the large windscreen and subsequent extra strong B and roof pillar is because it is going to be a convertible, so needs the extra strength up top to help with a rollover.

Lowly Leaf has 360 degree camera view as an option right from 2013 model.

And you guys are saying it will be an amazing surprising innovative beat-the-pants-off addition in X ?

Pretty cool about the Leaf.

I don't recall reading where anyone said the features would be "beat-the-pants-off".

(Android devices frequently have features for years before the iPhones but I still prefer my iPhone for other reasons.)

Yes but why limit to 200W? I think the utility and marketing value of being able to use your Model X to run your refrigerator in a power outage or at a campsite etc is worth this upgrade. After all, it's kind of like a power wall with wheels!

I didn't mean it as saying they shouldn't do more than 200W, but just that Tesla has a long history of creating features that are almost great but have one or two serious and simple shortcoming that prevent it from being really usable.

I'd buy a Model X tomorrow if it could double as a portable power wall.

1. Each cup-holder will come with a water pump linked to a system directly adapted from the Space Station, thanks to a partnership between Tesla, SpaceX and NASA. The Water Recycling System will reclaim waste waters from urine, oral hygiene and hand washing, and by condensing humidity from the air.
2. Next to Ludicrous, a Mars mode can be selected that turns the Model X into a training ground for people who want to test life on Mars. Basically, at first, it will merely be impossible to exit the car for one year; your car needs to be plugged into your garage charger to activate this mode. The driver's window will be lowered 5 inches once a week for 10 minutes to allow your family to transfer food. Thanks to a software update available when it is finally ready, communication with a bot simulating a NASA space mission engineer will be offered for free, with a real-life, Tesla exclusive, ten-minute delay. Successful Model X astronauts will be offered a "Drink pee ! A small sip for a man, a giant leap for a Martian" t-shirt, and a 10% discount on future SpaceX public missions to Mars, starting in summer to late 2018 +/- 80 years.

even the Prius had that as an option in 2010 .... half decade ago. I'd hate to think of that as special on the X.
:biggrin:

We happen to own a 2010 Prius with LED light. There is really nothing special I never noticed any difference with previous gen HID. Elon said he he wants to lead not follow. Any new features should be just that, new features.