Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two new HPWC amperage configuration question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had two HPWC professionally installed on a single 100A circuit (see photo) in my garage. The electrician set the master unit to a maximum output current of 40A (rotary switch position 8). In this setting, it was only able to charge a single updated MS at 40A rather than 48A. Would it be safe to advance the rotary switch to 48A (position 9) or no? I understand that it is only safe to use only 80% of the 100A circuit (40A x 2) but I wonder if the load sharing smarts of the new HPWC is smart enough to keep things in check in the higher position.

IMG_2446.jpeg

The difference in charging speed that the 8 amps will give you is insignificant from a practical point of view. I'd not bother with it. I also wouldn't count on it to adjust for an incorrect setting.

Not really if you will be charging both cars at the same time. 88 amps will often trip a breaker after a couple of hours. Time at high charge rates heat up the breaker causing false trips. Hence the 80% rule for sustained loads. If the overlap is less than an hour you can likely do it.

If these are the new, load sharing connectors, then the master can be set for the full 80A and the other set to position F for shared operation. Then you'll get whatever you need, up to 80A on either connector, limited to a total of 80A for safety. See appendix B in https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

Yes and that's what I thought at first, however the manual is confusing since in appendix B (page 29) it states that the maximum setting of the master for load sharing is position 8 [40A]. Can you or someone else clarify?
  1. Set one Wall Connector as the master by setting the Rotary Switch Position from 1 to 8 depending on the maximum available output current. Set up to 3 Wall Connectors as slaves by setting the Rotary Switch Positions to F.

Yes and that's what I thought at first, however the manual is confusing since in appendix B (page 29) it states that the maximum setting of the master for load sharing is position 8 [40A]. Can you or someone else clarify?
  1. Set one Wall Connector as the master by setting the Rotary Switch Position from 1 to 8 depending on the maximum available output current. Set up to 3 Wall Connectors as slaves by setting the Rotary Switch Positions to F.
I reported this as a issue a number of weeks ago and Flasher Z asked the factory and they confirmed it was a mistake in the manual.

Dial them both up.

I assume you have #2 or #3 wires to each unit from that junction box?

I reported this as a issue a number of weeks ago and Flasher Z asked the factory and they confirmed it was a mistake in the manual.

Dial them both up.

I assume you have #2 or #3 wires to each unit from that junction box?

Thanks! I was hoping it was a mistake in the manual. Do you have a link to a previous thread that you and Flasher Z discussed it?

The part I don't see specifically spelled out is: Were they installed with the twisted pair interconnect for them to communicate as master/slave? It looks like there is a light gray conduit running between them that might be it. If they were set up properly with that communication, then you can turn them both up to the full level (80A output). They will coordinate to make sure the total of the two together stays within that 80A limit. That is the purpose of the new interconnected system, so that if either one is used, it can get the full rate of the circuit, but if they are both connected they will reduce their levels.

The difference in charging speed that the 8 amps will give you is insignificant from a practical point of view. I'd not bother with it. I also wouldn't count on it to adjust for an incorrect setting.
I currently have an HPWC (new version) installed for Model S (72amp onboard Charger) on a 100 amp circuit (sub-panel)
Ran Conduit & prewired for power to the 2nd Charger from the sub panel. Have a Model 3 on order for delivery in April.
Purchased the 2nd HPWC to install next week.
Looks like I need to run signal conduit too.
In your setup, what type of wire do you have in the 1/2” conduit between the 2 HPWCs?
The manual says “twisted pair” with no mention of gauge.

Excerpt from installation manual:

The signal wires between each Wall Connector should run in signal conduit. Use a 1/2" (13 mm) UL approved conduit hub to seal the signal conduit opening.
• If the signal wire is routed in the power conduit with the power wires, the insulation rating of the signal wire should be equal to or greater than that of the power wires.
• The maximum distance between Wall Connectors is 49 ft (15 m).
• Use twisted pair cable for the signal wire.