TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two new L2 charger locations in LA area (not Tesla), Black&Veatch construction

Discussion in 'California' started by Commuter, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Commuter

Commuter Member

Found a couple of new permits issued in LA County
    One was issued on 10/3/17 for 12257 Heritage Springs Rd (Santa Fe Springs?) for a 12 station charger.
    Another was issued on 9/14/17 for 21840 Normandie Avenue (Torrance) for a 24 station charger.
    Contractor for both of these is Black and Veatch Construction -- they have partnered with Tesla on supercharger construction in the past.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  2. d21mike

d21mike Member

The one you have for Torrance is pretty interesting to me in Torrance. The new one they have on the map for 2017 is near Beryl in Redondo Beach which is pretty close to me. The 21840 Normandie Ave Address is near Carson Street where UCLA Harbor Hospital is. And not that far from the 110 Freeway. But it is also not listed on the supercharge.info web site on on the Tesla Map. But, 24 Stations would be really nice since the one on Marine only has 8 and is pretty much always full when I have driven by.

3. bakerboy

bakerboy Member

That's an interesting area in Santa Fe Springs, seems to be around condos, maybe this will be some of the "new" urban chargers as opposed to being a Supercharger.

4. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Two new supercharges found in one post! Impressive. @BlueShift

That's because you quoted the first known find of this. Supercharge.info relies on us to report to him, unless he finds them himself first ;)

5. d21mike

d21mike Member

Nice....

6. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

#6 emupilot, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Did you find these through the LA County DPW permit lookup system or some other way? Can you provide links or a screen dump so we can see details?

7. Commuter

Commuter Member

#7 Commuter, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    I found it using that LA County DPW permit lookup system. If you click on the download permit data link found on that site you linked above and then click on the links for the permits issued in certain weeks you can see what I saw. Might need to control F to search because the files are somewhat large.

Also, I put this in the location speculation thread because you never know, but it looks legit to me.

• Helpful x 1
  8. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Here is the one at 21840 Normandie Avenue:
    Here is the one for 12257 Heritage Springs Drive:
    In spite of the large even number of charging stations and Black & Veatch reference, the locations at a medical campus (where people park all day) and an apartment complex (where people park all night) and no specific mention of Tesla in the permits leads me to believe that these would be level 2 chargers. If anyone is passing by, though, please check it out and report back.

9. Commuter

Commuter Member

Yep. The sheer number of stations and contractor relationship is what stood out to me. Locations do seem a bit odd though. Time will tell.

10. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Does anybody live near either of these locations? The permit for Normandie was issued over 6 week’s ago. Maybe there is some activity there.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Those permits are almost certainly not for Tesla Superchargers. One address is for UCLA/Harbor Medical Center, the other is in a large apartment complex.

• Like x 2
  12. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I am hoping you are wrong, hence the emphasis on "almost." Black and Veatch is a pretty large company for doing just L2's, but given the quantity of them, maybe that fits.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

But it could very well fit in to Tesla new Urban Supercharger platform. (We have already seen that one location had 4 Urban Superchargers installed for their valet service to use.)

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The two locations being discussed — a large public hospital and a large apartment complex — seem an unlikely site for any kind of Supercharger, urban or otherwise. But I could be wrong...

15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I would think that an apartment complex is exactly the kind of place that the Urban Superchargers are designed to be put. But given the valuation on the permits I don't know. It works out to ~$8k/~$10k per charging station. which seems cheap for Superchargers and expensive for normal L2 chargers.

16. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Apartment complexes are where you put an array of L2 chargers, not superchargers. Urban superchargers would be in a shopping mall surrounded by apartment complexes.

• Like x 2
  17. d21mike

d21mike Member

I decided to drive over to the Torrance Location at the UCLA Harbor Hospital. Pretty sure I found the location where chargers were being install and it was not Tesla. I will attached all of the pictures. Maybe someone else can explain what is going in there.

Attached Files:

18. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Dude, you've created a fun picture mystery here :)

Elementary my dear Watson, it is obviously a level 2 charging area. The EVSEs themselves haven't been installed yet. I suspect the grey boxes on the metal posts are temporary until the EVSEs are mounted.

But other speculation is welcome!

19. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

How about first VW Electrify America installation. Their last information was posted in August that they hired a company to do site selection.

Second guess would be SCE program where they install everything except the actual EVSE. The missing chargers might be a clue, though those would go in last no matter who is building the site.

Third guess is the Caltech guys doing this, though that seems less likely. I seem to remember something about them possibly partnering with SCE...

RT

20. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

#20 RubberToe, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Image #1011 lower right says "SCE Charge Ready". So not Tesla, but very exciting none the less.

Charge Ready | Electric Vehicles | Your Business | Home - SCE

RT