Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two new L2 charger locations in LA area (not Tesla), Black&Veatch construction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a couple of new permits issued in LA County
One was issued on 10/3/17 for 12257 Heritage Springs Rd (Santa Fe Springs?) for a 12 station charger.
Another was issued on 9/14/17 for 21840 Normandie Avenue (Torrance) for a 24 station charger.
Contractor for both of these is Black and Veatch Construction -- they have partnered with Tesla on supercharger construction in the past.

One was issued on 10/3/17 for 12257 Heritage Springs Rd (Santa Fe Springs?) for a 12 station charger.
Another was issued on 9/14/17 for 21840 Normandie Avenue (Torrance) for a 24 station charger.
Contractor for both of these is Black and Veatch Construction -- they have partnered with Tesla on supercharger construction in the past.
The one you have for Torrance is pretty interesting to me in Torrance. The new one they have on the map for 2017 is near Beryl in Redondo Beach which is pretty close to me. The 21840 Normandie Ave Address is near Carson Street where UCLA Harbor Hospital is. And not that far from the 110 Freeway. But it is also not listed on the supercharge.info web site on on the Tesla Map. But, 24 Stations would be really nice since the one on Marine only has 8 and is pretty much always full when I have driven by.

Two new supercharges found in one post! Impressive. @BlueShift

...But it is also not listed on the supercharge.info web site
That's because you quoted the first known find of this. Supercharge.info relies on us to report to him, unless he finds them himself first ;)

Did you find these through the LA County DPW permit lookup system or some other way? Can you provide links or a screen dump so we can see details?

Last edited:
Did you find these through the LA County DPW permit lookup system or the Torrance permit lookup or some other way? Could you provide links or screen dumps so we can see the details?
I found it using that LA County DPW permit lookup system. If you click on the download permit data link found on that site you linked above and then click on the links for the permits issued in certain weeks you can see what I saw. Might need to control F to search because the files are somewhat large.

Also, I put this in the location speculation thread because you never know, but it looks legit to me.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: emupilot
Here is the one at 21840 Normandie Avenue:
APPL ID: 1704270094 ISSUED DT: 09/14/17 TYPE: T.I. AREA SQ: 0004000
DWLNG UNITS: 0 STAT CLASS CD: 22 AIN: 7344001901
VALUATION: 195,940 ADDRESS: 21840 NORMANDIE AV S LOSA
WORK DESC: 24 ELECTRICAL VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS IN EXISTING PARKING
LOT, ADA AND MINOR SITE IMPROVEMNTS.
APPLICANT : LASHER JOHN
OWNER :
CONTRACTOR: BLACK AND VEATCH CONSTRUCTION
ENGINEER : BLAIR, CHURCH AND FLYNN

Here is the one for 12257 Heritage Springs Drive:
APPL ID: 1706290058 ISSUED DT: 10/03/17 TYPE: ALT/REP AREA SQ:
DWLNG UNITS: 0 STAT CLASS CD: 21 AIN:
VALUATION: 117,480 ADDRESS: 12257 HERITAGE SPRINGS DRSFSG
WORK DESC: THE INSTALLATION OF 12 ELECTRICAL VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS
WITH MINOR SITE IMPROVEMENTS IN THE EXISTING PARKING LOT
APPLICANT : ROBERT FRANCIS
OWNER :
CONTRACTOR: BLACK AND VEATCH CONSTRUCTION
ENGINEER :

In spite of the large even number of charging stations and Black & Veatch reference, the locations at a medical campus (where people park all day) and an apartment complex (where people park all night) and no specific mention of Tesla in the permits leads me to believe that these would be level 2 chargers. If anyone is passing by, though, please check it out and report back.

Here is the one at 21840 Normandie Avenue:

Here is the one for 12257 Heritage Springs Drive:

In spite of the large even number of charging stations and Black & Veatch reference, the locations at a medical campus (where people park all day) and an apartment complex (where people park all night) and no specific mention of Tesla in the permits leads me to believe that these would be level 2 chargers. If anyone is passing by, though, please check it out and report back.
Yep. The sheer number of stations and contractor relationship is what stood out to me. Locations do seem a bit odd though. Time will tell.

In spite of the large even number of charging stations and Black & Veatch reference, the locations at a medical campus (where people park all day) and an apartment complex (where people park all night) and no specific mention of Tesla in the permits leads me to believe that these would be level 2 chargers.
Agreed. Those permits are almost certainly not for Tesla Superchargers. One address is for UCLA/Harbor Medical Center, the other is in a large apartment complex.

Reactions: DDotJ and WalterB
Agreed. Those permits are almost certainly not for Tesla Superchargers. One address is for UCLA/Harbor Medical Center, the other is in a large apartment complex.

But it could very well fit in to Tesla new Urban Supercharger platform. (We have already seen that one location had 4 Urban Superchargers installed for their valet service to use.)

But it could very well fit in to Tesla new Urban Supercharger platform. (We have already seen that one location had 4 Urban Superchargers installed for their valet service to use.)
The two locations being discussed — a large public hospital and a large apartment complex — seem an unlikely site for any kind of Supercharger, urban or otherwise. But I could be wrong...

The two locations being discussed — a large public hospital and a large apartment complex — seem an unlikely site for any kind of Supercharger, urban or otherwise. But I could be wrong...

I would think that an apartment complex is exactly the kind of place that the Urban Superchargers are designed to be put. But given the valuation on the permits I don't know. It works out to ~$8k/~$10k per charging station. which seems cheap for Superchargers and expensive for normal L2 chargers.

I would think that an apartment complex is exactly the kind of place that the Urban Superchargers are designed to be put. But given the valuation on the permits I don't know. It works out to ~$8k/~$10k per charging station. which seems cheap for Superchargers and expensive for normal L2 chargers.

Apartment complexes are where you put an array of L2 chargers, not superchargers. Urban superchargers would be in a shopping mall surrounded by apartment complexes.

Reactions: TexasEV and Zoomit
I decided to drive over to the Torrance Location at the UCLA Harbor Hospital. Pretty sure I found the location where chargers were being install and it was not Tesla. I will attached all of the pictures. Maybe someone else can explain what is going in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    596 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    683.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    707.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    393.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    549.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 45
Dude, you've created a fun picture mystery here :)

Elementary my dear Watson, it is obviously a level 2 charging area. The EVSEs themselves haven't been installed yet. I suspect the grey boxes on the metal posts are temporary until the EVSEs are mounted.

But other speculation is welcome!

Dude, you've created a fun picture mystery here :)

Elementary my dear Watson, it is obviously a level 2 charging area. The EVSEs themselves haven't been installed yet. I suspect the grey boxes on the metal posts are temporary until the EVSEs are mounted.

But other speculation is welcome!

How about first VW Electrify America installation. Their last information was posted in August that they hired a company to do site selection.

Second guess would be SCE program where they install everything except the actual EVSE. The missing chargers might be a clue, though those would go in last no matter who is building the site.

Third guess is the Caltech guys doing this, though that seems less likely. I seem to remember something about them possibly partnering with SCE...

RT

Last edited: