Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two OTA Updates failed since 4/1/16 - anyone else have this problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Friday 4/1, two over the air updates have failed. It is the first time this has happened.
My current update is 7.1 (2.15.16). The updates downloaded normally, but the installations quit after about 10 minutes.

I brought the issue up with NASupport. After a few days, they recommended I bring the car back to a service center. It's 2 hours away, and a full day for a visit. I am hoping for a remote fix, if that's possible.

Has anyone had OTAs fail? Recently? How was it fixed?

Correction! 2.15.50 -- I installed mine on Saturday 4/9 but it downloaded several days earlier while the car was at the detailer getting XPEL and cQuartz. I see there is another update (2.16.17) in the firmware tracker but I haven't received that update in Merlin yet, could be just for Model S?

Our Model X has 2.16.17. Order of upgrade was 2.15.16 -> 2.15.50 -> 2.16.17.

Don't confuse 2.16.17 with 2.15.16 (which had the FWD door calibration problems).

We stopped getting software updates after our center touch screen was replaced. It was replaced with a re manufactured unit that was less than perfect. So every morning I had an error message stating something along the lines of "software update could not install, try again later."

Our local service center had to get engineers in Fremont to diagnose the problem. See if they can diagnose it remotely, then if it is hardware, it will take a visit to the service center.

We stopped getting software updates after our center touch screen was replaced. It was replaced with a re manufactured unit that was less than perfect. So every morning I had an error message stating something along the lines of "software update could not install, try again later."

Our local service center had to get engineers in Fremont to diagnose the problem. See if they can diagnose it remotely, then if it is hardware, it will take a visit to the service center.

Sounds like the Apple "Error 53" issue all over again.

I was unable to apply a firmware update when I had issues with my falcon wing door. The reason for failure, apparently, was that the car needs to communicate with the door modules in order to complete the upgrade. There's a note when upgrading firmware which tells you the doors must be closed in order to proceed. Could this be related? Having any trouble with the doors?

aesculus: No, it didn't install. My SC is sending a flatbed truck down (100 miles) to pick up my X at my home, drop off a loaner, and fix it in the SC next week. Very disappointed in a sense - I don't like letting my X out of my sight! But, I couldn't lose another day for service or spend 8 hours on the road.

aesculus: No, it didn't install. My SC is sending a flatbed truck down (100 miles) to pick up my X at my home, drop off a loaner, and fix it in the SC next week. Very disappointed in a sense - I don't like letting my X out of my sight! But, I couldn't lose another day for service or spend 8 hours on the road.
San Rafael will take good care of you. It's a great SC.