Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two phase x 40amp per phase, offer to my property. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to start a new build and requested an upgrade in service to the property. I live in Warrnambool, Vic.
I have today been offered the above service.

The house will be 'all electric'. viz., Daikin ducted A/C, Stiebel Eltron Hot Water Heat Pump, Tesla wall Charger, Electric oven and Induction cooktop, WM and dryer.

I intend to add as much PV solar as I can fit and include the possibility of Tesla Powerwall 2.

I am completely out of my depth with regard to electrical requirements. Can having 2 phase power enable a larger PV Inverter? Powercor has a stipulation of a maximum 5kW Inverter, but am I able to request a larger Inverter and maybe restrict export to 5kW, is that possible? I'm concerned about the low return of solar during long winter conditions. If for Instance, I went with a 6kW fronius Inverter, which I believe can support up to 9kW peak in panels, would that be possible?
Fronius Primo 6.0-1

Any help would be much appreciated.

I’m adding 3 powerwall to my 30kw of solar. I’m permitted 10kw export per phase as its 3 phase, however the solar and batteries combined can export way more than 30 kw. SAPN (sa’s equivalent of powercor and both owned by same company) are forcing a device on me that ensures my exports can never exceed 30kw, even though to my understanding the tesla gateway already does that.

You also might want to look at microinvertors instead of 1 invertor. They cost marginally more but the cabling is so much simpler, and they have more output than a traditional single invertor approach. There is lots of fluff online claiming they aren’t reliable, and in the 10 years I’ve been using them, I’ve never had a failure. In SA for example many have their invertor drop out due to grid voltage fluctuations. My system has one microinvertor drop out instead, leaving the other 109 on. With cabling during construction and the added efficiency of micro’s, my payback was under two years on solar.

The other little trick I use to ensure a decent size grid supply (and therefore better exporting) is to overstate your needs. Tell them your ac is larger. Maybe 3 or 4 tesla, that sort of thing. If 3 phase is available you will then get it.
But above all wire your house correctly for future solar, batteries, and backup. Its too hard later. Contemplate your backup circuit for when you have a battery.

Modern inverters are able to have their output limited by having a monitor connected to the "grid" connection. In this way they can operate up to their full capacity if some of the power is being used locally (in the house), but the output to the grid is limited to the specified maximum.
Be careful about the maximum number of solar panels able to be connected. This doesnt mean that the inverter can sometimes produce more power than it is rated for, all it means is that in less then ideal solar conditions (eg evening/morning/cloudy) you can get more power generated, however in full sun conditions the output is still limited to the inverters maximum. ie: 9kw panels connected to a 6kw inverter still limits the output to 6kw max.
A bit odd to be offering 2 phase, normally single phase or 3 phase.

Modern inverters are able to have their output limited by having a monitor connected to the "grid" connection. In this way they can operate up to their full capacity if some of the power is being used locally (in the house), but the output to the grid is limited to the specified maximum.
Be careful about the maximum number of solar panels able to be connected. This doesnt mean that the inverter can sometimes produce more power than it is rated for, all it means is that in less then ideal solar conditions (eg evening/morning/cloudy) you can get more power generated, however in full sun conditions the output is still limited to the inverters maximum. ie: 9kw panels connected to a 6kw inverter still limits the output to 6kw max.
A bit odd to be offering 2 phase, normally single phase or 3 phase.

Thanks everyone for you input. Much appreciated.
Shallowal, does that follow if it were an 8kW Inverter, with same panels, I would then max out at 8kW with 9kW of panels?

When it is low level sunshine, and still max export of 5kW to the grid.
Would they penalise me as the period of time I could export 5kW, theoretically would be longer.

I did outline to the Powercor Customer Requests Officer, the loads I would be requesting, and he arrived at the 2 phase option.

Thanks everyone for you input. Much appreciated.
Shallowal, does that follow if it were an 8kW Inverter, with same panels, I would then max out at 8kW with 9kW of panels?

When it is low level sunshine, and still max export of 5kW to the grid.
Would they penalise me as the period of time I could export 5kW, theoretically would be longer.

I did outline to the Powercor Customer Requests Officer, the loads I would be requesting, and he arrived at the 2 phase option.

Yes, you would max out at 8k AC with an 8k inverter

Yes, a 9kw array may well produce 5kw on a cloudy day or morning or afternoon and you would not get penalised for producing 5k for longer.

There are so many installation options it is best to talk to a solar professional. For instance I have 3 phase with 63A breakers on each phases at the house, 8.25kw of panels with DC optimisers and a 6kw inverter with DC batteries. At midday on a sunny day it can easily produce 8.25kw as long as 2.25 is going to the battery and 6kw out to The house/grid via the inverter as AC. I run off batteries all night and they are not set to charge until the sun is well up - as anything above 6kw can’t be used as AC but can be used to charge.

I'm about to start a new build and requested an upgrade in service to the property. I live in Warrnambool, Vic.
I have today been offered the above service.

The house will be 'all electric'. viz., Daikin ducted A/C, Stiebel Eltron Hot Water Heat Pump, Tesla wall Charger, Electric oven and Induction cooktop, WM and dryer.

I intend to add as much PV solar as I can fit and include the possibility of Tesla Powerwall 2.

I am completely out of my depth with regard to electrical requirements. Can having 2 phase power enable a larger PV Inverter? Powercor has a stipulation of a maximum 5kW Inverter, but am I able to request a larger Inverter and maybe restrict export to 5kW, is that possible? I'm concerned about the low return of solar during long winter conditions. If for Instance, I went with a 6kW fronius Inverter, which I believe can support up to 9kW peak in panels, would that be possible?
Fronius Primo 6.0-1

Any help would be much appreciated.
G’day Brewster, PM me. Have just had a W/bool sparkie do a HPWC & battery install. Rgds,

• Helpful
Reactions: brewster