Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two questions about trade in offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I currently have a trade in offer that is valid for 7 days for my current ICE car. Obviously I will not get my car within 7 days even if I order it today. It’s not really clear whether the trade in value gets reevaluated when the new model 3 comes in. is the estimate they give me actually accurate?

2. Is there a way to tell what the current trade in value is, without ‘overriding’ the existing one? I.e. I have a current quoted price from 4 days ago, want to see if the price has changed, but don’t want to be stuck with a lower number.

This sounds to me like you are talking about two different things.

"Trade in offer good for 7 days" sounds like car max offer... but "whether trade in value gets re evaluated when the new model 3 comes in" must be a question regarding TESLAs trade in offer, whatever that is, because it wouldnt make any sense to be talking about carmax 7 day offer and asking if it gets re evaluated when any ordered model 3 comes in (probably 4-12 weeks from now).

From what I read here, teslas trade in offers are good for 30 days / X number of miles unless that has changed... so if your ordered car comes in more than 30 days from now, yes the value would change.

This sounds to me like you are talking about two different things.

"Trade in offer good for 7 days" sounds like car max offer... but "whether trade in value gets re evaluated when the new model 3 comes in" must be a question regarding TESLAs trade in offer, whatever that is, because it wouldnt make any sense to be talking about carmax 7 day offer and asking if it gets re evaluated when any ordered model 3 comes in (probably 4-12 weeks from now).

From what I read here, teslas trade in offers are good for 30 days / X number of miles unless that has changed... so if your ordered car comes in more than 30 days from now, yes the value would change.
Thanks. So if the car comes greater than 30 days from now, what happens? Will I not know until the car actually arrives, what the trade in value will be?

Thanks. So if the car comes greater than 30 days from now, what happens? Will I not know until the car actually arrives, what the trade in value will be?

As far as I understand it, yes. I did not trade a vehicle into tesla, and my purchase was 2.5 years ago, but, I do read most threads in the model 3 section (as likely would be somewhat expected of a moderator for this section).

Here is a thread that is relevant (that also shows up in the "similar threads" feature below)

Tesla will rip you off and lower the value. That seems to be the general trend on trade ins.

I would recommend going to Vroom, Carvana, Private Party. Anywhere but Tesla for a used vehicle sale.

Tesla will rip you off and lower the value. That seems to be the general trend on trade ins.

I would recommend going to Vroom, Carvana, Private Party. Anywhere but Tesla for a used vehicle sale.

On this specific topic, I have a co worker who has a model 3 SR+ and recently decided to replace it with a Model Y. because the model Y was delivered recently (end of quarter last month), while they were away on vacation, they were not able to trade the model 3 in to tesla like they planned.

I suggested Carmax / Vroom / Carvana, like you have above. They got values from all 3 in the 35-36k range for their model 3. I asked them how much tesla had offered when they were just looking to trade the model 3 in, and they told me 26k. So, there was a 10k difference (!) in what tesla offered for trade in of a model 3 SR+ and what the three above offered.

TL; DR, tesla was certainly far from competitive in this instance, to say the least.

+1
I recently took delivery of a 3 SR+ and in that process decided to trade-in our existing lease (non-Tesla) which was coming to an end. Tesla gave me positive equity on the actual value of the trade-in but then gave me some cockamamie about buyback fees which they were tacking on which resulted in negative equity. Made no sense. Took the lease back to the dealership we had leased from and came home with a $3k check vs the $2k I would have had to pay Tesla fir the trade-in. When I pointed this out to Tesla, the rep just shrugged lol
You’ll have better luck selling your car anywhere else.