TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Dan Baldwin, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

This is a charging question and an account question

1) I have a 2018 MS P100D. I assumed that I had unlimited lifetime Supercharging. When I log into my account and go to manage, it says I have a $6.40 balance from the supercharger in my town. I've used this several times but the last time I used it to "top off" when I was shopping in the immediate area. I was only there 1/2 hour and there were no other cars. Is this an Idle charge ?

2) How do I change the name of my car in the account site ? It says "Daniels Tesla", not the name which I have given my car.

Thanks !

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Did you buy new or used ? If new did u use referral code ? In your online account it will show if you have free supercharging ...if u bought used free supercharging will not transfer from previous owner on a 2018 car ...Tesla had some confusing rules on supercharging following car but I believe cutoff was early 2017 builds ...the name in online account is not the name from the car

• Informative x 1
  3. JasJ

JasJ Supporting Member

1. if you used a referral code to purchase your MS, there should be no charge if there were no other cars at the supercharger. If you did not use one... I suggest you give them a call with a referral code and beg for forgiveness on the lateness of providing the code... a zillion people here will offer you their referral code.
    2. You likely have to change the primary contact first name, but that could lead to problems in the future.

4. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

I bought new with no referral code. I've used the SC several times with no charges. I know I have unlimited SC, I saw it somewhere and was specifically told I had unlimited lifetime SC. Does this "Idle charge" business depend on the number of cars at the SC ?

5. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

The supercharger location needs to be at least half full for you to incur idle fees. Also you either have to reach your preset charge limit or reach 100% charge rate before racking up idle fees

• Informative x 1
  6. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

No new tesla has free supercharging without referral. You wern't charged before because you get 400kwh free a year in supercharging credit. 99.9% of people who buy Model X/S have a referral code because everyone on this forum spams it like crazy, so thats why the general perception is Model S/X have free unlimited supercharging. But alas, as you've found out, it does not.

You get idle fees if the supecharger is more than 50% full and you've completed charging.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Krash

Krash Data Technician

There are documented cases of new buyers without referral codes getting unlimited supercharging. And there are documented cases of new buyers without codes not getting unlimited supercharging. I am curious as to how that is determined.

8. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

I shouldn't have said I purchased new, because actually I purchased an inventory car with 700 miles on it. There is a referral code listed in my account, but I don't know what it is exactly. Could my dealer have supplied it ? So confusing.

This is what it says about supercharging when I log into my account:
    Supercharging
    You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging.

So the $6.40 balance must be an idle charge, right ?

9. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

I’m guessing it is an idle charge. Do you remember charging to completion recently?

I think oftentimes an OA will just add a referral code for a buyer without a code. So the buyer doesn’t think they had a code, but the OA put one in. It makes sense in that situation, because otherwise the buyer loses out on free Supercharging. What doesn’t make sense and is maddening, is when an OA doesn’t put in the buyer-supplied referral code and instead inserts an alternate referral code.

• Helpful x 1
  10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Many cases a salesperson will apply a “friends” code.

• Love x 1
  11. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

The charge was from more than a month ago and I cant recall if it went to completion or not. I agree, the simplest explanation is that it is an idle charge. It would be nice if details were provided that explain that.

12. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

OK, I'm an idiot... I didnt realize that there was a link on the charge that takes you to the details--- it says:
    Idle fee 16 min @ $0.40/min $6.40

So thats that ! Sorry to waste anyones time !

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

However, the idle fee is only supposed to happen if the entire charge station is more than half full... so if you were the only one there you should not have been charged and idle fee. many times the map shows cars charging who are not there...

14. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Not more than half full:

Do idle fees apply if there are Supercharger spots still available?
    Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full once the charge session is complete.​

Also note, the "test" is when charging is complete so for a car picked up 16 minutes (in this case) later, the Supercharger could have been less than half full at pickup and the charges continue to accrue.

• Informative x 1
  15. Krash

Krash Data Technician

That issue aside, in previous programs where buyers received cash off or a credit for using a code, you could tell that a code wasn't used because that buyer benefit was not received, yet the vehicle still received unlimited supercharging.
    Keep in mind that once your vehicle starts incurring idle fees, it will continue to do so until unplugged, regardless of capacity. So if you forget to unplug and go to sleep, and the supercharger gets to half capacity for even a moment, you will incur the charges all night until you unplug in the morning.

16. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

This is all new information for me so I appreciate the discussion. I think in my case the idle charge is probably legit. Until this discussion I was unaware of idle "fines" so I'll pay more attention now. I think they are a good idea.

• Like x 2
  17. scottm

scottm Active Member

If you get a notification on your phone that charging is almost complete and you're more than 10 minutes away from collecting the car, bump up the charge limit to 100% to keep it charging while you walk to the car to avoid incurring this fee. It takes forever to reach 100% so your sprint can be more of a saunter. It's all legit so long as you're onboarding more charge. p.s. it's not healthy to repetitively charge to 100% so don't depend on this forgiveness "trick".

• Informative x 1