Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two registrants?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

Albuquerque1

My wife and I have ordered a Model Y. At some point I had to enter the registrants' details and as far as I could see there was only the possibility to have a single registrant. I entered only my details rather than faff about and delay the process but now I'm wondering if I can I somehow change this (even after delivery) to be both me and my wife, or if that even matters/is desirable. It has been so long since I owned a car in the UK I'm not even sure what being the "registered" person means — is it the owner or some other definition?

Legal owner or registered keeper? If the latter, its the person legally responsible for sorting out the vehicles legalities, such as tax, MOT, insurance etc and first port of call in the event of a motoring infringement - if registered keeper was not driving at time an infringement took place then they have to say who was the driver. There can only be one registered keeper and it is not necessarily the same as the owner.

So for the UK, understand that joint ownership is separate from one registered keeper (UK DVLC)
Who do we put in the Tesla system under Registration Details?
Local shop gave us a very chauvinistic and non-secure answer today - just let your wife use your account and password and you can allow her to use the car later!

So for the UK, understand that joint ownership is separate from one registered keeper (UK DVLC)
Who do we put in the Tesla system under Registration Details?
Local shop gave us a very chauvinistic and non-secure answer today - just let your wife use your account and password and you can allow her to use the car later!
You put whoever you want to be on the V5 as registered keeper.

Yes as you can only have one registered keeper ...
However,
1) Tesla fill that out for me - who do they put on the V5
2) How do I show joint ownership on my Tesla account

I would have though this equality thing would be all worked out by now.
1 - The person who has ordered the vehicle.

2 - What are you trying to achieve. Joint financial ownership of an asset isn't something Tesla, or the DVLA, are concerned about.

If you want someone else to be able to drive the vehicle then you just invite them within the app where they can create their own Tesla account and get linked to your vehicle.

Reactions: init6
Exactly - Joint financial ownership of an asset isn't something Tesla, or the DVLA, are concerned about.
But the other half-owner feels pretty upset they have to put my username and password into the Tesla app to use the car.
The people at collection just stared at us blankly and could not even imagine the issue.
Is this typical tech-bro stuff?

Exactly - Joint financial ownership of an asset isn't something Tesla, or the DVLA, are concerned about.
But the other half-owner feels pretty upset they have to put my username and password into the Tesla app to use the car.
The people at collection just stared at us blankly and could not even imagine the issue.
Is this typical tech-bro stuff?

I understand your frustration, I have similar stares when I point out to people that children don't have a single primary parent (whom people assume is the mother) when there are two parents. Both are always equal.

Just create a single shared email and Tesla account, then add both of you as two additional drivers.

You can edit the full name on the shared Tesla account to say whatever you want. It can be edited after the car is delivered.

Keep the shared account as a backup and login to the app using your additional driver logins.

You can still add payment details onto the account, but credit cards also have only one primary account holder with an additional card holder! Just the same!