Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two reports of Teslas on AP hitting stopped vehicles in their lane on the freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fire truck was a couple years ago, and I don’t think it would happen with today’s firmware.

I don’t know what happened with this new case in CT, but I’m guessing it is some form of mode confusion - the car didn’t think it was doing what the driver thinks it is doing.

As someone noted above, one obvious way for this to happen is the driver accidentally pressing the accelerator while they twist in the seat to look behind them.

Detecting stopped cars is a fundamental challenge for all Adaptive Cruise Control and Autonomous systems, but these days Tesla has gotten pretty good at it.

Huh this is just 4 months ago? Video: Tesla in autopilot mode bursts into flames

I nearly rear ended a stopped truck on the DC beltway while driving another vehicle. They were doing long term construction and had dump trucks lined up in the right hand driving lane at night. I saw the trucks but thought they were just moving slow, like 45. I looked over my shoulder to check the blind spot and when I looked back I barely had time to change lanes. Had there been a car in the next lane I would be dead.

Who stops dead on a major highway???

Would the Tesla have stopped for that? The alarm sounds when I don't slow as quickly behind traffic as the car thinks I should. Does it not see stopped vehicles at all? It would seem not according to the reports. So how can they ever expect to have fully autonomous cars? They work great, but tend to crash into stationary objects.

The Pitt maneuver does not push with the front of the car. The push is sideways against the rear quarter panel making the car go sideways and spin out. So it would involve the police car front fender, not the bumper.

On a police car their front bumper/pig pusher normally wraps around the sides and is what is used for a pit maneuver. (They don't want to damage their car in the process.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
From the Tarrytown Daily Voice 12/08/2019 5:14 PM

[If Tesla can determine if autopilot was really engaged, will they share that information? Or was the driver just looking for an excuse?]

State Police Cruiser Rear-Ended By Tesla On 'Autopilot' On I-95

Screen_Shot_2019-12-08_at_4.56.12_PM_pwlfad

A look at the crash scene on I-95. Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

A state patrol cruiser was among two vehicles hit by a Tesla driving in autopilot on a busy stretch of Interstate 95 in Fairfield County.

It happened on Saturday morning, Dec. 7 on the northbound side near Exit 15 in Norwalk, Connecticut State Police said.

Two police cars responded to a disabled vehicle in the left-center lane when the incident occurred. The troopers activated their emergency lights and set up a flare pattern behind the cruisers while waiting for a tow truck for the disabled vehicle.

The Tesla, a 2018 Tesla Model 3, hit the disabled vehicle and striking the rear of one of the cruisers, police said.

There were no injuries.

The unidentified man operating the Tesla Tesla said he was on autopilot while checking his dog in the backseat at the time of the crash, police said. The man was charged with reckless driving and reckless endangerment.

“This crash could’ve been avoided," U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut) said. "While autonomous vehicles are an exciting development, the tech is simply not ready to be deployed safely. Congress must act to protect the public from these vehicles until their safety can be assured.”

The concerning thing is several other manufacturers have solved this problem. My son's subaru WRX would not have done this. Eyesight is considerably better than autopilot in this regard.

I very much doubt this is true. Coming up on stopped traffic is a known issue with every manufacturers’ Adaptive cruise systems because they’re designed to ignore most stationary objects they detect. You need to exercise due caution when using any system as of now. I had a couple incidents on my Volt where I had to manually slow down while on adaptive cruise while approaching stopped vehicles.

Sure, since other manufacturers don't call it by that name when they have driver assist... or maybe they had none at all and still hit others.

Just my two cents as a (private) pilot: the name is completely accurate to what it does. In an aircraft, one can set the autopilot to various modes - keep the wings level, maintain a certain altitude, fly a certain heading, a certain speed (if auto throttle equipped), etc. Even with the auto pilot operating, the pilot needs to be monitor the situation and be ready to intervene at all times. If air traffic control issues a direction, if one needs to maneuver around other traffic, if there's an abnormal event, etc, the pilot needs to be ready to take control.

I realize that the average driver does not have experience using an aircraft autopilot. But everyone has a basic understanding of what an autopilot is (hence why Tesla uses the term) and I don't think anyone believes that once the autopilot is set the pilots take a nap, decide to read a book or watch a movie, or otherwise distract themselves in a way that would prevent them from monitoring the airplane.

I'm not sure why people hear the term autopilot and assume they can do things that they'd never be comfortable with a pilot on a commercial flight doing, even with the plane on autopilot (in a single-pilot scenario).

Just my two cents as a (private) pilot: the name is completely accurate to what it does. In an aircraft, one can set the autopilot to various modes - keep the wings level, maintain a certain altitude, fly a certain heading, a certain speed (if auto throttle equipped), etc. Even with the auto pilot operating, the pilot needs to be monitor the situation and be ready to intervene at all times. If air traffic control issues a direction, if one needs to maneuver around other traffic, if there's an abnormal event, etc, the pilot needs to be ready to take control.

I realize that the average driver does not have experience using an aircraft autopilot. But everyone has a basic understanding of what an autopilot is (hence why Tesla uses the term) and I don't think anyone believes that once the autopilot is set the pilots take a nap, decide to read a book or watch a movie, or otherwise distract themselves in a way that would prevent them from monitoring the airplane.

I'm not sure why people hear the term autopilot and assume they can do things that they'd never be comfortable with a pilot on a commercial flight doing, even with the plane on autopilot (in a single-pilot scenario).
I completely understand... I am a pilot myself! :) I do have to add though, as you know, we have been trained in the operation of the craft and must hold a rating in such type of craft to legally fly it. Should there be training for driving assist vehicles?

Last edited:
Reactions: DOCAL
AP might well have been engaged. Meanwhile, driver was disengaged, attending to dog, contrary to Tesla’s instructions for use of the feature. It’s well known that AP isn’t good at responding to things that are at a complete stop. If the story is accurate (some doubt, given the quality of the writing), this sounds like the driver was at fault as charged.

does blumenthol really believe that the guy would have paid more attention without autopilot enabled? People who are gonna checkout while driving are gonna check out..
Dosent really matter. All he need is events like this portrayed in the correct light to get some type of legislation banning autonomous systems in cars. Next thing you know we get an update that hobbles Autopilot until it is “proven” safe.

Reactions: APotatoGod