Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Tesla destination chargers capped me at 10 kilowatts/he. Do i have a wrong setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Tesla.com and looked up destination chargers. I found two that were listed to be 16kw/hr.

However when i charged at these two locations, both charged me at 10kw/hr.

I was curious if I have some wrong setting?

Both times i had the "amps" slider in the app set to max.

Destination chargers in the US are all single phase Level 2 (L2) chargers, so do not charge at that speed. They max out at 48amps if you have a Long range tesla Model Y (assuming model Y since this is the subforum you posted at).

You likely got 10w because it was 48amp at commercial voltage (208v).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Destination chargers in the US are all single phase Level 2 (L2) chargers, so do not charge at that speed. They max out at 48amps if you have a Long range tesla Model Y (assuming model Y since this is the subforum you posted at).

You likely got 10w because it was 48amp at commercial voltage (208v).
Got it. I am a model y LR in the USA so that must have been what happened.

If this is the case, why does Tesla.com list them at 16kw/hr?

Got it. I am a model y LR in the USA so that must have been what happened.

If this is the case, why does Tesla.com list them at 16kw/hr?

I dont know, but older model S and X have onboard chargers that can support those speeds, so perhaps the station can charge at that speed for those cars. No model 3 or Y has ever supported that speed from the onboard charger (the charger is actually in the car, not at the connector).

• Informative
The charging screen within the Tesla Model Y vehicle will display the charging amperage and charging voltage. Example: 48A / 48A at 208V. The first amperage value is the charging amperage, the second number is the amperage limit for the charging session. I routinely charge using a public Level 2 charging station, voltage is always right around but never above 200V. Even when charging late in the evening or during early hours the voltage is never close to 208V.

• Helpful
The charging screen within the Tesla Model Y vehicle will display the charging amperage and charging voltage. Example: 48A / 48A at 208V. The first amperage value is the charging amperage, the second number is the amperage limit for the charging session. I routinely charge using a public Level 2 charging station, voltage is always right around but never above 200V. Even when charging late in the evening or during early hours the voltage is never close to 208V.
I just got 208V at a hotel in Seattle last week. It happens.

Back in the old days, people had 70 or 80A chargers onboard their cars (Roadster/Model S/X) when superchargers weren't very prevalent. 80A*208 = 16kW max. Now that lots of superchargers are around, it didn't make sense for people to spend extra money for fast AC charging.