TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Two Tesla top manufacturing executives to leave following Model X production issues

Discussion in 'Model X' started by umeshunni, May 4, 2016.

1. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Two Tesla top manufacturing executives to leave following Model X production issues

“A person familiar with the situation who isn’t authorized to speak about the matter said the executive changes are linked to delays, glitches, and a recall that have bedeviled Tesla’s Model X. Tesla denied any connection between the departures and production problems with its SUV. “This is not about the Model X,” said a Tesla spokesperson. “After being at Tesla for over five years and leading its production team for the past three years, Greg Reichow has announced his intention to take a leave of absence from Tesla so that he can have a well-earned break.”

2. Drivin

Drivin Member

It is important for executives or politicians to step away from their job for an unspecified period of time to "spend more time with their families"

That seems to happen a lot.

• Like x 3
  3. bignikku

bignikku Member

Let's see if the get picked up by Apple now

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

It's not so much that they need to spend more time with their families, but less time with Elon methinks. :rolleyes::p;)

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  5. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I guess they were disappointed due to the lack of sunshades

• Funny x 7
  6. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

They need to hire someone who work for Japanese or German automakers to take over the QC department. Everything passes their eyes the quality will be on par with Nissan GTR or Porsche Cayenne.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I know right, for instance Acura's are manufactured in the U.S but I haven't seen any of these build issues

8. Drivin

Drivin Member

Funny.
    In these companies, quality is "Job One" and comes from the overall culture of the company.
    I doubt they were the ones who decided to release cars at the end of the quarter regardless of the obvious quality issues.

9. jsollender

jsollender Member

And sleep is job two, as EM alluded to in his Q1 phone call that he has a sleeping bag and cot off the production floor, and his current work desk is situated at the end of the production line. Where was he last fall when he should have been doing this? Trying to land a Falcon on a barge

10. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Well, some billionaires have a billion dollars yacht where they give big parties with some tiny rockets to make fireworks to attract there a few tens of VIP , others (at least one) have a (one million dollars ?) barge where he used to attract a big rocket coming back from space, trying NOT having a firework, and inspiring millions of people. It's a choice of living.:p

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  11. hill

hill Member

From the article
    Looked at Honeywell stock back 2+ years ago, then the earlier 8 years. The results were nothing to write home about, not that any one player or one department causes that. That said, we've had ex military come into our huge multinational corporation, after working for some other civilian company (which often they'd shmoozed prior to exiting the military). I can see how the fit with Tesla might be difficult. Most of our ex military have gone on to "find a better fit" too
    ;)

• Like x 1
  12. X Fan

X Fan Member

After seeing some of the vehicles that landed at the SC and owner's homes, they SHOULD go......glad to see Elon is holding people accountable.

• Like x 1
  13. Drivin

Drivin Member

If the root cause was an over engineered car that they shouldn't have built, was the person who did that let go and held accountable? Or are the my just blaming people who couldn't build the car that they shouldn't have built?

14. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I thought it interesting that Elon mentioned only the name of one of these two execs in today's conf call.

Hints at his disapproval of the person not mentioned, perhaps?

15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Since when does working for 5 years at something require a break? If that's the case I should have changed jobs about 5 times by now.

16. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

You might want to research who it was that taught Japan to mass manufacture automobiles.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Clearly, you have never worked for Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Burn out working for intense CEOs is pretty common.

18. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I've read plenty of articles about how Tesla has a pretty heavy workload (applying to all levels of employees) and it is easy to burn out there. A lot of it is because Elon is such a workaholic and he expects his employees to do similar.

19. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Working at his primary job?

Over engineer? Maybe

Should never had built? The market disagrees with you.

letting unfinished products roll out the door and get delivered? This is what boils Elon's and anyone else's blood.

If it isn't right, make it right, that was the guys job and after a couple hundred, he still never stood up. They also mentioned it was related to the Seat recall. I'm guessing these two people failed at their primary jobs.

• Like x 2