TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two Tesla top manufacturing executives to leave following Model X production issues

Discussion in 'Model X' started by umeshunni, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Over engineered or not, a better managed QC (which they were responsible for) process wouldn't have allowed the vehicles to leave the factory....

2. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

True and the Japanese and Germans have had their own (and very serious) challenges lately, i.e. airbags, diesel engines, avg. mph misstatements.....

• Like x 1
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

My feeling is that a decent QC faced up head-to-head with a more powerful executive staff worried about Q1 numbers.

• Like x 5
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I don't know if the two execs deserved to fall on their swords or not, since I'm not privy to the goings-on at Tesla with the Model X production line. However, if Musk felt that they were the ones responsible for the QC issues and consequent delays in Model X rollout, getting them out of the way now in anticipation of the new aggressive schedule for the Model 3 may be the logical course of action in his mind.

• Like x 2
  5. Drivin

Drivin Member

#25 Drivin, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Ok. So in a company like Tesla, you think that QC makes the final decision about the release of a product. Remember, he claims he has a cot and sleeping bag on the production floor. Does someone sneak cars past him when he is napping?

• Funny x 1
  6. Drivin

Drivin Member

And who says Tesla doesn't do marketing? Let me guess, he has a sleeping bag on the production floor...but that place is so darn loud he can't sleep, so he sleeps in his mansion instead. I hope he gets a good night sleep - lack of which can cause some serious performance problems. If he really feels that he needs to sleep there, maybe he should do some good old fashioned root-cause analysis to understand how he built a $6B company in which the CEO has to micromanage a production line to such an extent.

• Like x 1
  7. EcoHeliGuy

EcoHeliGuy Member

Apparently your new to around here and to Elon's ways. He leads by example and has a very long history of demonstrating just that. Not the first car he has inspected by hand on the assembly line. And not the first time he has let executives go on the 11 hour.

sorry but Tesla didn't fall out of a cereal box, nor did spaceX, PayPal or Zip2.

• Like x 1
  8. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

This is a win for all involved. The two ex-Tesla execs can move forward with Tesla on their CVs, and Tesla now has room to bring in execs more seasoned in the art of actually producing millions of cars per year. Hope they get someone from Toyota/Lexus.

9. Drivin

Drivin Member

Since he is is inspecting cars on the assembly line and sleeping there, maybe the example he should have set would be to not release cars with so many problems.

The example other companies use is to completely shut down the line and figure out what is going wrong. He whole ounce of prevention vs pound of cure thing. Even cereal box companies do that so too bad tesla didn't fall out of that box.

Doing things differently should not mean doing things worse

10. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I'm not sure someone from an existing car company would fit in at Tesla. Tesla does things differently and with great intensity, which may clash with anyone from an established auto manufacturing company.

11. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

I suppose there is a place for everything....a first for me to use TMC's ignore button.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1