Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two teslas in the garage, both charge port does open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No ICE

2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1
Apr 10, 2016
Kansas City
I took delivery of my cpo last week, ( our second EV). The Car is great, the delivery experience in KC was great! This weekend, I could not figure out why my charge port door would be randomly open when I know I didn't charge the car. Tonight I plugged in my wife's car with her HPWC and heard a clicking noise, when I went arround to look at my car my charge port door had popped open when I triggered her charge port to open! Are all the cars all on the same frequency to open the charge port doors? I thought that was odd? Anyone else have two teslas and have this happen?

Yep - when I was at the Paramus NJ supercharger (and showroom) last night I clicked the supercharger handle to open my charge port and a parked car ~15 ft away's charge port opened and ring lit light blue. Of course I closed it for them.

If you want - you can press and hold the trunk button on the keyfob for the car you wish to open the port on.

LOL, I discovered this in 2013 within a few weeks of ownership. The Ft Myers supercharger had a grand opening (they used to have a big event back then when one opened), so I drove down. There were several of us backed in but not everyone was plugged in, not sure why. When I pressed the button to open my charge port, I heard the two cars to my right both pop open! We all right that was pretty funny...

Wow, I am surprised, I would expect opening charging port should be limited to a few inches between connector and port.
This might get more serious when there are more Tesla 3 and more SCs around malls ... then one guy starting charging will open a dozens charging ports of other parked Tesla 3, S, and X :)

Wow, I am surprised, I would expect opening charging port should be limited to a few inches between connector and port.
This might get more serious when there are more Tesla 3 and more SCs around malls ... then one guy starting charging will open a dozens charging ports of other parked Tesla 3, S, and X :)
Or, one guy with a mobile connector connecter to a tiny LiIon powered inverter goes around the parking lot full of Model 3's ;)

I always use the on-screen button to open the charge port, just before I exit the car.
Why? The Mobile Connector as well as the HPWC have a button right on the handle. Worst case, you have a late enough model (your sig says "D" ) that you can just press the charge port door with your finger to open it. All much less hassle than having to remember to navigate the touch screen before exiting the car.

Anyone else have two teslas and have this happen?
Yes, this is normal behavior and has been posted about in the past on TMC. The button on the charge cable head is not "keyed" to a specific car, nor should it be. It should be able to pop open the charge port on any Tesla (except a Roadster ;).

In a perfect world the charge cable head would only send out its signal no more than 3 feet. But the signal reaches farther than that, as you have observed.

I do suggest you keep your cars plugged in every night.

Btw, we park our two Tesla's facing opposite directions (see below), I tried and standing next to charging port only opens the car I'm next to, so it seems the length of the car separation is enough (antenna for charge port is on the hatch, so in this case they are separated by almost a car length and facing opposite directions). Tried it with both Mobile connector and HPWC. As I mentioned before though, the cars are always plugged in in the garage, so I had to go out of my way to try it in the first place.
Garage.png

Last edited:
Btw, we park our two Tesla's facing opposite directions (see below), I tried and standing next to charging port only opens the car I'm next to, so it seems the length of the car separation is enough (antenna for charge port is on the hatch, so in this case they are separated by almost a car length and facing opposite directions). Tried it with both Mobile connector and HPWC. As I mentioned before though, the cars are always plugged in in the garage, so I had to go out of my way to try it in the first place.
View attachment 236097

I just love that picture!

View attachment 236097

When I had two 85 D's parked in my garage there was interference. Since delivery of my 75 D 2 weeks ago there has been no interference with th remaining 85 D.

When I had two 85 D's parked in my garage there was interference. Since delivery of my 75 D 2 weeks ago there has been no interference with th remaining 85 D.
Did your chargers change too, or parking location? If not, it makes no sense that changing one car would make a difference to the other car opening with the first car's charger.

Last edited: