Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two teslas in the garage, both charge port does open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what it says in my manual:

Opening the Charge Port
The charge port is located on the driver’s side of Model S, behind a door that is part of the rear
tail light assembly.
Park Model S so that the charge cable easily reaches the charge port.
With Model S unlocked, or a recognized key nearby, press and release the button on a Tesla
charge cable to open the charge port door.

This could easily be true, but it is not. Well it is true, but I think they meant this was a requirement.

Last edited:
We've noticed this issue since we added our new S 100D in the garage with our "classic" S P85. Pressing the button on the HPWC or UMC activates both charging doors.

Since we always have the cars plugged in while in the garage, this hasn't been a problem.

Yep - when I was at the Paramus NJ supercharger (and showroom) last night I clicked the supercharger handle to open my charge port and a parked car ~15 ft away's charge port opened and ring lit light blue. Of course I closed it for them.
I don't recommend doing this. Being "helpful" is how other people's cars get broken. If you were "helpful" with my Sig and I saw you, I'd probably give you an earful.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
I don't recommend doing this. Being "helpful" is how other people's cars get broken. If you were "helpful" with my Sig and I saw you, I'd probably give you an earful.

I was at the Paramus showroom supercharger and this vehicle had no plates and was an obvious non customer owned vehicle on the lot. How do you suspect someone closing your charge port on a sig (before auto close was even available) a trigger for you to be confrontational?

As a tesla owner I would disagree with you and not give a fellow owner an ear full for consciously and properly closing their charge port and would instead thank them especially if there was rain in the forecast. To each their own.

Reactions: Xenius
How do you suspect someone closing your charge port on a sig (before auto close was even available) a trigger for you to be confrontational?
I don't like people touching my stuff, especially when it's expensive and/or rare stuff. It's how frunks get creased, charge port doors get broken, etc.

"I was just being helpful." "Great, please continue to do so by paying the repair bill."

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
I took delivery of my cpo last week, ( our second EV). The Car is great, the delivery experience in KC was great! This weekend, I could not figure out why my charge port door would be randomly open when I know I didn't charge the car. Tonight I plugged in my wife's car with her HPWC and heard a clicking noise, when I went arround to look at my car my charge port door had popped open when I triggered her charge port to open! Are all the cars all on the same frequency to open the charge port doors? I thought that was odd? Anyone else have two teslas and have this happen?
Yep - two for one when we charge either. Other issue is when we leave at the same time - automatically closing the garage can be a problem.