Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Teslas, one Nema outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 Teslas on order and I have one Nema 14-50 outlet. Is this a bad idea? For the most part we plan to charge one Tesla at night, and the other during the day. Any downside to this other than the obvious that we may have a situation where we need to charge both at the same time?

In general it should work fine. Most of the time I only plug in once or twice a week anyway. It could obviously end up being a problem in a rare instance if both cars need a full charge for the next day, but with a little planning it shouldn't be a problem.

I have 2 Teslas on order and I have one Nema 14-50 outlet. Is this a bad idea? For the most part we plan to charge one Tesla at night, and the other during the day. Any downside to this other than the obvious that we may have a situation where we need to charge both at the same time?

Should work fine... But, I find it more convenient to have an outlet for each car...

(we do share an HPWC for the two, but that's only if I need to recover at a faster rate, but don't need to supercharge (for the S, the Roadster doesn't supercharge.))

You can purchase two HPWCs and hardwire them using the wiring from your 14-50. HPWC's are able to be installed in a way that they share a circuit, so if you have both Teslas plugged in, each gets half the power. If only one is plugged in (or one becomes fully charged) then it gets full power. Of course, this is a $1,100 solution (plus electrician).

I get about 30 miles charged per hour on my 14-50, I have dual chargers but did not opt for the HPWC as my actual usage didn't justify it. I would say if you drive under 100 miles in a day, you can alternate which car is charging between days, and avoid the hot swap issue. I agree with the other sentiments that 110 as a back up is ok but I was only getting 3 miles charged per hour and was worried that there was energy loss (wasted $)

I also have two Tesla's and one 14-50 outlet, I ran conduit from the wall outlet to the middle of the garage. I only charge one car at a time, so for me it works out fine.

We've had two electric cars in our garage since 2014 (had at least one since 2012). We have only ever had one high power 220v connector and it works out fine. Just make sure to charge at least one fully overnight (typically the one you plan to drive). In situations where you plan to drive both, you should be okay so long as basically at any given point one is charging.

It becomes habit-- but when you get home from work you plug your vehicle in. But then just get in habit of checking the SoC before bedtime. Is the one plugged in going to be done charging just an hour or two after you go to sleep? Yet the other one is at 30% SoC? In those cases, swapping to the other car makes more sense, so you wake up at 80% and 100% instead of 100% and 30% if you follow my logic.

Another thing to consider is plugging the other into a 110v at the other times just to trickle-- it doesnt add much but every drop counts. We've not bothered doing that, though -- and with a Model S and Model X, no issues. When I unplug mine I just immediately plug in my wife's car for her if she is home. Even if she is leaving an hour later, she still gets benefit from that hour of charge time.

Also might not apply in NJ, but depending on your local utility rates, you might pay more during the day than at night (...like I do here in NoCA with PG&E on a TOU rate), and the difference is substantial (between $0.10/kw and $0.40/kw) such that it would pay for a 2nd NEMA 14-50. And FWIW, we have 2 NEMA 14-50s for 2 cars, and no HPWCs.

Also might not apply in NJ, but depending on your local utility rates, you might pay more during the day than at night (...like I do here in NoCA with PG&E on a TOU rate), and the difference is substantial (between $0.10/kw and $0.40/kw) such that it would pay for a 2nd NEMA 14-50. And FWIW, we have 2 NEMA 14-50s for 2 cars, and no HPWCs.

Yup, that's why I charge on two separate NEMAs (super off-peak in SCE territory is from 10pm to 8am...)

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Unless I push something like 80%+ of my electric use to overnight, I don't get any discount on rates in NJ, and its not a very big discount either. I think I am going to try it out using a 110V on the other one for trickle charging and alternate as needed and see how it goes. I can always add a second one if needed. Thanks everyon.

This is driving me just about nuts. Can we please stop calling them "NEMAs" or "NEMA outlets"? That's like saying how many metrics is it from San Fran to LA? No. Meters, liters, and grams are the actual units; metric is the name for the categorizing system. NEMA is the naming system for all outlet types. So they are 14-50s or 14-50 outlets or 14-30 outlets or 5-15 outlets, etc.

We have two Teslas now, and one 14-30 outlet. Wife is averaging so far around 20 miles a day. I average around 20 miles a day as well with occasional days running up to 40 miles or so.

She will plug her X in after bring the kids home from school. I will wait until the X fully charges, then plug the S in overnight.

So far it's been working out peachy for both of us. We both start off the day with a full 90% charge, and haven't had any problems.

YMMV...

We have two Teslas now, and one 14-30 outlet. Wife is averaging so far around 20 miles a day. I average around 20 miles a day as well with occasional days running up to 40 miles or so.

She will plug her X in after bring the kids home from school. I will wait until the X fully charges, then plug the S in overnight.

So far it's been working out peachy for both of us. We both start off the day with a full 90% charge, and haven't had any problems.

YMMV...

If your driving needs are that short and consistent, you might want to consider lowering the charge limit.

Going from 100% to 90% makes a huge silence as Tesla points out, but going to 80% or even 70% should decrease degradation a little more, and it seems like it wouldn't affect you otherwise.

I picked 80% as the best overall daily limit for me. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo