Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two things really holding me back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Lock in the reservation price with a deposit if you're remotely serious.

Model S Plaid went up $10k on the day of the first deliveries. You snooze, you lose.

Put your order in asap, even if you have no intention of buying for months to a year. Lock that price and config in now. I had our placed our Y order in Jan and locked in that price. We didn't take delivery till June and in that time the cost had gone up over $3k which is kind of CRAZY. I had pushed it back because the markets had gone to hell. And in June, it was an ok time to make the move for us.

The price increases reflect SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

100% this and it applies not just to the car itself but the parts needed to make the the car. Price increases roll up to the consumer.

I just googled ”Ford MSRP increase” and had hits for the Bronco and the F-150. The hit for the F-150 was interesting because it was for a forum post where someone noticed the increase on the Manroney sticker for the just delivered truck.

My point? People don’t notice price increases for other manufacturers because you never know what you are going to be paying. It‘s good that people here have forgotten how things “used to be“.

Not surprised that this was probably FUD.

New user posts "concerns" stopping them from buying a Tesla.
New user posts update pushing purchase off for other "reasons".

The price increases reflect SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Tesla can’t make enough Tesla’s. This is strictly how the market works. Re the radar your fears are unfounded. Please search YouTube and you’ll see how well the “radar less” cars perform. If you snooze you loose.

Reactions: iustin
It is so easy to have paralysis by analysis. I was struck by that a bit at first. So glad I just dove into the deep end of the pool and enjoying it instead of thinking about it. By doing it when I did, I saved about several thousand since all the price increases. Likely it will look better and better as time goes on given how well they are selling.

Reactions: Big Earl
Not surprised that this was probably FUD.

New user posts "concerns" stopping them from buying a Tesla.
New user posts update pushing purchase off for other "reasons".

Oh so clever! You got me! A guy who doesn’t have a Tesla and is planning on buying a Tesla would definitely have joined years ago and made hundreds of positive comments before ever posting something about ‘concerns’ when it comes to spending 50K + on a car. You figured me out. I came here to ask reasonable sounding questions and comment about my personal reasons to postpone buying, all as a clever ruse to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about a car. I’m that bored. It was genius really, and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for that meddling mark95476! Dang it!

New posters shouldn’t be able to ask questions or express concerns. You should have at least one year and 1489 posts before you can do such a thing.

Last edited:
Oh so clever! You got me! A guy who doesn’t have a Tesla […]
You should have at least one year and 1489 posts before you can do such a thing.

Sarcasm doesn’t work well in forums. People easily misinterpret the OP’s thoughts and rationale. Just sayin you might feel ”smart” now, but it’s often misinterpreted.

Waiting for 4680 cells and structural Model Y is a common plan. Those could be manufactured in first or second quarter of 2022. However, with the demand on Tesla, there should be a preorder backlog.

It’s quite likely they will cost more, supply and demand, especially if ordered in 2022.

But the Model Y is likely to last longer with the single piece dyecasts and new battery.

Sarcasm doesn’t work well in forums. People easily misinterpret the OP’s thoughts and rationale. Just sayin you might feel ”smart” now, but it’s often misinterpreted.

Waiting for 4680 cells and structural Model Y is a common plan. Those could be manufactured in first or second quarter of 2022. However, with the demand on Tesla, there should be a preorder backlog.

It’s quite likely they will cost more, supply and demand, especially if ordered in 2022.

But the Model Y is likely to last longer with the single piece dyecasts and new battery.
You always take a chance with sarcasm. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I feel like buying now I'd be paying a lot more for the same dang thing, maybe even less without the radar. But waiting a bit longer, even if I pay a bit more, would mean the 4680 structural battery, which to me seems like a bit of a game changer. More capacity, lighter weight, improved structural rigidity. That is a tangible benefit for the extra money. That would be worth paying more for, in my estimation. I'd love to just jump in now to have one, but when the Austin models roll off the line I'd probably be wishing I had waited. Putting an order in now and then delaying for six months might be an option, I just don't know if six months will be enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
4680 cells are a year away for Texas. They've not proven reliability enough for mass production so anyone thinking you'll get them soon is gonna be in for a surprise. Listen to the earnings for the 411. It's a case of not can but when. And the when is a year out from what they're saying.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
4680 cells are a year away for Texas. They've not proven reliability enough for mass production ...
At the earnings call they said reliability has been proven. Engineering issues remain with mass production that didn't exist with test line, like dimples on cathode. Tesla said minor production this year, and mass production next year, so a year away is a good estimate.
More here:

Here is what I tell People: This Tesla has a supercomputer with at least eight cameras sending images into it which can act many, many times faster than our brains, hands, and feet can react to situations, Don't you want that? " concerning original poster, I'm not a hot shot computer programmer but I have written code and I can understand the complication of having a radar input over riding the cameras input, or vice versa, or in conjunction with really slows down and muddies up the code and will introduce errors. In 50 years of buying automobiles I have never done so much research and asked so many questions about a vehicle as I have this one. They are just that different. the only concern I have is the QC, quality control, which is much better now, I think, I hope. If a man is old enough to have been buying cars for 50 years that man does not drive 326 miles without making a stop! Ha

Last edited:
I have been watching and waiting. My intent is to buy a Model Y, but two things have really put the brakes on. First is the price has been climbing every couple days. It's gone up about, what? Two thousand, maybe three thousand in the last month? And second, and perhaps most importantly, the removal of the radar. For whatever reason, be it because they think their cameras are better, or because they can't get electronic components, the loss of the radar functionality is major to me. There are several conditions where radar is superior to cameras, including bounce under cars or in foggy conditions.

Buying a Model Y right now is paying more for a car that does less. It would be one thing if Tesla said this is temporary and when parts are in stock your car will be updated with radar at no charge. But they aren't saying that. They're saying that the cameras aren't as good, so they have to disable and downgrade some features, but some day they will be able to enable and upgrade those features. And by the way we raised the price about 3k!

Is anyone else really put off by this?
Find a gently used demo and verify radar build if it makes you anxious.

• Disagree
Reactions: rjpjnk