TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Two toddler car seats and an adult?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by giantshark18, Jan 3, 2020.

1. giantshark18

giantshark18 Member

Does anyone have recommendations if trying to fit two car seats in the back of a Model 3? We have a minivan, but the kids (2 and 4) only want to drive in the Model 3 now (I feel the same ). It's a hassle to move them back and forth from vehicle to vehicle. Right now I have a Diono Radian and Chicoo Next fit zip. Neither seems to fit in the middle seat, and when they are both installed in the outward positions, a person cannot fit in the backseat with them. I know I can find narrower than the Chico, but wondering if they have anything even narrower than the Diono that does not sacrifice safety.

I also need to find a good set of protectors for the back of the front seats. My kids cannot keep their shoes off them.

Any other suggestions to child proof a model 3 as much as possible?

2. DiscoGsus

DiscoGsus Member

Give up now? :)
    Diono Radian Xt's are the skinniest, and with that only a skinny adult will ever fit between them (and I don't know how they would get in/out of there.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

We use a Diono Radian 3rxt in the middle seat for our 2 year old, and two Cosco boosters for our 5 and 8 year old. I don't know if your 4 year old is big enough for a booster seat, but that's the only configuration I think would work to fit an adult and two kids in the back of the Model 3.

4. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

Agreed Dionos are your only option... or maybe some Clek Fllos or perhaps this mew thing:
    Wayb Pico Car Seat (Post Recall)

Two of the Diono radian 3 RX or RXTs with optional base cushion foam and a skinny mini-adult (<5.5, <140lbs) in the middle is the best you can hope for.

The caveat being the Dionos dont really fit the model 3 well rear facing.

Peg Peregio or Nuna Rava are a good fit in Model 3s, but not as useful front facing, no booster mode, etc.

5. giantshark18

giantshark18 Member

So I went with 2 Diono Radian 3R car seats. An adult can now fit physically, but it is impossible to reach the buckle. I'm hoping there is some sort of extender available for the buckle, just a couple inches, as then it would work.

Attached Files:

6. JamBiscuit

JamBiscuit Member

Cant comment on the carseats as I have the Graco 4ever seats and no chance anyone is sitting in the back with both installed. I ordered the below kick mats and they fit well and offer good protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7AIRYD

7. giantshark18

giantshark18 Member

I wish
    I have the same kickmats. I wish they offered versions where the straps are white. I have white seats and the black straps look odd on the headrest.

8. boyguan

boyguan Member

Seat Belt Extenders by Car

im not sure i would try it as it raises the point where the belt forms the triangle. Can they fit in the middle of the 2 diono?

9. giantshark18

giantshark18 Member

I think I will go that and leave the middle seat open. I set it up this way to make it easier for the adult to get in, but I think safety is paramount.

However, my four-year-old daughter is not going to agree with this decision as she was stoked that she could "finally see the screen".

10. vinny84

vinny84 Member

I use this car seat in my MX and my kid (4 yrs old) loves this seat over Chicco and Britax. It is light weight and occupies lot less space.

Pico™ Car Seat

• Informative x 1
  11. Emeliaa Porter

Even though I do not have children yet, but still think the toddler is very important.