Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two totally ignorant questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are worried about your kids accidentally moving the car (which personally I think is very possible) I would use the pin to drive feature and then you don’t have to worry about it.

I would highly recommend getting the awd version and maybe waiting on fsd, because that can be added on. I use autopilot all the time but having to think about it i got mine sr+, blue, 19” rims, fsd, but for the same price just about I could have gotten a black long range awd and got all of the premium features, then upgraded (fsd and rims) when I had more money.

If you are worried about your kids accidentally moving the car (which personally I think is very possible) I would use the pin to drive feature and then you don’t have to worry about it.
It has in fact happened: Model X with child in drivers seat allegedly injures woman
Everyone with small children should be using pin to drive or a keycard. The Model 3 can be put into drive by a two year old with the door open, no weight in the seat, seat belt off, and the phone key does not even need to be in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: qdeathstar
The Model 3 can be put into drive by a two year old with the door open, no weight in the seat, seat belt off, and the phone key does not even need to be in the car.

^^^ This

Video evidence:

Model 3 Rollaway

This is a "corner-case", rare issue, but with possible major consequences, and I would imagine it will be addressed by Tesla, as it should be quite easy to solve (they have all the protection there already, it is just not complete). I have reported the issue to Tesla, to deal with as they see fit.

Parents with 16 year olds should be using Pin to Drive as well!!!

That is extremely unlikely to be effective. 16-year-olds are actually quite smart. If you are worried about your older children driving your car, your only options are to do all of the following:

1) Turn off Phone As Key
2) Pick new, secure credentials for your Tesla account and ensure your security questions cannot be socially engineered by your progeny. If 2-factor authentication is possible and provides protection against social engineering, use it.
3) If you have an Apple Keychain or other keychains, be sure your Tesla credentials are not being propagated to an extra device which the teenager has password access to.
4) Keep All Key Cards and Key Fobs with you at all times, or in a locked, secure location.
5) Keep PIN-to-drive on as final protection, and change the code frequently.

Last edited:
It has in fact happened: Model X with child in drivers seat allegedly injures woman
Everyone with small children should be using pin to drive or a keycard. The Model 3 can be put into drive by a two year old with the door open, no weight in the seat, seat belt off, and the phone key does not even need to be in the car.
I’m a little confused by this if true, since the car is automatically put into park when it senses weight has been removed from the seat. Seems a little strange to not use the weight sensor to determine if it can be switched out of park to begin with. Although I suppose if the weight sensor malfunctions it would be very annoying to not be able to drive the car.

I’m a little confused by this if true, since the car is automatically put into park when it senses weight has been removed from the seat. Seems a little strange to not use the weight sensor to determine if it can be switched out of park to begin with. Although I suppose if the weight sensor malfunctions it would be very annoying to not be able to drive the car.
There is a lot of confusion about this (and also a lot name calling and references to Darwinism in another thread).
The weight sensors, seat belt sensors, door sensors only prevent rollaways. If you press the brake and pull the drive lever down and quickly hit the accelerator the car will move. It does not matter if there is no weight in the seat and the seatbelt is unfastened and the door is open. Watch the video above.
I think this probably deserves its own thread so everyone with kids is aware of the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8

I was confused for the exact same reason. I initially assumed that the set of conditions which force a Drive->Park transition would prevent a Park->Drive transition. Instead, I found that they do NOT prevent the Park-Drive transition at all (the only requirement for that transition is to be pressing the brake pedal), but these conditions DO force the standard Drive->Park transition ~1 second AFTER releasing the brake pedal once in Drive...but (crucially), then I discovered this Drive->Park transition can be overridden with accelerator application within that critical 1-second window.

(See video above; it's much easier to just watch it happen).

Unless my car is defective for some reason, and this behavior is not actually repeatable on every car, this is an issue for everyone with a Model 3. (There is a claim in the Darwinism thread (Model X forum) that the Model X does not have this problem - I have no way to verify whether this is true or not.)

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8