Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two 'unlocks' needed to release charging cable in the morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this is due to the colder weather but releasing my home charger cable in the morning is a struggle. I press unlock on my phone app, there's a click and the light goes white but the cable won't release. I have to wait until the release option come up again on my phone and then it works. Is the cable release mechanism on my car on its way out or is this normal when it's cold?

Thought it was only me. Unlocked the port from the phone indoors after charge complete, when I got to the garage to release the cable, found the port still locked. Had to unlock it from the screen. Does it re-lock if not released in a certain time?

I have to press the fob (which I wholeheartedly recommend) twice. One seems to wake the car, the other releases the cable.
Thanks for the replies. I wait for my phone app to connect to the car, which wakes it up, then press ‘charger unlock‘. I hear the usual unlocking sound but this clearly hasn’t completed the action as I have to go through another cycle to remove the cable. If I reinsert the charger cable, I have to go through the same two cycles to remove it.

Which cable/charger is it? It may be an issue with the tollerences on the plug itself.

See the hypervolt thread for an example.

Thanks for the relies. My charger head is the one that comes with the Andersen charger. I had the same thought myself and checked where the pin docked with the rectangular hole on the charger head by smearing some Vaseline on the surfaces of the hole. (The pin comes in from the left hand-side as you look at the car in case anyone was wondering). I found that the pin docks right at the upper far corner of the hole so that could contribute additional resistance which could prevent the pin disengaging properly. I've made the hole slightly bigger by filing the surface and it worked OK when I tried it. The acid test will be after a night's charge in the cold.

I have the Hypervolt with the known-problematic cable. I had to use the manual charge port release handle in the boot to get it to release this evening.
Should hopefully have a replacement cable delivered tomorrow.

I was going to ask "when was the last time you cleaned the port", but it looks like that was already covered (sort of) in one of the responses.

I wasn't having this exact problem, but my car would charge at only 24 amps instead of the usual 48 amps. After attempting many 'fixes', cleaning the port seemed to have done the trick - I can't believe how dirty the contacts were. Anyway, I'm saying all of that to reiterate that most moving parts need some periodic maintenance.

Interesting i have found that unlock via app doesn't alway unlock the cable. In these instances i restart a charge then stop, followed by unlock. It seems to happen more when left to charge overnight
Exactly my experience - I have a SC appointment to look at this. Like you I restart the charge from my podpoint by taking it off the timer for cheap overnight electricity and the release the cable. Could it be to do with the colder weather? Has only happened in the morning post ending a charge in the early hours.

My 2020 S is left unlocked in the garage at night. If it's plugged into the Tesla wall charger and I press the plug's button the car wakes up, the light goes white and the second press allows the cable to be pulled out. Normal behaviour, I think.