Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two USB drives show up. How do I delete one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My USB drive (TeslaCam/Music) filled up. I removed the drive deleted the TeslaCam files and noticed the drive was acting up. I reformatted exfat & partitioned, reinstalled music and plugged back in to car. Now I get an option to pick/change USB drive (pic 1) and two drive options (pic 2).

Does anyone know how to get the USB drive with zero songs deleted. My assumption is since the same USB drive (just reformatted/partioned) the car media software is confused.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 89
Your physical USB drive seems to have two partitions. You said you repartitioned... Did you delete both partitions and create a single one? Or did you really just reformat one of the partitions?
Erased the drive back to 256GB. Formatted to APFS since I have a MAC. Re-partitioned to two drives, then reformatted both drives to exfat. Copied back music to music folder. Everything works (TeslaCam & Music), just annoying to see two drives when I only have one plugged in. FYI, I performed a power cycle and reboot after finding this issue (no change). I have another SanDisk MAX Endurance on order to see if that makes a difference. If the old USB storage goes away it's a Tesla software issue with reformatting and partitioning the same disk.

Last edited:
You formatted to have two partitions so you have "two drives". Even Windows should show two separate drive letters for your USB stick. I presume Mac does the same, although a "unix-style" filesystem just maps everything under / so it might be less apparent.

You formatted to have two partitions so you have "two drives". Even Windows should show two separate drive letters for your USB stick. I presume Mac does the same, although a "unix-style" filesystem just maps everything under / so it might be less apparent.
True I have two drives. One named TeslaCam the other Music. If you look at the picture on my first post it shows one with Zero songs and the other with 1023 songs. Are you saying one with zero songs is my TeslaCam folder? I don't remember previously ever seeing two USB drives listed under Music before but maybe I just wasn't looking for it.

I believe that Tesla detects two logical drives when you plug the USB stick, just like Windows would show two drive letters. It seems to look at each drive to see if there's music on each drive and reports what it found.
The tesla cam requires a special folder to operate. It seems like music doesn't and it looks at everything on the drive? Maybe you don't need to create two separate partitions anymore? Maybe you could have both music and the TeslaCam folder on the same drive now? I have to say I haven'T tried.

Reactions: player13
Sentry mode requires a folder called TeslaCam for it to work. There are no such requirements for music, so it will find all available drives for you to choose from. But Tesla will hide that sentry drive from you as an option for music if it is solely for sentry mode stuff. At least it does for me.

What complicates matters is that you have 1 physical USB drive partitioned into 2 logical drives if I understand you correctly, versus 2 physical drives and each physical drive only has a single partition.

I use 2 physical USB drives with each only having 1 partition. I have one physical drive dedicated to sentry and another stick just for music, and I have the Jeda USB hub for extra USB ports. When I choose USB under audio it does not show the sentry drive or give me a choice to select another one, it just defaults to my non sentry stick probably because I only have one non-sentry usb device.

So I suspect your issue is related to multiple partitions on a drive and Tesla does not exclude that from the music list, a bug maybe on how they discover and present drives, not expecting multiple partitions. If that physical drive only had a single partition and that was for sentry, then it would probably hide it from you.

If you have a couple of extra drives lying around, format one as single partition just for TeslaCam and format another as single for music. Remove all USB and insert those, just to see if you see what I see.

Reactions: player13
Sentry mode requires a folder called TeslaCam for it to work. There are no such requirements for music, so it will find all available drives for you to choose from. But Tesla will hide that sentry drive from you as an option for music if it is solely for sentry mode stuff. At least it does for me.

What complicates matters is that you have 1 physical USB drive partitioned into 2 logical drives if I understand you correctly, versus 2 physical drives and each physical drive only has a single partition.

I use 2 physical USB drives with each only having 1 partition. I have one physical drive dedicated to sentry and another stick just for music, and I have the Jeda USB hub for extra USB ports. When I choose USB under audio it does not show the sentry drive or give me a choice to select another one, it just defaults to my non sentry stick probably because I only have one non-sentry usb device.

So I suspect your issue is related to multiple partitions on a drive and Tesla does not exclude that from the music list, a bug maybe on how they discover and present drives, not expecting multiple partitions. If that physical drive only had a single partition and that was for sentry, then it would probably hide it from you.

If you have a couple of extra drives lying around, format one as single partition just for TeslaCam and format another as single for music. Remove all USB and insert those, just to see if you see what I see.
Thanks for the feedback. I've always used one drive formatted with two partitions and it works fine. I used the second USB connection on my hub for another device.

After 1 year of use, I ran out of space and needed to delete the old TeslaCam files. I never saw the two drives under the music tab until recently, after I deleted the recordings and reformatted and partitioned. I will admit maybe I just missed it, but I usually pick up on things like that.

Chatted with Tesla support, they suggested I try new USB device and if it doesn't go away, take it in for Service. That makes me think the music tab should only show USB drives with music on them.

If the music tab would show the size of each USB partition, I would know if it's just seeing both partitions (TeslaCam & Music) or remembering the old Music folder and seeing the new Music folder. With it showing 0MB | 0 songs and 0MB | 1023 songs who knows. The USB drive is always plugged in, unless you unmount it to unplug. Tesla could easily distinguish if Music exists on a partition and only present folders with existing music under the music tab.

I'll post and update after I get the new USB drive

Erased the drive back to 256GB. Formatted to APFS since I have a MAC. Re-partitioned to two drives, then reformatted both drives to exfat. Copied back music to music folder. Everything works (TeslaCam & Music), just annoying to see two drives when I only have one plugged in. FYI, I performed a power cycle and reboot after finding this issue (no change). I have another SanDisk MAX Endurance on order to see if that makes a difference. If the old USB storage goes away it's a Tesla software issue with reformatting and partitioning the same disk.
Hmm are you sure you used APFS? Can you plug the drive back into your Mac and post a screen shot of what Disk Admin shows?