Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two USB Sticks (one for sentry/dashcam, one for music)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Related question.
If you select "Format Drive" in the car, could it possible format the music drive? I think I just did that with both drives/sticks installed.
I think this may be the case but I've never tried, intentionally or otherwise, to format a USB memory storage device in my Tesla when more than one memory device is plugged in.

Or just use one drive for both:
The video demonstrates how to create a second partition on a USB device using a Mac. Also, the caveat that you must format the volume using FAT32 file system format is no longer true. The Tesla Dashcam and Sentry Mode viewer software can now format, recognize EXFAT and NTFS file system formats. MS Windows is still limited to 32GB when formatting a volume using FAT32 but now you don't have to use FAT32 for the Tesla USB, can use EXFAT or NTFS and the Tesla recognizes these file systems. It appears that MS Windows 10 requires that a USB drive be formatted using NTFS if the drive will be partitioned.

Last edited:
I learned some things that might be helpful on your journey:
- one drive for both did not work well. Music was often not recognized at all when starting up. Tried FAT32 with same issues.
- while you can use either exFAT or FAT32, I found that exFAT works fine for the sentry/dashcam (formatted with the car formatting button), and FAT32 for the music. exFAT for music was again not always seen on startup.
- I have a USB hub. Not sure if its related, but sometimes music played from USB will not restart after car startup. I have to go in and select the folder/artist/album again. Seems to be related to deep sleep overnight mostly. This behavior happens far less with the latest SW updates.
- camera drive gets lots of writes and can wear out or overheat a small USB thumb drive. I put in a Samsung T7 SSD for camera (designed for lots of R/W cycles) and a simple USB thumb drive for music (256GB).

I learned some things that might be helpful on your journey:
- one drive for both did not work well. Music was often not recognized at all when starting up. Tried FAT32 with same issues.
- while you can use either exFAT or FAT32, I found that exFAT works fine for the sentry/dashcam (formatted with the car formatting button), and FAT32 for the music. exFAT for music was again not always seen on startup.
- I have a USB hub. Not sure if its related, but sometimes music played from USB will not restart after car startup. I have to go in and select the folder/artist/album again. Seems to be related to deep sleep overnight mostly. This behavior happens far less with the latest SW updates.
- camera drive gets lots of writes and can wear out or overheat a small USB thumb drive. I put in a Samsung T7 SSD for camera (designed for lots of R/W cycles) and a simple USB thumb drive for music (256GB).

Thanks!

Tried to partition a flash drive with the GUID Partition Map as it was described here. The dashcam drive was recognized only after several attempts. The music drive didn't see any music files. Now, I'm trying to mimic the original flash drive that came with the car.

1. Execute in the macOS Terminal: diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk4 MBR ExFAT TESLADRIVE 75% ExFAT MUSIC 25%
2. Create folders: /TeslaCam/SavedClips

Likely, this wouldn't work as well. Will check it soon.

Read more about my attempt to make it work here: Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room