TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Two weeks away - charge now or not?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by brucet999, Aug 31, 2016.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I will be traveling tomorrow for two weeks leaving my S parked in the driveway. Today battery stands at 137 rated miles.

Should I charge to 90% first or leave as is?

Does it even matter either way?

2. Boourns

Boourns Member

Will it be plugged in? If so, set the charge level to 50% and do nothing else.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Doesn't anyone RTFM any more? Plug it in and let the battery management system manage the battery. If you want to set the charging level down to 50% that's fine, but 2 weeks isn't long term storage.

4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Parked in my driveway. Not a good idea to leave the UMC cord out on the ground in hot sun (not to mention possible vandalism) for two weeks, so, not plugged in.
    Hence my question.

5. dj905

dj905 Member

It's not essential, but I would charge to 90% and leave it. If I was in a colder climate/season, I would also put the display into energy saving mode and set it to range mode. Those things seem to reduce vampire drain.

6. Boourns

Boourns Member

In that case what I would do is make sure Always Connected was off and leave it as is. Even if you get 5 miles of vampire drain per day you'd still have 67 rated miles after 14 days.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

bruce bruce bruce....are you going to cover that baby up?
    At least you've got a coastal climate and its cooling down quite a bit next week.

8. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Make sure that Always Connected is turned off and Energy Saving mode is turned on. Plus, be aware that third party sites (VisibleTesla, TeslaLog, etc.) that are constantly pinging the Tesla API will keep the car awake all the time (except for TeslaFi which has a sleep mode that works pretty well).

9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

My UMC sits out in the hot FL sun in my driveway... Has for over 3 years! And it's fine. Just sayin

• Informative x 1
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

And the HPWCs at destination charging locations live outdoors all year long too, and their cables are frequently on the ground. Not sure why you think 2 weeks in the sun would be a problem.

• Like x 1
  11. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I would leave it at 55% with Energy Savings turned on and Always Connected off. The middle charge state (about 50-55%) is much better for the battery than leaving it at 90% if the car is not to be used for that long.

• Like x 1