Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Weeks with a Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When buying my 2019 M3 multiple test drives were done in every spec of M3 and I hunted down the different wheel options. The SR+ was, at that time, a 5 to 5.1 second 0 to 60 car with the occasional claim of someone seeing 4.9. Fast enough…. So I went in search of handling dynamics and in my humble opinion the lightest Tesla one can get ends up being the best handling Tesla. Not having a front motor results in a more pure steering feel and RWD (as much as you can turn off the traction control with slip start) allows some pointing of the car with the accelerator. Best, and most surprising, was that I can coax lift (throttle) oversteer out of the car and it is just as scary (and fun) as it is on an old 911. The regen is about perfect to transfer the weight and grip forward to assist the rear of the car in its rotation.

The suspension has the right parts, but in my 2019, there is some “monkey motion” (as Randy Pobst called it). Better rebound dampening is what I think it needs, but I would defer to someone at Mountain Pass or anyone with a more calibrated and younger ass than mine.

I am now considering a new P M3, but honestly, I think I prefer the RWD car with 400 lbs less weight over the front. Wish we could order the M3P with much lighter forged wheels. I hate those (always curbed and often bent) UberTurbines. Wouldn’t a M3P with just one carbon rotor from a Plaid and no autopilot hardware (pure steering, a la Lotus) be a blast?

My warranty is up. My SR+ has the “performance” read unit which supposedly can be uncorked for additional 50 HP. Maybe it is time to hooptie the thing….
Those SR+ models were definitely a sweet spot. The newest ones feel software limited below 25-30mph.

any pics?

good stuff!!! I'm on my second Cayman in the last 5 years(sold the 981 pdk for 718 6mt) and set to accept delivery on Wednesday of my first Tesla.
Pulled the trigger on a low mile 2020 M3P with EAP after test driving a DMLR about a month ago and was instantly hooked... can not wait!!!
Btw, I flew out to Tucson last June to pick up my latest Porsche and drove her home....Had no idea it could snow there as it was like 111 when I picked up my 718 that day 🥵

Can't wait to compare notes with my 718 in the handling dept....I know it will smash it in the 0-60 dept and cost per mile dept :cool:
How did you like the 981? I really, really wanted one of these before buying my 3, but 50k on a clean 981 S plus the yearly maintenance budget was not in the cards.