Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two-year headache chasing Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had one PW2 third-party installed on an existing 12.1 kW PV system in February 2020, as the pandemic was getting underway. Upon realizing a single PW was a bad call, a couple of months later I ordered a second one. Now, after waiting 2+ years, Tesla has told my installer that they're only selling to major dealers that order hundreds at a time.

Kind of a Catch 22 as my dealer stopped selling PWs a year or so ago when he couldn't reliably get them. He got a few earlier this year, but gave them to customers who had previously financed their systems and were making payments on non-existent PWs.

Appears I'm screwed. I'm trying to think of other options.

1. Tesla website shows a few other PW installers in the Kansas City area? Anybody here dealt with any of them? My guess is the others are smaller companies than my installer.

2. Can I reasonably switch to another battery? Maybe my dealer can sell my PW to another customer waiting for one and I go with another manufacturer. I have two electrical panels with the PW. I assume the Gateway will only work with a Tesla PW. Is that correct?

3. Can a PW+ be installed in an existing PW2 setup?

4. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Tesla warranty states it must be, "purchased from Tesla or a Tesla certified installer." That would seem to leave out those on ebay or TMC here.

Found a possibility. A new PW2 manufactured in 2020. Any problem with the battery sitting in the box for 19 - 31 months on a factory charge? Thanks.

Tesla warranty states it must be, "purchased from Tesla or a Tesla certified installer." That would seem to leave out those on ebay or TMC here.

Found a possibility. A new PW2 manufactured in 2020. Any problem with the battery sitting in the box for 19 - 31 months on a factory charge? Thanks.

Check out this post in this FS thread. IMO you should keep trying to source a Powerwall 2 from an authorized Powerwall seller/installer.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and BIC1
@holeydonut , WOW. That's some important info. I just got off the phone with Tesla tech support. The person told me the factory charge is 100% and it lasts for 6-8 months. The tech indicated there are no downsides to let it drain to zero and sit for a couple of years. According to @chadconway , that appears to be incorrect info.

@chadconway , The Tesla manual you referenced, below, notes, "...if unit has 25% SOE...." Is that how they're shipped? The tech at Tesla today told me they ship at 100% (tech may be misinformed). If so, would that mean it may be OK for up to four years? Thanks.

References to storage in this section refer to on-the-shelf conditions with batteries disconnected from the grid.
The maximum acceptable storage duration (without measures to maintain function) is 12 months if the unit has an initial SOE of 25% and humidity is < 95% non-condensing.
Storage Duration Allowable Temperature Range
Up to 1 week (–22 °F to 140 °F)
Up to 1 month (–22 °F to 113 °F)
Between 1 and 12 months (–4 °F to 86 °F)

@holeydonut , WOW. That's some important info. I just got off the phone with Tesla tech support. The person told me the factory charge is 100% and it lasts for 6-8 months. The tech indicated there are no downsides to let it drain to zero and sit for a couple of years. According to @chadconway , that appears to be incorrect info.

I had two powerwall 2s installed earlier this year by tesla. They were warranty replacements (not going to get into details there). The two powerwall 2 that were installed were around 30% charge when they were installed. I have no idea how long they sat at teslas warehouse, however given the product shortage of this particular product, I have my doubts that it would have sat around for long enough to drain from 100% to 30% in a tesla warehouse.

I certainly dont know, however. With that being said, if I had to choose between people to listen to on this topic, and one was "random tesla energy phone support employee" and the other was someone who self identifies as one of the creators of the powerwall product, I know which way I would be leaning.

Reactions: X-pilot